R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #121
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Is that Tekin RS Pro's PLURAL????

But you won't buy a VTA legal ESC... which are well under the price of a RS Pro brand new, let alone used.

This is what i don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
Whatever works but now that also means that I am penalized due to the fact that I only have RS Pro's so in the winter instead of me running VTA and TC at your track I will be limited to TC.
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #122
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMBA View Post
One of the guys at the local track showed up with one in a brand new $700 sedan chassis. He is a former national champion, and well known to be a huge sandbagger, looking for the softest class he can find.

I ran him over like he was jaywalking on the freeway at the end of the straight with my XXX-S and Novak motor in the first heat.

If you want to run one, knock yourself out. They aren't quicker.

On your other comment re: speed controls, you don't have to run Novak. I think you're dumb if you don't, I used to race a lot of 1s 17.5 blinky oval and the Novak stuff always made the most power on the dyno and always was fastest on track.

Disclaimer - nobody from Novak ever gave me anything. I am biased, I have to pay full list for my stuff, I'd like it to work, and my Novak stuff always does.

Sounds like OP doesn't like the idea of a spec class. Here's an idea - go run a non spec class like the normal 17.5 sedan class and have at it.
This post strikes me as ironic. Everyone posting how the beauty of the class is everything being equal and then people boasting about how their old stuff is so much faster than the new stuff.

I also don't get why people are so obsessed with what other people spend. What business is it of anyone what someone else spends on the hobby?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #123
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

thats simple...the guys running the older stuff...have taking that part out of the equation...the motor and esc are not a factor...they spend there time working on other things like setup, gearing, and drivetrain...and corner speed

another thing to like...once you get your motor and esc at max for the track...then you only worry about cleaning bearings, changing droop, cleaning pulleys(which is 2 tenth anyday), and things of this nature...and mostly...YOUR LINE and NO MISTAKES
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #124
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
Is that Tekin RS Pro's PLURAL????

But you won't buy a VTA legal ESC... which are well under the price of a RS Pro brand new, let alone used.

This is what i don't understand.
Read his post again. It says he already has the rs pro's and doesnt want to buy another esc .
Old 06-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #125
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303slowdown View Post
Read his post again. It says he already has the rs pro's and doesnt want to buy another esc .
I understand that...and I was that guy, as well as about 4-5 guys here as well. And we had an event coming up and I was worried about losing racers that are true to Tekin and other brands, as well as the money issue. But a decision was made to switch over to full US VTA..but we only lost one guy, and he came back once he got the Speed Passion.

another thing...you can find used GTB's or other US VTA esc's pretty cheap...we have some guys here getting them for around $40 or so...and even the hardcore VTA guys will sale you one cheaper just to get you racing...
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #126
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
thats simple...the guys running the older stuff...have taking that part out of the equation...the motor and esc are not a factor...they spend there time working on other things like setup, gearing, and drivetrain...and corner speed

another thing to like...once you get your motor and esc at max for the track...then you only worry about cleaning bearings, changing droop, cleaning pulleys(which is 2 tenth anyday), and things of this nature...and mostly...YOUR LINE and NO MISTAKES
you can do that with old or new stuff. people seriously need to let go of what other people spend.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #127
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
another thing...you can find used GTB's or other US VTA esc's pretty cheap...we have some guys here getting them for around $40 or so...and even the hardcore VTA guys will sale you one cheaper just to get you racing...
For real. Good tires and wheels cost you that. It does cost something to race. Even in VTA.

Why is this thread still open? Is this the official thread now? Yeah! its bugging me.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #128
Tech Champion

People get pleasure in this hobby from many different directions. Your "proven method" for doing that does not mean that's the case for everyone else. I have a setup that works for me in the class I run. A mixture of old and new. But I also get enjoyment from learning about and tryin new things. For example I tried a new motor all day yesterday in qualifying. When the mains came around I switched to my proven setup. I did horribly in all the qualifiers due to experimenting. You know what? I still had fun.

We all gotta stop worrying about what other people are doing and have fun driving our toy cars.

Stepping off my soap box now.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #129
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
People get pleasure in this hobby from many different directions. Your "proven method" for doing that does not mean that's the case for everyone else. I have a setup that works for me in the class I run. A mixture of old and new. But I also get enjoyment from learning about and tryin new things. For example I tried a new motor all day yesterday in qualifying. When the mains came around I switched to my proven setup. I did horribly in all the qualifiers due to experimenting. You know what? I still had fun.

We all gotta stop worrying about what other people are doing and have fun driving our toy cars.

Stepping off my soap box now.
Amen on that. I find a lot of racers have a win at all costs attitude and they are the ones who have lost the true meaning of the hobby and tend to ruin it for those of us who are here to enjoy the hobby.

Lets race and have FUN!!!
Old 06-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #130
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
For real. Good tires and wheels cost you that. It does cost something to race. Even in VTA.

Why is this thread still open? Is this the official thread now? Yeah! its bugging me.
Its still open because people keep posting.

this is a discussion about people who would like to run vta and help grow the class but do not want to be forced to purchase a Novak esc for one of many reasons. Its not about the money its the principal of being forced to buy something you don't want just to participate. I understand that all manufacturers have not built a speed control that fits the guidelines but this class is losing racers because of it. I also understand that you can buy used. Good luck with that. Used electronic equipment may not always be an option. I won't buy used unless I know the seller personally. Ever had to go through a PayPal dispute? In my opinion if you can't buy it new it doesn't count even if it is legal. The used argument doesn't fly with me. So if someone doesn't want to run a Novak they are forced to eBay a used speed passion???? Sorry but Novak does currently have a monopoly on this class. I also fully understand the if you don't like it then don't run it approach. That's fine but remember you are losing racers because of this approach.

I have never had a problem with Novak equipment and I still use it in my usgt car without any problems. I am not currently running vta because I only have one chassis and I am having a blast in usgt. I got out of vta for a few reasons and one of them was the arguments and responses about the rule set. I saw a lot of questions that were responded to in an aggressive way. I like the posts about learn to drive earlier in this thread. It made me laugh but it had a lot of truth to it.

As far as cheap racing......yeah right. No racing is cheap and if you want to run out front you better go to the ATM and get a nice cash withdrawl. It may be cheap to participate but all spec racing costs $$$$$$ if you want to run up front. Trying to keep it cheap by not allowing an esc based on price point (not saying it has happened) doesn't make sense to me. The only true way to control some costs is to spec one motor, one esc, one battery, one servo, one radio, and one chassis. Everyone runs identical equipment. No options. I seriously doubt a true cheap spec class would survive.

So what's the answer here???? Honestly I don't know. There is some head butting going on between the rules and the people who don't agree with them. There is stubbornness on both sides of this fence. Perhaps things would be better if the Roar version was never written. Who knows but that can is open now. The class must evolve to survive. Changes in technology will force this to happen. The class has evolved many times in the past. Its easier to keep up than to catch up with technology. Just be assured that this class is losing racers because of the Novak situation and the constant debates that go on in the vta thread over and over again. Same issues different weeks. I would like to make a return to vta but not until everything settles down and the waters get smooth again.

Just to throw this out there. Take it as you will. We run many cars in our usgt class. Some with Novak equipment some with lrp revtech trinity tekin reedy etc etc. Flip a coin on the winner for the night. All of the cars are very close and only seperated by driver skill. No one is looking to buy what the fast guys have because they think it will make them faster with the long shot possible exception of the chassis itself. Every once in a while the guy with the tc3 thinks he needs a xray or tc6 to keep up. Funny though the chassis discussion never comes up when people talk about the new guys. Its always the battery, motor, esc etc. The chassis can be the most expensive part of vta or usgt.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #131
Tech Master

I can read. I can also do math.

If one complains about spending more money after already spending an exorbitant amount of money I fail to understand their argument.

Tekin RS Pro- $230 at Tower Hobbies

Multiply that by X and I just have to laugh at not wanting to spend more money. Even if they were purchased used, that's still a lot of money when bought in multiples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303slowdown View Post
Old 06-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #132
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnR-Racing View Post
Amen on that. I find a lot of racers have a win at all costs attitude and they are the ones who have lost the true meaning of the hobby and tend to ruin it for those of us who are here to enjoy the hobby.

Lets race and have FUN!!!
Amen!! Pass the tylenol !
Old 06-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #133
Tech Master

You make good points except for this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
Its not about the money its the principal of being forced to buy something you don't want just to participate.
One could make the argument that if you want to run any boost class, you have to purchase a Tekin RS.

I know there are other ESCs out there with boost, but what percentage at any track is Tekin?

When brushless was just getting started this really irked me because I already had a brand new GTB and a used GTB. For whatever reason, some Florida tracks allowed boost in RCGT. So to keep up, I had to make a decision. Buy a Tekin or not. I didn't like it, but I didn't blow up forums complaining. I made the choice to buy one and didn't like having to drag a laptop to the track so i sold it and pursued VTA.

Those were the rules. I chose to follow them. Didn't like it. Moved on to something i did like. One would think this process isn't that difficult, but here we are 7 or 8 pages later...
Old 06-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #134
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
You make good points except for this one...

One could make the argument that if you want to run any boost class, you have to purchase a Tekin RS.

I know there are other ESCs out there with boost, but what percentage at any track is Tekin?

When brushless was just getting started this really irked me because I already had a brand new GTB and a used GTB. For whatever reason, some Florida tracks allowed boost in RCGT. So to keep up, I had to make a decision. Buy a Tekin or not. I didn't like it, but I didn't blow up forums complaining. I made the choice to buy one and didn't like having to drag a laptop to the track so i sold it and pursued VTA.

Those were the rules. I chose to follow them. Didn't like it. Moved on to something i did like. One would think this process isn't that difficult, but here we are 7 or 8 pages later...

I understand but at least you had a choice. You weren't forced to buy from the approved tekin list to participate. You chose to buy what the other fast guys had. You didn't like it so you moved on. Exactly what people are doing with vta. I like this class and want it to grow but people are "moving on"

I think what is really the topic of discussion on this thread is choice. If people had more options than Novak they would join the class. Right now there is no choice to make. There has to be other speed controls that Rob could approve. I wish someone would find one and let him know about it. Exactly like the op has done. Found an esc that has misleading information in the brochure and asked for it to be rereviewed based on the information he discovered. And Rob said he would look into it immediately. Sounds like things are working the way they should. I just hope everyone is happy with the results of the investigation and a good explanation as to why or why not is given.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #135
Tech Master

I agree and the problem isn't Novak's or Rob's.

For whatever reason though, that's where people put the blame. Maybe those complainers should complain to their favorite manufacturer for a VTA legal ESC.

ESCs that can't be hooked up to a computer and manipulated eliminates MANY headaches for MANY people. There SHOULD be more of them on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
I think what is really the topic of discussion on this thread is choice. If people had more options than Novak they would join the class. Right now there is no choice to make. There has to be other speed controls that Rob could approve.