Wiki Posts
Search

Doing Away With Boosted....

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:38 PM
AOD
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 6376vette
1/12 is a carpet class so I wouldn't expect them to hook up on asphalt at all.
FYI 12th is the original on-road car. That's why this is a on-road forum not a on-carpet forum. Carpet is for the living room not racing.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AOD
FYI 12th is the original on-road car. That's why this is a on-road forum not a on-carpet forum. Carpet is for the living room not racing.
Lol. Never even considered putting my 1/12 on asphalt. 20 years ago we were running on carpet and no one ever ran 1/12 on asphalt. Funny how different places run things differently. The biggest problem has always been the ground clearance. Our asphalt tracks usually weren't smooth enough for the 1/12 ride height.

Down here in the heart of humidity land I prefer to stay on the indoor carpet. On a nice weekend I may go to an outdoor track but its usually too hot and miserable. I want to have fun racing not feeling like I just did a days worth of yard work. If I lived up north I would probably be a lot more interested in running a lot of outdoor tracks as I actually like to run on the asphalt. But to be honest I would only race for one season. I would freeze to death or get lost in the snow the first winter.

If I had racing carpet in my living room I wouldn't leave the house. As it is I can't get much traction on hardwoods. Yes I have tried.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Tech Champion

As AOD stated...1/12th is the original electric on-road class ran in parking lots with 1/12th chassis using dust buster motors and batteries. It is still ran a fair amount on asphalt tracks all over...especially in areas where we don't have access to a carpet track.

15-20 years ago asphalt parking lots had enough grip to run both 1/10th and 1/12th pan cars just fine. When I first started racing both it was on untreated asphalt tracks. But for some reason these days it seems the cars just will not get a reasonable amount of grip to race with. Maybe it is changes in the car designs...maybe it is changes in the asphalt mixture. One of our parking lots we raced on was resurfaced and before the sealer went down the grip was fantastic...after the sealer it was like driving on ice. So that leads me to believe it is a change in sealants in the last 10-15 years. I'm no construction guy so I can't say for sure...only base my statements on what I have observed first hand.

Ground clearance...well yeah on asphalt you are going to have to run a bit higher but not unreasonably so. I run 1mm higher on a bumpy asphalt track than I do on carpet. Yes the chassis gets scratched up but that's just part of asphalt racing. I could use a chassis protector but for me it isn't worth the hassle.

As for spraying...if your getting a bunch of sugar in your car then maybe it is time to start experimenting with different mixtures. When we first started doing it we would get bits up in the car as well but with some experimenting and testing we were able to find a mixture that increased grip enough for the pan cars but did not gum up the works so to speak. The increased grip not only makes racing closer but it really helps the new drivers do better faster instead of struggling with a car that is a handful.

Humidity... AOD and I live in Hawaii...its awefully humid here in the tropics as well. We're just lucky enough to rarely go over 100 degrees and have trade winds to cool thing off much of the time.

But I digress...sorry to get off topic.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredswain
I'd like to see tracks just blown/swept off really well with no traction compound applied. Speeds will take care of themselves quite a bit this way. If you think spraying soda on a track is cool and necessary to have fun, go play with slot cars instead!
I'd like to see 2wd "RACE CARS" instead of cars w/ unrealistic 4wd setups.

I'd like to see RUBBER tires on ALL Cars - and No Foams

I'd like to see 380 series motors used in ALL scales smaller than 1/10th

...but I must say, on ASPHALT that is in most U.S. cities where wind, dust and dirt are in the air - SPRAY is a must...at least for ANY Foam 2wd class....I don't car HOW you try to set up a car w/o it - if the surface is dirty/dusty AT ALL - you will FAIL to have a good time - and R/C Racing is a hobby I personally run to have FUN
Old 05-30-2012, 02:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DesertRat
A high, even traction surface will help the slow go faster and close the gap in performance between the skilled and novice more so than a bad or uneven traction surface will slow down the fast.
+1

Follow the groove, make sure the car is set up to your liking (tyres are the most important part of a setup) and don't crash....

They would be the 3 most important things I would tell a newcomer to a high grip on road track.

The rest is down to power management,IMO.

I went through a phase of breaking too many parts with poor driving, that was my own frustration. Once I worked on the setup and got the car going well, the breakages went down almost overnight
Old 05-30-2012, 03:01 AM
Tech Champion

The real "problem" with on road IMO is that the wide variety of driver ability makes it difficult for all racers to race in one class.

Blinky may smooth out the power for the newer, less experienced racers, but boosted is desirable for the long term racer who knows how to drive consistantly but wants more power to play with...

IMO, with off road, you are not racing flat out as much as on road due to the jumps, so the power is smoothed out more and appeals to just about everyone.

Last edited by tc3team; 05-30-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Although not a fan of "boost" I'm also not against it either. I'd like there to be "Stock" and "Super stock" classes with the same motor turn and the difference being "Blinky" or "Boosted". Though if there is demand for more speed a motor turn faster for "Boosted".
Old 05-30-2012, 06:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

4 pages in

and We're "Doing away with"
Boosted esc's
12th scale
Foam Tires
Sprayed tracks
540 motors
4WD's

I'd like to see more Racing, with less ing
Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
4 pages in

Boosted esc's
12th scale
Foam Tires
Sprayed tracks
540 motors
4WD's

If that is your true desire, you're in the wrong place.

Just sayin'.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Where am I?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

They should change the name of the thread to "Post your personal onroad racing dreams and get shot them shot to pieces followed by bickering and dickering until somebody makes the suggestion that another posters family tree is irregular or should perform an indecent act upon themselves or another and we get shut down by Admin"
Old 05-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thunderbunny
Where am I?
Ever watch the opening intro to The Outer Limits? It's kinda like that.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
4 pages in

Boosted esc's
12th scale
Foam Tires
Sprayed tracks
540 motors
4WD's

So we are pretty much left to run only the mini class with 380 motors then.

The industry is seeing the "motor/batt wars" all over again. And who said BL/lipo technology will level the playing field?

I know guys that will buy 5 motors and dyno each one, and choose the best one, then sell the rest back on ebay. And they definitely have the upper edge.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
So we are pretty much left to run only the mini class with 380 motors then.

The industry is seeing the "motor/batt wars" all over again. And who said BL/lipo technology will level the playing field?

I know guys that will buy 5 motors and dyno each one, and choose the best one, then sell the rest back on ebay. And they definitely have the upper edge.
Speaking of this, I had the chance to talk to a motor "guru" at the indoor champs last year and he had told me that he does is go through countless rotors and cans till he finds the ones he likes. I guess its a good thing he doesn't have to pay for any of it.
I heard from the beginning when brushless entered the scene that it was going to level the feild, from guys who were club racers to the guys from the factories. All it has done has made things alot more expensive and drop attendance in the on-road scene.
Personally, I would like to keep the lipo's and go back to brushed motors. If we're going to continue the motor wars, at least make it less expensive.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

As long as there are any manufacturing tolerances, there will always be good motors and better motors. You will never be able to stop people who have the time and money from cherry picking the best... in any form of racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.