R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #121
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzrockey View Post
would the 12.5 high rpm rotor give more low end then the stock rotor but just as much top end?

No....12.5RPM rotor would give less bottom end and more RPM (top end). It will also run hotter for the most part.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #122
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Will the 13.5 be some color other than ugly f*ing purple?
No they are the same color sadly. But they do perform well on the dyno!

17.5's in house, hot and ready! Rest of the 13.5's are coming early next week. Only a few of each left right now.

[email protected]

EA
Old 06-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #123
Team EAM

Quote:
So what's the best motor if you drive right to the apex and crank the wheel? Smooth is boring.
A 4.5 with boost

EA
Old 06-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #124
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Are you guys running max timing on the motor? 20degs plus the 30degs that's built in? On my D3 I found that a notch and a half from max timing was optimal.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #125
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.C View Post
Are you guys running max timing on the motor? 20degs plus the 30degs that's built in? On my D3 I found that a notch and a half from max timing was optimal.
Hey John,

After a few weeks with the motor some of the guys I have sent some too are finding about 15 degrees on the endbell in blinky and gear up about 2 teeth from a revtech to start is working well. The gearing really depends on the track size, layout and temp though.

On the dyno Ive found that between 15-20 degrees is where they dyno best but I have not personally ran one on a track as I am not racing this summer. Most will go up to about 25 on the endbell but the motor starts stuttering and looses all torque under a load on the dyno at that setting.

EA
Old 06-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #126
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
A 4.5 with boost
This is going to end in tears.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #127
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Hey John,

After a few weeks with the motor some of the guys I have sent some too are finding about 15 degrees on the endbell in blinky and gear up about 2 teeth from a revtech to start is working well. The gearing really depends on the track size, layout and temp though.

On the dyno Ive found that between 15-20 degrees is where they dyno best but I have not personally ran one on a track as I am not racing this summer. Most will go up to about 25 on the endbell but the motor starts stuttering and looses all torque under a load on the dyno at that setting.

EA
Thanks EA!! Unfortunately, my first opportunity to run the D3.5 17.5 motor will be on the 30th at Jackson's Independance day race. I'm sure I'll be scrambling in the morning to narrow down the gearing. Right now I'm thinking 3.5 - 3.9 FDR range. I'll be prepared to go taller or shorter if necessary.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #128
Tech Lord

I'm really conflicted on this whole motor thing. I hear about how fast motors like Hacker and Team Powers are on big tracks like Reedy, but on carpet tracks, I'm just not seeing it. It seems like long stator motors are better there. What's the deal with that? More torque? Will the D3.5 change my mind? It sounds like all the testing is being done on a giant outdoor track.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #129
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm really conflicted on this whole motor thing. I hear about how fast motors like Hacker and Team Powers are on big tracks like Reedy, but on carpet tracks, I'm just not seeing it. It seems like long stator motors are better there. What's the deal with that? More torque? My long stator motors work way better for me on the rug. Will the D3.5 change my mind? It sounds like all the testing is being done on a giant outdoor track.
Isn't blinky great?
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #130
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
Isn't blinky great?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #131
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
Isn't blinky great?
Yes, because I can pick the combination that feels the best instead of being forced to run a light switch.

Watching a bunch of mixers cry about boosted in every thread is comical. Time to move on, boys, that s*** is dead forever.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #132
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm really conflicted on this whole motor thing. I hear about how fast motors like Hacker and Team Powers are on big tracks like Reedy, but on carpet tracks, I'm just not seeing it. It seems like long stator motors are better there. What's the deal with that? More torque? Will the D3.5 change my mind? It sounds like all the testing is being done on a giant outdoor track.
Not all of us have a nice indoor track with an awesome scoreboard like yours. So yes we run outdoors on asphalt. Meaing thats our testing. Mine has been only on a track that had around 130 or so feet. I will let you know Monday on a bigger track around 225 ft straight.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #133
Tech Master

any testing done for 13.5?

btw, if you're boosting the the motor and it feels like a light switch, you're doing it wrong.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #134
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
Not all of us have a nice indoor track with an awesome scoreboard like yours. So yes we run outdoors on asphalt. Meaing thats our testing. Mine has been only on a track that had around 130 or so feet. I will let you know Monday on a bigger track around 225 ft straight.
The scoreboard is pretty awesome, isn't it? Our track is 100% paid for by its members, and we've all worked really hard to make it a great place. HD carpet and clicktrack are coming next month!

Anyway, it's almost starting to look like there's two sides of the coin with motors. Those that are great on short tracks and those that are great on big tracks. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we have blinky to blame. I guess we'll know more after Vegas.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #135
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
The scoreboard is pretty awesome, isn't it? Our track is 100% paid for by its members, and we've all worked really hard to make it a great place. HD carpet and clicktrack are coming next month!

Anyway, it's almost starting to look like there's two sides of the coin with motors. Those that are great on short tracks and those that are great on big tracks. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we have blinky to blame. I guess we'll know more after Vegas.
Just give them your money, you know you're going too

I have to measure the stators and see if the TP is the same or longer than the D3.5, they seem "short" and my TP actually has lower mH but we'll see how it is ontrack.