Wiki Posts
Search

Project: LED RC Scoreboard

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NolanP
I think what I'm gonna be saying is no more talking of how to....how much? Can it be run through a network to have the screens inside while there is racing outside to follow along in the pits?
Sure, over the network. Can you run cables? Relying on WiFi will break your heart.

Cost is hard to predict. The cost of equipment (LCD TV, cables, possibly a second computer, internet.) If you've got a somewhat clued IT guy racing with you, willing to work for free, that helps.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Sure, over the network. Can you run cables? Relying on WiFi will break your heart.

Cost is hard to predict. The cost of equipment (LCD TV, cables, possibly a second computer, internet.) If you've got a somewhat clued IT guy racing with you, willing to work for free, that helps.
Was curious cause having this board inside the pits to follow action would make life easier and I'm sure Scott from Leisure Hours wouldn't mind it at his facility. Especially for the Nats
Old 06-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I've been receiving PMs about this project recently as word spreads.

Unfortunately, it would be almost impossible to duplicate somewhere else. Even if you can find the LED signs used, you never know what you're actually getting or if they'll work until you sit down and start bit banging them. That sounds kinda hot.

I still think a legitimate second option would be to get a video card with HDMI out, split that signal and send it to some LCD TV's strategically located around the track. The TV's can't been seen from much of a distance, which is definitely a limitation, but depending on your track layout, that might not matter.

We've been using the system the past few weeks at Mile High. Last Thursday was the first time I didn't have to fix any bugs in the code in the middle of a race, and it even gracefully handled an edge case I hadn't tested (where a class is added only for the mains, no quals). I also started using the "amber" color in most places rather than red or green since it appears to light both colors simultaneously, which makes it brighter. It's also more visible for certain types of color blindness. Yes, friends, accessibility concerns in your software even extend to the RC track.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
We might need to get a collection together..
PM to you, Mike.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey Guys

I have an indoor r/c track in the Visalia Ca are, Exeter Hobbies and I would like to get our race data from RCSP on to a TV screen.

I seen the posts have just stopped and no more info has been shared. Is there a way to do this?

Any info or help to make our track better and more efficient would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark Hull
Old 03-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

We use these to replicate our displays to the hobby shop and pits utilizing LCD monitors http://www.startech.com/AV/Extenders...eries~ST121UTP
Old 03-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks jmackani

I have considered that but I was hoping for a cleaner way of doing that. The screen the director is viewing is not always going to show the information I was our spectators and racers to view.

I am really shocked no one has pushed do get something like this done. Seems like it would help make RCSP the leader in this pack if he had a feature like what me and others are looking for.