R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default TT01R Motor and gear suggestions?

Hey guys Im a noob with this new RC car technology, when i was a kid, i owned a Kyosho ultima SC that lasted about a week before i nuked the transmission lol that was about the summary of my RC car days. Back then we had NiCd's that ran up to about 2500mah, brushed motors, and AM transmitters, and that was about it unless you were really into your game with these things. Now adays, brushless systems, LiPo batterys, spread spectrum controllers, and digital ESC's control the world.

My buddy recently challenged me to race his HPI E10 that he got straight out of the box so I started doing my research on getting back into the sport. I chose the TT01R Type-E because it was a sufficiently cheap, but well equipped chassis with alot of upgrade options.

Right off the bat i had to order some upgrades as i felt the chassis was lacking in some areas. Aluminum front knuckles, tie rods, and wheel hubs, to get some of the slop out of these horribly crappy plastic pieces.

Then i started looking at ESC and brushless motor combos, and holy shit are they expensive. 100-300 bucks for decent brands, no thanks, not on my budget. I have a REAL car im building that costs thousands as is. So i wound up doing some research on the chinese brands, and went with a Leopard ESC and brushless motor combo and ordered a Tacon motor on the side for when the Leopard fails, as they seem to fail OFTEN but the ESC's seem to be sufficiently decent for budget users if kept cool.

My motor options right now consist of...

Leopard 3000KV 13T brushless
Tacon 3900KV 17T brushless

The leopard is a 280size motor in a 540 can apparently, and the Tacon is a 380XL in a 540can. I currently have installed in the car 61T spur gear and a 22T pinion gear. I have the option of 58T and 55T spur gears.

Currently as it sits the gear ratio is 6.93:1 with the 58T spur it can be 6.59 and with the 55T 6.25:1.

Im looking for a combination of fast acceleration with a decent overall top speed. Not sure what the plastic spur gears and main diff gears will handle for overall speed however.

So any suggestions you guys have are welcome!
Spawne32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would go with this ESC:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

This motor:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_5135KV.html
RainStryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Tech Adept

thats awesome, however...out of the two that I have, which would be best? Im assuming that the 3900kv would be better because of the higher RPM/V, I dont now why but the tacon seems to have a much higher turn "rating" which seems to indicate it has a sufficient amount of torque as well.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:21 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would go with the Leopard.

Just got done installing my ESC and motor and took it out for a run about 10 minutes ago, that leopard will be all ya need.

Here is my motor:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_6069KV.html

Such awesome deal for a sensored motor.
RainStryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Well i got a bit of a surprise when I opened my box today, turns out I have a new upgraded version of the leopard kit compared to what URC reviewed a while back, this new controller has all sorts of extra features compared to what the more basic one had before. I dont know if the motor quality has improved at all though, the motor is definitely longer then the 380 size tacon i bought, which is weird to say the least as I thought the leopard motor would have been less powerful.

I have pictures but this stupid forum wont let me post them. lol