Wiki Posts
Search

Doing Away With Boosted....

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
And you all wonder why Onroad racing has declined!?

Speed is always going to be associated with racing. If it's not fast it's not fun right?

So when will on road get a "short course" class?

Mini = on-road short course class
Old 05-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Onroad hurts more from guys not willing to "really" help new ppl get up to speed....and involved...and a true RTR VTA car would really help...imo
Old 05-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
So when will on road get a "short course" class?
Originally Posted by locked
Some would consider VTA that class, but there is still no RTR that is 100% legal and competitive for any onroad class. I think that would probably help bring people in.

The only time I found blinky really fun to drive was with a 4.5
The lack of an inexpensive LiPo/BL RTR pretty much makes it impossible for a on-road Slash class to happen. I was recently shopping for one for a friend who is interested in getting into TC but non of the current RTRs would fit the bill.

Originally Posted by robk
We get more entries now that things are slower and simpler. This was not the case when things were faster and more complicated a couple years ago.

Maybe things are different in your area but this is what is happening where I live.
They could slow things down just by dropping stock to 21.5 and leaving boost in place.

Originally Posted by MikeXray
On road racing declined long before boost was even introduced. I don't see a reason why SS and faster type classes wouldn't just run open speedo rules, there is always a power battle blinky or not, its interesting to see who figures it out and who doesn't. It seems though as all the US based major races have gone away from it, which generally means local tracks will follow.
On-Road racing was in decline before LiPo and BL even...LiPo and BL gave it a bit of a boost but that has pretty much leveled off already.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
Setting a land speed record is about going fast.

A good race can only happen when everybody is in control, and capable of similar lap times. THEN you're racing.
It works where I race. New guys are excited to run a sportsman 1/12 class. We hope to have 2 full heats this winter season. Fast guys still get to be fast, new guys crash much less and go home happy. Who seriously wants a bashfest? It's like your 3 fastest guys want the fast class as long as all the slow guys are in lower heats. It's nuts how fast everything is now.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt

They could slow things down just by dropping stock to 21.5 and leaving boost in place.
All that does is continue the confusion. Guys just want to work on cars and driving, not spend a bunch of time working on speed controls. I have had people who went to race off road tell me they came back to on road when the boost stuff went away.

Yes i know "everybody" should have it all figured out by now. I'm just telling you what I hear.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd like to see tracks just blown/swept off really well with no traction compound applied. Speeds will take care of themselves quite a bit this way. If you think spraying soda on a track is cool and necessary to have fun, go play with slot cars instead!
Old 05-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The lack of an inexpensive LiPo/BL RTR pretty much makes it impossible for a on-road Slash class to happen. On-Road racing was in decline before LiPo and BL even...LiPo and BL gave it a bit of a boost but that has pretty much leveled off already.
The RTR slash has brushed options. NO reason an onroad car has to come brushless.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fredswain
I'd like to see tracks just blown/swept off really well with no traction compound applied. Speeds will take care of themselves quite a bit this way. If you think spraying soda on a track is cool and necessary to have fun, go play with slot cars instead!
Sounds like a good way to go really slow, break a lot of parts, and be so unforgiving that the difference between the fast and the slow will be even wider than on a good surface. Intentionally bad and uneven traction favors the best of the best drivers, and murders the new and untested. It also makes setup jarringly important and tires will get softer and softer in search of grip. For good racing, make the track surface as high-traction and non-abrasive as you can get, and then make car and driving improvement a group effort.

By God how slow is slow enough for you?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You don't need to go 75 mph around a corner to have fun. Learn how to drive. That's the point! If you need traction aids, you suck at it! It's that simple. Go play with slot cars. Concrete and asphalt are inherently high traction. Save the foams for carpet and put rubber tires on like real cars do. They don't need to spray the track down first.

How fast is fast enough for you? You don't need to hit 500 scale mph. 300 is fine!
Old 05-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

I actually enjoy track layouts when they are new and the line hasn't blackened in yet. That's just me. Nothing against high traction, I just have just as much fun when it's slick.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

A high, even traction surface will help the slow go faster and close the gap in performance between the skilled and novice more so than a bad or uneven traction surface will slow down the fast.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

You guys want to know how the fast get fast, its because they practice and put in the time it takes to get good. Not by making everything slower and more "equal". Their should be a place for both blinky and boosted and when you have masterd the blinky class move up to boosted and then mod. When you figure out a boosted setup it doesnt change much from layout to layout or track to track ( at least thats my experiance). And people are always happy to help with settings.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by robk
All that does is continue the confusion. Guys just want to work on cars and driving, not spend a bunch of time working on speed controls. I have had people who went to race off road tell me they came back to on road when the boost stuff went away.

Yes i know "everybody" should have it all figured out by now. I'm just telling you what I hear.
When I ran boosted I spent very little time working on speed controls...typically one of the posted setups worked very well so I would just copy them. No need to get overly complex with it trying to figure things out. Our off-road doesn't have a blinky class...heck it doesn't even have a stock class and it has more entries every race day than our on-road. Blinky is a perception issue...people think it will be more even when it really isn't..so they come back for a bit and hopefully most stay.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by fredswain
If there was enough grip on our asphalt to run 1/12th pan cars I would agree...but there isn't. Spraying the track is necessary in a lot of cases. Especially on sealed asphalt.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

If there was enough grip on our asphalt to run 1/12th pan cars I would agree...but there isn't. Spraying the track is necessary in a lot of cases. Especially on sealed asphalt.
1/12 is a carpet class so I wouldn't expect them to hook up on asphalt at all. Spraying a track is completely unnecessary and leaves one hell of a mess on your chassis. I used to run f1, legends, and 1/10 pan car on seal coated asphalt and f1 and 1/10 oval on concrete and we never sprayed the surface. The right tire and the right traction compound will hook up better than Dr pepper any day.

By the way I have also run the vta tires on asphalt and concrete with no traction compound or spray and they hook up just fine.

I think boosted has a place in rc as long as there are unboosted and slower options for the new drivers and the people who have no interest in going that fast. If a track only offers a boosted class then that track has no way to grow their racing base. Too much speed for new guys to even think about handling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.