R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-15-2005, 11:24 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default X-Ray T1FK or T1FK05

Trying to decide between a T1FK and T1FK05 - a lot of unknowns with the 05, I know - but I don't want to buy a car that is already "behind the curve" so to speak....

Any thoughts?
Old 02-15-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

you can choose to be a follower, or a leader...if your not up to trying something new...or dont have confidence in your set up abilities....get an fk....no one but you can say whats best for you...evaluate what you have to wrok with...and go for it......
Mdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 04:27 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Wow - lots of views, but only one opinion?

"Evaluate what you have to work with" - ? I don't follow...
Old 02-15-2005, 04:46 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to g_bruin Send a message via Yahoo to g_bruin

If you feel the need to keep up with the latest, then go for the FK05. If you want something that has been very well proven, then stick with the FK.

You are right that there are many unknowns now as to FK05's ability. But having been with Xray since the T1, I am confident that the 05FK will be just as good if not better thank FK. I just got the FK a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be any happier.

It is, by far, the most radical change compared to previous models but it is still an Xray.
g_bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Since there are no FKs to be found anywhere, it's a no brainer. Just wait for the FK05 to arrive. I don't thnk shops will carry the FK once the FK05 arrives. Everyone tends to get the newer kit to stay ahead. If you are really set on a FK, you can pick up a used one for cheap after the FK05 arrives.
Headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 04:57 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

there are a few FK kits on ebay, but look for them to be grossly overpriced as they are quite a rare find.

I had an EVO2 and i must say it was awesome, an FK could only be better. I really dont think you could go wrong with either car.
NVisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:04 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Either car is going to be awesome to drive ...

I just sold my FK - not the get the FK05 (well not right-away) ... but I have no complaints about the car. It was smooth, consistent, and durable - since I am only really a club racer, I doubt I will notice the difference between the two cars whenever I decide to get the new FK05.

That leads to my point - you should base your decision on a couple things:

1) your budget ... a used (and well cared for) FK may be a great deal for you. The car is still an X-Ray - the build quality is awesome. One of the faster guys at my track still uses an EVO2 and whips most people.

2) Your skill at setting-up the car. The FK has a ton of set-ups available to you - all with different track conditions ... the FK05 - none yet. It would be quite a bit of trial and error with the FK05, if you have the skills they this does't matter to you.

Either way, I am sure that as a non-pro driver, either choice will have you end-up with a great car.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by g_bruin
If you feel the need to keep up with the latest, then go for the FK05. If you want something that has been very well proven, then stick with the FK.

You are right that there are many unknowns now as to FK05's ability. But having been with Xray since the T1, I am confident that the 05FK will be just as good if not better thank FK. I just got the FK a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be any happier.

It is, by far, the most radical change compared to previous models but it is still an Xray.
Although the current Xray FK is awesome car,the FK '05 kit is really a step foward in handling.During the last day of practice @ Snowbird's, I was given a new FK'05 to build and race with.The quality of the part's and finish is still top notch,and the car is still very well balanced and the car seems to carry more corner speed and have more steering than the old FK.The chassis is alot narrower and the sides did not touch down,so I could run the car lower than my older kit and the drive train has less drag(larger pulley's)
All of the part's from the FK will transfer over to the new FK 05 kit(including the belt's) with the exception of:Layshaft,bulkhead's,topdeck's,diff pulley's and steering bellcrank/servo saver.)So If you have a stocked part's box you have nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps,Good luck racing!
Brian Jucha
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:19 AM   #9
Tech Master

More steering than an FK? Is that even possible? LOL
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:19 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackKat
i was thinking the same thing. Insane
NVisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 12:30 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackKat
More steering , I'm trying to dial out steering on my FK.

I've only been out one race day with it so far, it has MAD amounts on steering, but it takes it like champ. I can rip the car into any corner and it stays locked down perfect. I just need more practice time
ddesros2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:04 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianJ
Although the current Xray FK is awesome car,the FK '05 kit is really a step foward in handling.During the last day of practice @ Snowbird's, I was given a new FK'05 to build and race with.The quality of the part's and finish is still top notch,and the car is still very well balanced and the car seems to carry more corner speed and have more steering than the old FK.The chassis is alot narrower and the sides did not touch down,so I could run the car lower than my older kit and the drive train has less drag(larger pulley's)
All of the part's from the FK will transfer over to the new FK 05 kit(including the belt's) with the exception of:Layshaft,bulkhead's,topdeck's,diff pulley's and steering bellcrank/servo saver.)So If you have a stocked part's box you have nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps,Good luck racing!
Brian Jucha
Thanks Brian, nice work last week at the Birds. I'll see you this weekend with a lot of questions, I'm sure.

Matt Clinton
MClinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:09 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

I would have to go with the Xray t1FK05.
ms2005fl is offline   Reply With Quote