Wiki Posts
Search

Doing Away With Boosted....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default Doing Away With Boosted....

Ive seen entry forms for some of the biggest races this year not have boosted anything on them, and ive heard talk from sponsored drivers at local tracks that the big races are planning on doing away with boosted, because of all the variables. I now see blinky 13.5 and blinky 17.5 on most entrys for races. Modified of course is on there, but am I on to something? Will boosted classes start to be widdled out in 2012 just like brushed classes and nimh batteries were a few years back...
Old 05-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

ROAR has already outlawed all boosted classes for the last year and a half. I personally always like the boosted classes, however i do like that everything is more competitive in blinky but on the same page is the fact that to stay competitive you cant just turn up the boost, its new motors and batts every 2 months like with cells and brushed. Reedy race ended boosted this year, last year being the last time for boost (except mod) same with IIC i believe
Old 05-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Tech Addict

What about races like Snowbirds, or US Indoor Championships... I like both, not starting this thread saying anything bad about boosted, just asking what the trend is so i dont fall behind, and can maybe bring it to my local tracks attention so we can race in a class that is the future, not the past. Thank you
Old 05-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Last year they both ran boosted, however, i am not sure about this year.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

From a simplicity standpoint, it would seem to make more sense to do away with blinky. Then speedos don't have to be approved and teched at races. There may have been speedo/software wars in the past, but these days most manufacturers seem pretty equal.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve S
From a simplicity standpoint, it would seem to make more sense to do away with blinky.
Seriously?
Old 05-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Tech Addict

You have to be teched for everything else, why not make sure your speedo is blinking. Not much harder for the tech and also makes for more "spec/equal" racing in my opinion. Less variables in blinky as well.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

IIC is confirmed as all blinky this year. I'll be surprised if Snowbirds or any other significant race offers a boosted class. It's for the best.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lessen
Seriously?
From a sanctioning and race organizing perspective, yes. Look at the ESC/software controversies there have been recently. You can easily check if someone's ESC is blinking. It's not so easy to tell if they have a legal version of firmware installed.

It introduces more tuning variables for the racer (good or bad, depending on preference), but it also has an equalizing effect because you don't need the latest, greatest motor and batteries to be competitive.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Tech Adept

From a sanctioning and race organizing perspective, yes. Look at the ESC/software controversies there have been recently. You can easily check if someone's ESC is blinking. It's not so easy to tell if they have a legal version of firmware installed.

It introduces more tuning variables for the racer (good or bad, depending on preference), but it also has an equalizing effect because you don't need the latest, greatest motor and batteries to be competitive.
i totally agree with Steve
this last season we played with blinky and boost and lets just say $ for $ boost is a better . now with blinky it is simpler but it will burn a hole in your pocket if you want to stay near the top. but to answer the original question blinky will continue to grow in popularity as on-road continues to die and dirt grows
Old 05-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

No, but you need the latest and greatest software, and thats something you cant buy
Old 05-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
No, but you need the latest and greatest software, and thats something you cant buy
You mean cause it's free?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A series of blinking lights doesn't actually ensure that the program is legal either. You just have to take it on faith that everyone is running the same firmware.

Neither system is perfect, and the masses have chosen blinky. I think you can expect all the big races to follow suit......
Old 05-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

You mean cause it's free?
No, because companies will always have new software at big races, and unless you are privy to it, you cant get it, and you cant be as fast as those who have it.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
No, because companies will always have new software at big races, and unless you are privy to it, you cant get it, and you cant be as fast as those who have it.
While I agree in theory, blinking lights do not prevent this from happening. The only true way to tell is to spotcheck the software.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.