Why did Tamiya make the TT-01 rather than continue TB series

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did Tamiya make the TT-01 rather than continue TB series

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

TT01s are good starters, but they are 'glorified' toy grade rcs.

You can think of it this way:

TT01s are like Civics
TRF416s are like NSXs

You could make a Civic competitive with an NSX with lots expensive parts.
But at the end of the day, it is still a Civic, and you would have saved a lot money by buying NSX in the first place. Plus, you can always make the NSX faster.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by locked
TT01 is basically a toy grade rc that you can change parts on.
Yes yes yes.

If this car was produced by any other brand and sold at its current price is would be widely mocked .
Doesnt even come with wheel bearings. Its a toy.
In fact, the generic 'toy' cars are to a much higher spec,
Generic chinesse cheapies usually have: oil shocks, bearings, metal centre shaft, metal dogbone & often a servo, all for much much less cost than a TT01

The TB03 is so much better & not much more cost, why would you even bother with a TT01.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Wow, hit a nerve huh?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by locked
TT01 is only good for bashing and racing other TT01s.
Um, don't forget the HPI E10.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

To add insult to injury, welcome the brand new TT-02 featuring all new plastic bushings, friction shocks, plastic shaft and all the goodies of the original TT-01. And I bet it will be a hit. For the sole reason that it is named TT-something.

The only thing that really pisses me off is that the TB-series seems dead, after only a few years since TB-03 was released. Even though for almost the same price you get a so much better car, probably sales were very low. Everywhere you ask what car you should get, the first answer is TT-01 because it's cheap and there are many upgrades available.

(PS: Just got the probably last TB-03D kit on the planet. All stock, handles like a dream in the parking lot)
Old 04-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Tamiya sell TT01 at a lower price to attract new comers. Then new comers figured, they need to upgrade this and that in order to make it run better. From the upgrade process, you may build up the bonding with your TT, and addicted to get more hop-ups. A fully Tamiya upgraded TT01 could cost as much as a TRF...

Does it make business sense to Tamiya? Absolutely!!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Most companies changed their kits to belt driven. AE did with the TC. The TT01 never replaced the TB series and never will. I had a TRF Evo 5 and it was my favorite onroad car I have owned. There have many many rumors over the last few years about a Evo 6 but nothing ever happened. They just stayed with belts.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:47 AM
Tech Rookie

I was looking at the TT01 originally then stumbled across the TB02. I realise the TB03 is newer but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere? Seems TT01 is stocked in more places I'm finding it difficult getting hold of a decent website anybody know decent sites based in UK or ones that deliver here without silly delivery costs? etamiya.com has a good range of parts

Last edited by BoomBap; 04-22-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Got a TT01 for #2 son when he was 8yo, and he was fine with it here's a pic of it now w/ adjustable camber, sway bars, aluminum drive shaft, full ball bearing set, 9 1/2 turn motor, ss screw set, aluminum adj. oil filled shocks, and more bling than I can remember. We're waiting for big brother to have the time to switch it over to the carbon fiber chassis, carbon fiber drive shaft, and more aluminum, titanium, 2.4g radio. He's 12 now and usually kicks the rear on anyone bashing w/ him. It works for us