R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-16-2005, 08:29 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default tire traction compound...how long to soak?

I'm fairly new to this thing and I've been wondering, how long should I be leaving traction compound on the tires before driving? How does this actually work? Does the additive soften up the tires or does the liquid itself generate grip?

If it softens up the tires, should I be wiping it off before I drive?

thanks in advance.
lateapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:10 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

Yes it softens the tire and you're supposed to wipe it off a few minutes before your run, the tires should not be wet when entering the track. Soak period can vary, if the surface is high traction, only a few minutes may be necessary but if you need traction then let it soak for at least 30 minutes.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:01 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

I like to soak the rears about 30 minutes before a heat and wipe them off about 5 minutes before you go out onto the track. I only cover about 1/4 of the inside front tires.
valem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Depends on the track/tyre. Usually full rears and half to full fronts for 10-15 mins wiping 5 mins before my race.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:45 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Soak rears for 30 min do fronts as you need it.

A suggestion:

Instead of wiping the compund off...Why not have your track place a square of carpet next to the drivers stand. It's called a burnout pad.

Just hold the front of your car and put it on the pad and give it a good burst of throttle.

Heats up tires and wipes away excess compund.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:54 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Ive only used traction compound on the rear tires of my 12th scale, since they are foam, it dont take long to soak in, then i wipe them down and turn it loose. It may take a lap or two for all the excess to wear off, but once it does...look out.
RCNitroDude999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 12:24 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My tire juice process:

I only use Jack the Gripper (all the track in my area only allow this)

For 12th scale:
1/3 to 1/2 up front
Full in the rear
Leave on for 15ish minutes, then wipe off 10 minutes before your race starts.
Before starting I'll drive the car slowly turning left/right quickly so eveything is even and no "wet" spots are left.

For TC:
None up front (I've got a T1 Fk, thing turns like a mutha so no extra compound up front. You can use 1/3 to 1/2 as needed)
Full in the rear
Same process as the 12thy.

Good luck.
ddesros2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 12:41 PM   #8
Tech Adept

what does it do leaving on for 15-30 mins that it doesnt do in 5?
hugh janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:11 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Because as soon as you run your car, the tire surface will start to wear out together with any compound you put on it, 5 min is too short for the compound to go deep enough under the surface of the tire. On average it takes 15-30 min, depending on the condition of the track, etc.
JosephatCRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:22 PM   #10
TC3
Tech Regular

should i use less compound if the tires are overheating, or let it soak for a short time ?
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:23 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

1/2 Hour before 1st heat, then clean and reaply when prepping your car, dont worry if there still wet a couple of parade laps will take car of that, and your also warming, and setting up your tires the proper way with the actual movements the car will be taking in the race! only do a wing held burnout if your late to the line and they are waiting for you.
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:29 PM   #12
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

For me, it all depends on the grove/traction available on the track. It varries from not using any at all to putting it on and wiping it right off to letting it sit for 15-20 minutes. If I do use it, I time it so that I wipe the tires off dry and then set my car right on the track...I don't wipe it off and then let the car sit for 5 minutes or anything.
Full backs and the inside 1/4 to 1/2 of the front!
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:40 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

As far as how much to put on the rear or the front depends on how your car, is handling and the surface at the time, if your pushing (front wants to go to the outside) put a full dose on the front, little none or whatever you think would be ideal at the time on the rear, same goes for if the rear is loose more on the rear less on the front.
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:35 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie O
1/2 Hour before 1st heat, then clean and reaply when prepping your car, dont worry if there still wet a couple of parade laps will take car of that, and your also warming, and setting up your tires the proper way with the actual movements the car will be taking in the race! only do a wing held burnout if your late to the line and they are waiting for you.
Or if the track doesn't allow wet tires on the course. Thats the main reason we use a burnout pad.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:06 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TC3
should i use less compound if the tires are overheating, or let it soak for a short time ?
That'll depend on the conditions you run in. Are you running in hot conditions, or are you just running the very softest tire you can get your hands on? In general, if your tires are really overheating, then you may simply need to run a harder compound, some tires just won't hold up under the heat, which is why many of them now come with temp rating(the range of temps where they'll work best), & if you use a tire that's not intended for those temps, then you run the risk of them overheating & losing grip early in a run, no matter what you do with traction compounds. Why don't you give us an idea of what you're using & the conditions you're in, & maybe we can help you sort it out....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote