R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wales
Posts: 26
Default onroad kit

Hi guys,
what is a good first on road kit for someone new to onroad rc for club racing
Any help is appreciated.
__________________
Associated RC8T RS- proline tyres

Associated SC10 RTR- castle sidewinder sct, j-concepts tiers

Last edited by RCKID11; 06-03-2012 at 03:50 AM.
RCKID11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Tech Regular
 
bencason's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Almost Western Maryland
Posts: 392
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCKID11 View Post
Hi guys,
what is a good first on road kit for someone new to onroad rc for club racing
Any help is appreciated.
I can't make a exact brand recommendation. I would suggest that you visit the track where you plan to race and see what kit is most popular. It is a lot easier to get help if you are running he same gear as everyone else. It also makes finding spares a lot easier.

Good luck and welcome to on road racing!
__________________
The RC cars are in storage but not forgotten
One of these days, I'll be back to racing... somewhere
bencason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Tech Regular
 
rdlkgliders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: So. Cal High Desert Hobbies
Posts: 458
Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default

I would buy something used. If you have the same car as other racers it makes it easy to get setup help. Most clubs have at the very least one or two xrays the xray t2 any year ( great first car) can be bought relatively cheap, 150.00 or less W/O electronics
__________________
Serpent, KO Propo, Viper, Savox, ProTek
Team Waldorf Racing

Your not lapping me, you just caught up to me again!!!
rdlkgliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #4
Tech Master
 
snuvet75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,406
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCKID11 View Post
Hi guys,
what is a good first on road kit for someone new to onroad rc for club racing
Any help is appreciated.
It depends on your budget. If you're willing to spend more than $400, I would buy either used x-ray or TC6 or TCX.

It also depends on your local track. X-ray seems to do better with high traction track than outdoor asphalt. On the contrary, TCX is better outdoor due to chassis flex.

When you buy used one, you should be willing to disassemble the whole thing to rebuild it. Your driving style is different than others and the seller might have run it in different track than what you'll run your car on.

If you don't want to spend time, effort and money, just go buy TC3 or 4. Don't even look at Tamiya cars since those can be very tricky to set for novices. Just remember, as you get better and get more indulged in this hobby, you'll regret buying a car with less adjustable options. I've bought so many cars and helicopters and I had the same regrets.

Good luck.
snuvet75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

If you're on a budget go sakura zero S. If not sakura xi or xray. Parts may be an issue for any of these cars though. Associated tc 6.1 deserves a mention too. All great cars.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Stockport, UK
Posts: 982
Default

Visit your local club and see what's popular there, as the more popular the car the more setup help you can get, and the more people are likely to have spares to help you out when you break yours. For example at my local club almost everyone uses Tamiya, Schumacher or Xray, anything else you would be on your own regarding any help. You will also see if anyone there has a chassis for sale.

Then check what spares you can get locally, or at least quickly.
The Sakura Zero S is a bargain to get started, but unless you buy in plenty of spares yourself you will either be waiting a week for anything to turn up from Hong Kong or having to pay the prices the importer sells them at, which can make even Xray parts seem cheap. Tamiyas are also hard to get hold of TRF parts in the UK, but with most people running Tamiyas at my club there are plenty of spares amongst all the drivers if you break anything so you have more chance to keep running.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Visit your local club and see what's popular there, as the more popular the car the more setup help you can get, and the more people are likely to have spares to help you out when you break yours. For example at my local club almost everyone uses Tamiya, Schumacher or Xray, anything else you would be on your own regarding any help. You will also see if anyone there has a chassis for sale.

Then check what spares you can get locally, or at least quickly.
The Sakura Zero S is a bargain to get started, but unless you buy in plenty of spares yourself you will either be waiting a week for anything to turn up from Hong Kong or having to pay the prices the importer sells them at, which can make even Xray parts seem cheap. Tamiyas are also hard to get hold of TRF parts in the UK, but with most people running Tamiyas at my club there are plenty of spares amongst all the drivers if you break anything so you have more chance to keep running.
I agree that the sakura parts will likely need to be ordered unless you are lucky enough to be near tq racing or hot shot hobby but the prices are still lower than x ray parts. Even with shipping from Hong Kong or from the US dealers. Not arguing just posting the info.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Stockport, UK
Posts: 982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
I agree that the sakura parts will likely need to be ordered unless you are lucky enough to be near tq racing or hot shot hobby but the prices are still lower than x ray parts. Even with shipping from Hong Kong or from the US dealers. Not arguing just posting the info.
The OP is from the UK, and the Sakura Zero is sold here only through the importers. They price front or rear uprights at $15, suspension arms are $15 which matches the prices of Xray spares. Of course it's much cheaper to buy them from Hong Kong.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
The OP is from the UK, and the Sakura Zero is sold here only through the importers. They price front or rear uprights at $15, suspension arms are $15 which matches the prices of Xray spares. Of course it's much cheaper to buy them from Hong Kong.
Ok sorry. Missed that point. Thanks for setting me straight.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SLASH 4X4 ONROAD KIT!! nightfire R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 02-13-2011 03:47 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:26 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net