onroad kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 01:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Default onroad kit

Hi guys,
what is a good first on road kit for someone new to onroad rc for club racing
Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by RCKID11; 06-03-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCKID11
Hi guys,
Any help is appreciated.
I can't make a exact brand recommendation. I would suggest that you visit the track where you plan to race and see what kit is most popular. It is a lot easier to get help if you are running he same gear as everyone else. It also makes finding spares a lot easier.

Good luck and welcome to on road racing!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

I would buy something used. If you have the same car as other racers it makes it easy to get setup help. Most clubs have at the very least one or two xrays the xray t2 any year ( great first car) can be bought relatively cheap, 150.00 or less W/O electronics
Old 07-01-2012, 04:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by RCKID11
Hi guys,
Any help is appreciated.
It depends on your budget. If you're willing to spend more than $400, I would buy either used x-ray or TC6 or TCX.

It also depends on your local track. X-ray seems to do better with high traction track than outdoor asphalt. On the contrary, TCX is better outdoor due to chassis flex.

When you buy used one, you should be willing to disassemble the whole thing to rebuild it. Your driving style is different than others and the seller might have run it in different track than what you'll run your car on.

If you don't want to spend time, effort and money, just go buy TC3 or 4. Don't even look at Tamiya cars since those can be very tricky to set for novices. Just remember, as you get better and get more indulged in this hobby, you'll regret buying a car with less adjustable options. I've bought so many cars and helicopters and I had the same regrets.

Good luck.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

If you're on a budget go sakura zero S. If not sakura xi or xray. Parts may be an issue for any of these cars though. Associated tc 6.1 deserves a mention too. All great cars.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Visit your local club and see what's popular there, as the more popular the car the more setup help you can get, and the more people are likely to have spares to help you out when you break yours. For example at my local club almost everyone uses Tamiya, Schumacher or Xray, anything else you would be on your own regarding any help. You will also see if anyone there has a chassis for sale.

Then check what spares you can get locally, or at least quickly.
The Sakura Zero S is a bargain to get started, but unless you buy in plenty of spares yourself you will either be waiting a week for anything to turn up from Hong Kong or having to pay the prices the importer sells them at, which can make even Xray parts seem cheap. Tamiyas are also hard to get hold of TRF parts in the UK, but with most people running Tamiyas at my club there are plenty of spares amongst all the drivers if you break anything so you have more chance to keep running.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by terry.sc
Visit your local club and see what's popular there, as the more popular the car the more setup help you can get, and the more people are likely to have spares to help you out when you break yours. For example at my local club almost everyone uses Tamiya, Schumacher or Xray, anything else you would be on your own regarding any help. You will also see if anyone there has a chassis for sale.

Then check what spares you can get locally, or at least quickly.
The Sakura Zero S is a bargain to get started, but unless you buy in plenty of spares yourself you will either be waiting a week for anything to turn up from Hong Kong or having to pay the prices the importer sells them at, which can make even Xray parts seem cheap. Tamiyas are also hard to get hold of TRF parts in the UK, but with most people running Tamiyas at my club there are plenty of spares amongst all the drivers if you break anything so you have more chance to keep running.
I agree that the sakura parts will likely need to be ordered unless you are lucky enough to be near tq racing or hot shot hobby but the prices are still lower than x ray parts. Even with shipping from Hong Kong or from the US dealers. Not arguing just posting the info.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 6376vette
I agree that the sakura parts will likely need to be ordered unless you are lucky enough to be near tq racing or hot shot hobby but the prices are still lower than x ray parts. Even with shipping from Hong Kong or from the US dealers. Not arguing just posting the info.
The OP is from the UK, and the Sakura Zero is sold here only through the importers. They price front or rear uprights at $15, suspension arms are $15 which matches the prices of Xray spares. Of course it's much cheaper to buy them from Hong Kong.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by terry.sc
The OP is from the UK, and the Sakura Zero is sold here only through the importers. They price front or rear uprights at $15, suspension arms are $15 which matches the prices of Xray spares. Of course it's much cheaper to buy them from Hong Kong.
Ok sorry. Missed that point. Thanks for setting me straight.