R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-17-2005, 01:54 AM   #16
Tech Addict

This is the method I am using these days, and it works very well for me.

This is from the 1:12 forum written by "Elvo" :
(I am to lazy to explain!)

The first time you use a tire, apply a coat of traction compound, but wipe most of it off. Let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes.
The second and third time you use that tire, apply traction compound, wipe it off very well, and let it sit for ... anything between 5 and 15 minutes. How long you let it sit isn't crtical anymore.
With this method, only the outer surface of the tire is soft. The inside is still firm, so the tire is well supported and resistent to chunking.

If a tire has had too much traction compound on it, and you want to use it again, you will have to let it dry out. So, you might want to begin with cleaning it with motor cleaner. If you wipe it, and your rag is still black, it's not clean yet.
You can let it air-dry, it will take a while for the inside of the foam to completely dry out. You can put them somewhere warm, like on top of your power supply, which does speed up the process. I've heard of people putting their tires on the stove for almost a week. I'm not sure if that's overkill or a good idea.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:28 AM   #17
TC3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Grizzbob
That'll depend on the conditions you run in. Are you running in hot conditions, or are you just running the very softest tire you can get your hands on? In general, if your tires are really overheating, then you may simply need to run a harder compound, some tires just won't hold up under the heat, which is why many of them now come with temp rating(the range of temps where they'll work best), & if you use a tire that's not intended for those temps, then you run the risk of them overheating & losing grip early in a run, no matter what you do with traction compounds. Why don't you give us an idea of what you're using & the conditions you're in, & maybe we can help you sort it out....
i run on rubber on carpet..
i use sorex24 or pit24r for the first runs, works very well. but after a few heats traction is coming up and my tires overheat after 2 laps.
now can i do something with less traction compound or less soaking time or other traction compund?
or is using a harder tire the only thing i can do ?
thx
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:18 PM   #18
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekin
This is the method I am using these days, and it works very well for me.

This is from the 1:12 forum written by "Elvo" :
(I am to lazy to explain!)

The first time you use a tire, apply a coat of traction compound, but wipe most of it off. Let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes.
The second and third time you use that tire, apply traction compound, wipe it off very well, and let it sit for ... anything between 5 and 15 minutes. How long you let it sit isn't crtical anymore.
With this method, only the outer surface of the tire is soft. The inside is still firm, so the tire is well supported and resistent to chunking.

If a tire has had too much traction compound on it, and you want to use it again, you will have to let it dry out. So, you might want to begin with cleaning it with motor cleaner. If you wipe it, and your rag is still black, it's not clean yet.
You can let it air-dry, it will take a while for the inside of the foam to completely dry out. You can put them somewhere warm, like on top of your power supply, which does speed up the process. I've heard of people putting their tires on the stove for almost a week. I'm not sure if that's overkill or a good idea.
hmmm that's a very interesting point about letting your tires dry out so you can "start over again" with the traction compound. If I had more money, I would try it I just can't afford a new set of tires right now if it dries them out and are unusable...

About wiping them with motor cleaner, I wipe them so my rag is clean before every run. Aren't you supposed to do this?
lateapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 02:10 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by TC3
i run on rubber on carpet..
i use sorex24 or pit24r for the first runs, works very well. but after a few heats traction is coming up and my tires overheat after 2 laps.
now can i do something with less traction compound or less soaking time or other traction compund?
or is using a harder tire the only thing i can do ?
thx
Maybe, or you could try a slightly different tire, like TakeOff's CS-27's(fairly similar grip but they seem to hold up a bit better with higher temps, IMO). Aside from that, you might play around with some different compounds(if your track will allow it), like TQ Blue or Red(Red is a longer lasting one but it doesn't soften a tire quite as much, meant more for foam tires in 8 minute heats, but it has its uses on rubber too).....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:18 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by JosephatCRC
Because as soon as you run your car, the tire surface will start to wear out together with any compound you put on it, 5 min is too short for the compound to go deep enough under the surface of the tire. On average it takes 15-30 min, depending on the condition of the track, etc.
on my foam tires, the sauce moistens the foam (all of the foam) in a matter of seconds. thats why if you get a drop on the tire when they are dry, the drop wil expand as it is absorbed by the foam in seconds. i would think that this would hold true for the foam closest to the rim as well.
i have put traction compound on 30 secs b4 a heat and did not feel a bit of difference. but with rubber tires i would expect the longer the better since the rubber appears to repell moisture.
hugh janus is offline   Reply With Quote