Wiki Posts
Search

Doing Away With Boosted....

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lessen
Where Chaz and I race, nobody runs boosted. We run 17.5 blinky and NEVER hear anybody whining about people cheating or spending loads of money on batteries and burning motors. The only guys burning motors are the newbies that havn't got the gearing/motor timing figured out yet. Even when our club hosts large events I hear no complaining and I don't think there was a class of TC outside of mod and 17.5 blinky at the last larger event.
When I first started racing at The Gate it was all boosted. The guys winning, and with the fast cars had all their equipment figured out and were using top end equipment. The cars, overall, were a lot faster and there was a much larger spread from the top of the pack to the bottom. Same guys were at the front then and are still there now with the switch to blinky. Main difference is there are noticeably more willing to play. People burned motors in blinky and boosted. The reasonably intelligent ones adjusted accordingly. The others spent a lot of money or quit.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by THancock
Blinky sucks. Period.

I've run a Tekin RS/Novak combo in a 13.5 TC for the past 3(ish) years. I've not had to buy a new speedo or motor to keep up with the LRPs, Black Diamonds, GMs or Hobbywings that came onto the market over that time.

I did one season in boosted 1/12th 1S 10.5 - no problems, just as quick as everyone else. Next year, it switched to blinky. Well it just so happens that Tekin's blinky mode sucks and the Novak ain't great either. So I had to buy a Hobbywing 1S speedo, an LRP X12 and new cells before I was back on the pace.

Blinky is going to be a money pit and I want no part of it.

Most of the folk screaming for blinky simply wanted to slow things down because they couldn't handle the increased speeds with boosted. They should have just motored down instead - much simpler and without the need for pinions as big as spurs, new motors, the latest rotors, the highest C batteries and the constant suspicion that the guy next to me is faster in a straight line because he's cheating or spent megabucks. Don't give me all that bull about blinky having a better "feel", when you're going so slow, the trigger becomes an on/off switch anyhow. Besides, a properly set up boosted speedo which brings in the timing in a linear fashion has plenty of feel.

End rant, happy hat back on
i'm with you same motor same esc TEKIN 3 years strong over 300 race runs running a speed passion 2.0 and it rocks. blinky car is like having a boat in the middle of the ocean that you keep dumping into
BOOST ROCKS
Old 05-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by stankulas
i'm with you same motor same esc TEKIN 3 years strong over 300 race runs running a speed passion 2.0 and it rocks. blinky car is like having a boat in the middle of the ocean that you keep dumping into
BOOST ROCKS
i forgot to mention the boost car ran 120 deg f and blinky is good for cooking a nice hot breakfest of bacon and eggs 180 deg f with fan.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by locked
In a little over 2 years of racing boosted classes I can honestly say I never heard anyone complain of cheating, but last summer I raced a blinky class at a couple of tracks and accusations of cheating were flying everywhere. It was ridiculous.

So far boost isn't dead yet here. At the Canadian Nationals in March, boosted 17.5 TC was the largest class(there was an F main)

I really hope we don't follow the herd on this one. Blinky sucks.
This!
Old 05-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
Main difference is there are noticeably more willing to play.
I'm not following this part Chuck. With the standard being blinky, the fast guys are more willing to "play"?
Old 05-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

I'm not following this part Chuck. With the standard being blinky, the fast guys are more willing to "play"?
Car counts are up.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
Car counts are up.
Gotcha. I can't imagine why.. havn't you heard? Blinky sucks.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I vote a moderator immediately close stupid boost/blinky threads as soon as they start.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

It does suck for experienced racers that love testing and tinkering with stuff.

Problem is that new guys don't have a clue and don't want to put the work in to figure it out.

Bottom line is that blinky = more racers. But I still hate it with a passion
Old 05-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Read my first original post, I just wanted to know what the rc world is going to so since this has turned into a debate ill put in my 2 cents: The people bashing blinky and boasting about boosted abviously arnt good enough to run mod. You can achieve your no cheating, all boosted, and fast cars in modified... I dont see why you need boosted. If you want to take on keeping up your equipment with the best and be in a slower approach then blinky is for you, if not then dont run it and shut it. If you do want to get your fill with boosted and run a faster class then do it, run modified. You can have your cake and eat it to, all the boost your heart desires. Why have so many dang classes and options. No wonder entries look low for onroad, its so spread out with so many classes that entries look low, but would have deep alphabet mains in each class if there wasnt so many classes.

Last edited by Tekin Prodigy; 05-24-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by robk
I'm glad I'm in Chicago, which must be the only place in the USA where car counts went UP when we got rid of boosted and all the crap that goes with it. There is also a magical force field here that makes everything reverse, where motors burnt up when you screwed up the boost settings, but motors don't blow up when you run blinky.
we must have the same generator...lol
Old 05-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Ha ha. Maybe once or twice.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Tech Champion

somebody just ran over this horse....and its still alive...

blinky is better for the onroad program to get more ppl racing and stay racing

boosted is better for guys who need that speed that the track can handle

mod is for fast guys that have no limit...and they scare guys running boosted
Old 05-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wingracer
Problem is that new guys don't have a clue and don't want to put the work in to figure it out.
I personally will run whatever the rest of the club is running. If everybody decided to change to boosted superstock in 2 weeks I'd probably buy a motor and ESC. I've been doing this a year and have asked for very little help along my journey. I put A LOT of work into this game. I may not have experience, or even a clue, but I'm not a lazy new guy. I run 17.5 blinky for one reason and one reason only.. because the other 6 or so other regulars do.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tekin Prodigy
The people bashing blinky and boasting about boosted abviously arnt good enough to run mod.
Not true. I run mod whenever I can but unfortunately, getting enough other people to run a good mod race is difficult.

And it's not about the speed either. I would rather run 17.5 boosted than 13.5 blinky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.