R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Help with better traction and suspensions

The video link below is the Redcat lightning pro that I have. I want my car to perform just like that but it is not even close to driving and handling like that on the video. I know my car is meant to be a drift car but it should not struggle to take off when its more than capable of doing 40+mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA2_804Q2r4

1) How do I get better traction? I took my car out on the street yesterday just a normal road that was quiet and I had all to myself to bash the car around just for fun. Anyway it seems like I have wayyyyy too much wheel spin. I have slick drift tyres on it, should I buy different tyres or brands? I can not make it drive in a straight line just to do speed runs if I want too, wheels spin too much and the car fishtails alot without me controlling it. I can drift it just fine but its slow speed I want to make it go quicker and drift when I make it turn not for it to do it by itself. Ive configured the steering on the controller it should go in a straight line.

2) How do I raise the suspension because the car is too low? I looks really sweet nice and low with my Dodge Viper shell but the base at times scrapes the road surface and I would like to raise it just a few millimeters because it struggles when I turn to one side I dont want to do damage to it.

I might have to record it on the road so that I can show you all exactly how mine handles on the street compared to that video. Its really nothing close to that my car sux on the road.
Archangel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel22 View Post
The video link below is the Redcat lightning pro that I have. I want my car to perform just like that but it is not even close to driving and handling like that on the video. I know my car is meant to be a drift car but it should not struggle to take off when its more than capable of doing 40+mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA2_804Q2r4

1) How do I get better traction? I took my car out on the street yesterday just a normal road that was quiet and I had all to myself to bash the car around just for fun. Anyway it seems like I have wayyyyy too much wheel spin. I have slick drift tyres on it, should I buy different tyres or brands? I can not make it drive in a straight line just to do speed runs if I want too, wheels spin too much and the car fishtails alot without me controlling it. I can drift it just fine but its slow speed I want to make it go quicker and drift when I make it turn not for it to do it by itself. Ive configured the steering on the controller it should go in a straight line.

2) How do I raise the suspension because the car is too low? I looks really sweet nice and low with my Dodge Viper shell but the base at times scrapes the road surface and I would like to raise it just a few millimeters because it struggles when I turn to one side I dont want to do damage to it.

I might have to record it on the road so that I can show you all exactly how mine handles on the street compared to that video. Its really nothing close to that my car sux on the road.
#1 get rid of the drift tires if you want the car to handle.
#2 to get the ride height increased you can add preload to the shock springs. Your shocks might have collars that are threaded and in that case you just thread the collars down which adds tension to the spring. If the collars are not threaded you can achieve the same with shims.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

As the guy above said... Get rid of the drift tyres. They are not designed to grip they are designed to slide. If you bashing, depending on the temperature in the area your running, try some Ride RE36 pre mounts. They last AGES even with racing, so should be good for bashing too.

You seem very new to RC, so its possible your ride height looks low, but is actually pretty normal. Get a ride height gauge, and set it to about 6mm front and 6.5mm rear. That's high in racing terms, but should give you enough clearance for on the street (depending on how bumpy it is..).
Old 05-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

Ok so the slick tyres that I have I should go for the exact same slick tyres but get the 36 compound that you mentioned? I shouldnt change it up with groove tyres or anything like that?
Old 05-27-2012, 04:11 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Ok so the slick tyres that I have I should go for the exact same slick tyres but get the 36 compound that you mentioned? I shouldnt change it up with groove tyres or anything like that?
The tyres you have a probably made of plastic. Or extremely hard rubber.

Proper slick rubber tyres will grip better then grooved rubber.

The 36 refers to the compound of the rubber tyres. The higher the number, the harder the compound. Normally you would tune for the temperature of the surface, so if your somewhere really cold, then you might want to go for a softer compound like a 32.

The reason I recommended those tyres in particular, is because they are a very long lasting tyre, and the compound because you'll probably run for longer then 5-6mins like we do for racing on them, so you don't want them to over heat (they loose grip when they do.).

Which is the same reason you don't just want to get the softest compound for the most grip. They wont last long, and will overheat very quickly, which will mean you actually have less grip.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do u have a rear spool? if so you need a differential
Old 06-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Hmmm them Ride R36 wheels looks the same as my current tyres. Compound seems the same. These things aint cheap Im paranoid because I cant refund them I just want to test them and see what will give me proper control. I will like to upload a test run on the street to show you all my problem exactly. I went to my local hobby shop to get them wheels they didnt have so I asked them for alternatives that have good traction, and their response I dont know. I ask them for brands they go they dont know. I even asked them for LED lights and how to connect them they go they dont know, useless hobby shop.

Anyway these are some pics of the current default tyres I have, they look the same as the Ride R36, they dont feel like rubber tyres they feel more like hard plastic. Also can I keep these rims? They are viper rims I dont want to get new rims how can I mount the wheels and take these off? They are hard to rip off I guess you can say

Old 06-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
Tech Master

Holy biggest pictures ever. You may want to resize those....

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Like we've said mate, those are plastic drift wheels you have. NOT rubber slicks. Just order the rides and you will see a massive difference.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:52 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

Ok I got the tyres, what is the best way to take the old tyres off the rims without damaging them? They are glued on? Should I just cut them out with a box cutter? I saw a vid on youtube to boil the tyres but I dont know if that heat will cause the rims to melt also.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
Tech Master

Most people buy new rims as well. But, if you want to reuse the rims (not even sure if that's possible with drift wheels/tires) use some ca solvent and a knife or try baking them off in an oven (watch the stink). Some people I've heard also use acetone vapor to loosen the glue. I've only use the 1st technique myself, but you can search for how to do the others. There are multiple how-to threads.

BTW these guys are 100% correct when saying that replacing your drift tires (which is what is you've shown in the pics) with proper rubber tires will improve your traction.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Drift tires are justed heated and slid over the rim. They usually don't use glue them since they are hard and don't generate traction.

Haigh Designz -Custom Airbrushing
Leisure Hours Hobby and Raceway!!
Yeti AS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
Tech Master

You'll just mess up the rims if you try to take the drift tires off.

Should have bought a set of premounts. Now you need to buy a set of rims and inserts too.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #14
Tech Initiate

Yeh I didnt want to get other rims because the ones I have are the Dodge Viper rims when I bought the shell so I want to keep them. My local store doesnt sell them and it seems like a hassel and waste if I have to keep buying rims each time I replace the tyres.

Regarding the insets so I do have to get foam insets for these tyres also now?
Old 06-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:

Regarding the insets so I do have to get foam insets for these tyres also now?
Yes,

Depending on what you plan on doing it might make more sense to get some premounted tires next time and save the fancy rims for when the car is on the shelf. Solaris makes a premount with a decent looking spoked rim if you don't like the dish style rims.