R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-16-2005, 03:55 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Battery Wars 2005 ExtremeRC please help!!!!

ExtremeRC please do a artical on the top of the line batteries from SMC, Promatch, Trinity, Reedy, Orion, Surge and Fusion, but here is the catch: all batteries must be bought from the LHS, no one must know about it, they all get tested on the same equipment i.e. Turbo-35 and on the track, which one are best for stock or mod.

I'm asking you because of all the magazines you call it like you see it

LET PUT THEIR NUMBERS TO THE TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:58 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Thats a really good idea.
ms2005fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:13 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: Battery Wars 2005 ExtremeRC please help!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgmeat
ExtremeRC please do a artical on the top of the line batteries from SMC, Promatch, Trinity, Reedy, Orion, Surge and Fusion, but here is the catch: all batteries must be bought from the LHS, no one must know about it, they all get tested on the same equipment i.e. Turbo-35 and on the track, which one are best for stock or mod.

I'm asking you because of all the magazines you call it like you see it

LET PUT THEIR NUMBERS TO THE TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feel free to share your thought
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:23 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

its been done before in past issues but really it hasno significance. see every battery performs differently sothe same battery I buy may not be the same you buy
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:32 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The other issue is that the test conditions may not be the same conditions the manufacturers use while matching cells. Temperature greatly influences the test results. This could make certain manufacturers "numbers" closer to others depending on who's matching conditions is closest to the conditions used in the test.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:57 PM   #6
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I was bouncing around ideas in this area (as well as for measuring the quality of the charge that a charger puts out) but in the end it would be a very difficult thing to do.

First, you have to understand that very few companies' cells can be directly matched by their label numbers since everybody has a different method. So you'd have to come up with some way to verify the numbers on the cells. But to do that, you'd have to use their process, so in the end, you are just re-matching the cells yourself.

About the only useful comparison I could come up with would be to take a look at each matcher's range of numbers, define three categories (like pro, high-end, mid-level) and then take a few packs from each level for each matcher and test them thoroughly. Cross-reference that with the price and see what you come up with.

However, the work involved in a test like that would be pretty insane, and I still don't think you'd be able to come up with a strong conclusion. Besides, ALL of these matchers are using the same cells! So at the end of the day, it doesn't matter who you go with, you are still getting the same stuff.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:57 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im just sad to see battery wars like they are. It seems everytime a new good battery comes out, someone make some new ones with more capacity.
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:20 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Wink Re: Re: Battery Wars 2005 ExtremeRC please help!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgmeat
Feel free to share your thought

Why would they want to do that? That could possibly show the real truth, which may hurt their advertisement dollars.... food for thought ...The REAL TRUTH: Numbers are relative.. it's the whole package: Your setup, driving skills and so on...I would like to see more articles on drivers edicate, motor tuning, chasse setups, speedo setups, interviews with Factory sponsored drivers and so on.......Lets remember this is just a hobby, not a sport. Only a FEW individuals make an excellent living from this hobby at which point it's a JOB. I do Hate long post! The real truth for me, is to have FUN and not to concern myself with milivolts or seconds. That's the advertisers Job !

TURBO GFX>>>> http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?p=4329165#post4329165
Tekin Battery Nurse >>>> http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?p=4329173#post4329173

Thanks for looking
Drew_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:56 PM   #9
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: Re: Re: Battery Wars 2005 ExtremeRC please help!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Drew_Cat
Why would they want to do that? That could possibly show the real truth, which may hurt their advertisement dollars....
I don't get it. The real truth is that all of the cells come from the same place. And that is already common knowledge!

Pick your batteries based on price, service, geographic location, astrological sign, whatever works for you. But they are still the same cells coming from the same place.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:02 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by runnin rc10
Im just sad to see battery wars like they are. It seems everytime a new good battery comes out, someone make some new ones with more capacity.
It used to be worse. At least ROAR has somewhat protected us with the once a year approval process. Club and Non-ROAR races dont have to abide by the approvals though.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:17 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Emil
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Battery Wars 2005 ExtremeRC please help!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
I don't get it. The real truth is that all of the cells come from the same place. And that is already common knowledge!

Pick your batteries based on price, service, geographic location, astrological sign, whatever works for you. But they are still the same cells coming from the same place.
So what your saying is that different methods for voltage increasing as an example is a marketing scam?

Source: LRP website - www.lrp-electronic.de

Source Team Orion website (www.teamorion.com):

V-Max Plus Process

It's time for the V-Max activation.
The World Championship winning Team Orion V-Max Plus process has been design in house. The effect is to permanently reduce the internal resistance of the cells which will generate higher voltage output under load.

V-Max Plus Activation

Each individual cell receives the V-Max process. The computer controlled machine is adjusted for each type of cell to generate maximum performance.
The V-MAX system was partly developed by a nuclear physicist from CERN (European Institute For Nuclear Research).
The device is pretty big and is not easily transportable.

I have to disagree...

- Emil
Emil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:48 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Battery Wars 2005 ExtremeRC please help!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal

True...

But what about the Special 3600 Sanyos that were hand made that only Team Yokomo & Orion could get a hold of..??... .Yes it's true that that might come from the same places but some companys might not be selling the same cell .
any thoughs??
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:09 PM   #13
Tech Regular

A neat suggestion, I'd say.

Here's another thought... does anyone ever think that eventually the battery matchers will no longer be necessary?

The higher the manufacturing quality of batteries becomes, the tighter the specs on the batteries. If battery manufacturers ever got to the point where their cells were very close to each other...

Danny (SMC) mentioned that GP already cycles their batteries at the factory and sells them by grade. Therefore, isn't GP is effectively already in the matching business.

Interestingly, he also mentioned that the Intellect cells aren't cycled at the factory. If their variance between cells are roughly that of the GP cells, then the IB cells would perhaps be considerably more in need of matching than the GP cells.

Forgive me for even mentioning it... it's just that I've got to buy batteries pretty soon, and since we all know that unmatched retail cells cost less than 5 bucks each... it'd be really great one day to buy "good" packs for $30 instead of $60.
Bob Nilsen is offline   Reply With Quote