R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #406
Tech Elite
 
bkspeedo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fort Fun, CO
Posts: 3,139
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
What about a different ESC?
I didn't have a chance to switch esc's today. So i put my Thunder Power back in that works just fine with the Tekin as is quite fast.
__________________
Brent Klingforth
Sponsors: Awesomatix USA ~ Roche USA ~ ORCA ~ AVID Bearings ~ R1 Wurks
TQ Wire ~ Montech ~ WTF ~ BSR Racing Tires ~ 2mm Design ~ Helix Designs
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #407
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
Well i tested a second 17.5 today and had the same problem as the first.

Every once in awhile when accelerating out of turn the car stutters. If I stop after tapping a corner the won't start, it acts just like the sensor board went bad. Wait a second and it's back to normal, for a short while.

I'm fairly convinced it's the Tekin\Motor combo that's not working. We have others running this motor successfully with different ESC's. I have a 13.5 in my WGT with a Hobbywing 1S and it works fine.

There's something about the sensor signal from the motor my Tekin does not like. There's another racer at our track with a Tekin that has had issues as well, just not as often.

It's too bad i really wanted to run this motor at IIC.
Are you running a booster or rec pack with the Tekin ?
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #408
Tech Elite
 
bkspeedo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fort Fun, CO
Posts: 3,139
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Are you running a booster or rec pack with the Tekin ?
I should have specified, I'm running this in a Touring Car.
__________________
Brent Klingforth
Sponsors: Awesomatix USA ~ Roche USA ~ ORCA ~ AVID Bearings ~ R1 Wurks
TQ Wire ~ Montech ~ WTF ~ BSR Racing Tires ~ 2mm Design ~ Helix Designs
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #409
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
I should have specified, I'm running this in a Touring Car.
oops

Sorry
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #410
Moderator
 
Clegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Outside doing things in places... Denver, CO
Posts: 4,609
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

The sensor boards in the D3.5 are the exact same (even the same part number stamped on the sensor pack) as the Speed Passion motors (and probably a number of other branded motors).

I was having some slight issues with a SP 17.5 on my Tekin, and my D3.'s 13.5 and 17.5 wouldn't work with the tekin at all (just instantly jump into sensorless mode). Then I realized that the Tekin hall sensor reader or what ever it is... is broke on my older Tekin RS. Not sure if it just gets less sensitive over time or the SP sensor boards and the Tekin just have less threshold for issues?

All those motors work great on my HW 1S though (and the Justock)
__________________
Joe Kelly - JK720.net
5280 Raceway |5280raceway.com | 5280 Raceway Facebook
Clegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #411
Tech Champion
 
Briguy's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ottawa , IL
Posts: 8,128
Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
Well i tested a second 17.5 today and had the same problem as the first.

Every once in awhile when accelerating out of turn the car stutters. If I stop after tapping a corner the won't start, it acts just like the sensor board went bad. Wait a second and it's back to normal, for a short while.

I'm fairly convinced it's the Tekin\Motor combo that's not working. We have others running this motor successfully with different ESC's. I have a 13.5 in my WGT with a Hobbywing 1S and it works fine.

There's something about the sensor signal from the motor my Tekin does not like. There's another racer at our track with a Tekin that has had issues as well, just not as often.

It's too bad i really wanted to run this motor at IIC.
It is not a Tekin issue . I have been running the D3 and D3.5 motors for years with my RS and RS Pros in all my cars with no issues at all . Have you run Revtech motors ? They have the same sensor board .
__________________
At Your Service Vinyl Works
Royal R/C & Hobby
Leisure Hours Hobby & Raceway
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #412
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Wisconsin USA
Posts: 3,338
Trader Rating: 217 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
It is not a Tekin issue . I have been running the D3 and D3.5 motors for years with my RS and RS Pros in all my cars with no issues at all . Have you run Revtech motors ? They have the same sensor board .
Had a Novak that cogged from a dead stop with the Tekin but threw the Mamba ESC back in and no more problems. I believe the threshold deal makes sense.
Andy Koback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #413
Tech Elite
 
Dusttt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lake Forest
Posts: 2,303
Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
I should have specified, I'm running this in a Touring Car.
You may need to back the epa down beacuse if the servo goes full lock and begins to push against itself it can sometimes draw more than the bec can put out. Usually means a weak bec. Especially with the high voltage servos. If you put the car on a stand and give it throttle and crank the steering and it stalls throttle then thats it. I have had the same thing happen to me both in on and off road cars. I would roll out of a corner off throttle have the wheels cranked and go for the gas and nothing just a stutter.



Now for me,

With this motor I just cant get it as fast as I want it. Yesterday I tried low fdr and low timing and high fdr with timing and I still get destroyed on the straight at the tamiya track. My second brand new motor this time with the 12.5 torque rotor too. What is the sweet spot everyone has found now? I went from 3.8 to 3.6 to 3.5 and to 3.3 and motor never got over 150. car was on rails just no speed. it does pull out of the corner good but.....
__________________
"Whiskey Tango Foxtrot"

Last edited by Dusttt; 09-23-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Dusttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #414
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,768
Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusttt View Post


Now for me,

With this motor I just cant get it as fast as I want it. Yesterday I tried low fdr and low timing and high fdr with timing and I still get destroyed on the straight at the tamiya track. My second brand new motor this time with the 12.5 torque rotor too. What is the sweet spot everyone has found now? I went from 3.8 to 3.6 to 3.5 and to 3.3 and motor never got over 150. car was on rails just no speed. it does pull out of the corner good but.....
17.5 ?
At that track with a 17.5 I would run max timing (24degs) and a 3.4 fdr.
Make sure you run a fan also.
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #415
Tech Elite
 
Dusttt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lake Forest
Posts: 2,303
Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hohnstein View Post
17.5 ?
At that track with a 17.5 I would run max timing (24degs) and a 3.4 fdr.
Make sure you run a fan also.
yep 17.5 thanks!
__________________
"Whiskey Tango Foxtrot"
Dusttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #416
Tech Master
 
Jerz616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 1,045
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Ran this at the southern nats and loved the motor. Amazing how low you can go and still have the punch and run cool. I never went over 140* today geared about 3.8.
__________________
Ryan Gracey

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #417
Tech Elite
 
NolanP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Westmont
Posts: 2,426
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

WHOAAAAA!!!

I tried the 3.5 D3.5 motor and holy crap. I could not get to full throttle around the track. Super Fast. I can't wait to run it in my 12th scale next.
__________________
Mod Touring Car
Mod 12th
Nitro TC
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #418
Tech Master
 
theatriks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,620
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
WHOAAAAA!!!

I tried the 3.5 D3.5 motor and holy crap. I could not get to full throttle around the track. Super Fast. I can't wait to run it in my 12th scale next.
I have never tried a 3.5 of any brand that wasn't freaking fast lol
theatriks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #419
Tech Elite
 
NolanP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Westmont
Posts: 2,426
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatriks View Post
I have never tried a 3.5 of any brand that wasn't freaking fast lol
Yes thats true but It's not my first 3.5T motor. I had yet to experience anything with quite this much power.
__________________
Mod Touring Car
Mod 12th
Nitro TC
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:50 AM   #420
Tech Master
 
Magnet Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,964
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

When I ran a 3.5 turn motor for about 5 minutes ( in a TC ) the battery was so hot I decided I'd never try it again... and yeah, it was impressive power. However, in 1s applications I'm sure it would be acceptable / usable .
Magnet Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW HOBBYWING STOCK SUPERCHARGED SOFTWARE COBRARACING Radio and Electronics 12544 10-09-2017 09:03 AM
BEST 17.5 MOTOR FOR STOCK RACING tibbs Electric Off-Road 22 07-14-2012 01:20 AM
17.5t looking for new motor Craig W Electric On-Road 8 07-28-2011 05:37 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:29 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net