Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doing Away With Boosted....

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
well being in the Tropical love Island...I see why...but f you have to travel to the inland states for an event..make it the(plug)

2012 US VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City, USA...Sept 21-23rd, where we have VTA,GT,TC, and 12th Scale....

and make this trip and Ill personally pay for your hotel stay for the weekend...BOOM!!!
A generous offer...we typically go to the IIC though...if I'm going to travel I prefer a longer event
Old 05-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I understand...but I did plan on opening the doors for extra practice Thursday.... maybe next time...
Old 05-31-2012, 02:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

All I care about is going faster then the 8 other guys I am racing against, whether it be in blinky, boosted, modified, oval, mini, I don't care... Racing shouldn't always have to be about outright speed, but beating the other guys on track.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

well being in the Tropical love Island...I see why...but f you have to travel to the inland states for an event..make it the(plug)

2012 US VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City, USA...Sept 21-23rd, where we have VTA,GT,TC, and 12th Scale....

and make this trip and Ill personally pay for your hotel stay for the weekend...BOOM!!!
GT? As in WGT or RCGT or some other GT? I'm not too far away and could be talked into coming for some good WGT action. I'll even pay for my own hotel
Old 05-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wingracer
GT? As in WGT or RCGT or some other GT? I'm not too far away and could be talked into coming for some good WGT action. I'll even pay for my own hotel
where are you coming out of?...and its USGT, sorry
Old 05-31-2012, 03:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

where are you coming out of?...and its USGT, sorry
Richmond, VA. A good little drive but I've done worse.

I assume 1/12th is just 17.5 blinky or will there be some mod action too?
Old 05-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I think it'd be great to get away from having specific boosted, blinky, and mod classes. Just run all mod and separate by body/wheel style (VTA, RCGT, etc.) I mean, who doesn't want to go fast? I know I do. The amount of rules created to slow cars down is surprising (to me, at least). I understand that a fast car is harder for a beginner to drive but no one is saying they have to drive it that fast, gearing, endpoints, expo, etc. can all be used to tune down a car and make it easier to drive. Less classes, meaning more people in fewer classes, will lead to A, B, C, and lower mains. When you have that many people racing together you invariably end up racing people the same speed as you. Part of the problem might be that some people need to come to terms with the fact that not everyone can be in the A-Main.

A class that's really picked up around here is the 1/8th GT electric. I believe some factors of its success are the openness of the rules. Any motor, battery, and ESC is allowed. We really only regulate the body, wheels, and drive-line. The other factors contributing to its success are it's a big car that looks closer to a real car when you drive it. Scale speed is slower, they have more body roll in the turns, and you get a lot of tire squeal. Plus, they are just as easy to drive (if not easier) and fit just fine on a 10th scale track.

Sorry I went a little off topic there
Old 05-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Perhaps its the 200.00 ofna chassis or the 250 esc motor combo from castle, or perhaps the ONE set of sweep Premounts that lasted all year ,or the one lipo I used, but yea, sure do enjoy me some gt8 action.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

I don't want to run mod or boosted because of the speed. Too many broken parts. Ok in a perfect world everyone could handle their car and no one would get into anyone else but this is rc. Wrecks will happen and not all of them will be your own fault. At least with slower speeds I can drive away from most of them.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
I don't want to run mod or boosted because of the speed. Too many broken parts. Ok in a perfect world everyone could handle their car and no one would get into anyone else but this is rc. Wrecks will happen and not all of them will be your own fault. At least with slower speeds I can drive away from most of them.
I see your point. Another reason to go to GT8, lol.
What would be ideal is if manufactures started making their cars a little beefier to handle all the power that can be thrown at them, but I won't hold my breath on that one.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lessen
It's a Cleveland thing, not everybody understands.
That's a pretty broad generalization considering it's home to Chris Goetz and Wayne Gerber Jr.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
That's a pretty broad generalization considering it's home to Chris Goetz and Wayne Gerber Jr.
As I said, not everybody understands
Old 06-01-2012, 04:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni
I see your point. Another reason to go to GT8, lol.
What would be ideal is if manufactures started making their cars a little beefier to handle all the power that can be thrown at them, but I won't hold my breath on that one.
I wish we had a track around here to run gt 8. Were lucky to have a 1/10 track to race.

I think the manufacturers try to balance between durability and light weight. You can get a very durable chassis but it weighs too much to perform properly. Lighter parts break easier.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Plus, they are just as easy to drive (if not easier)
There you go.

This is why slower classes are popular. Less setup headaches + easier to control cars = more entries. Maybe that's the dumbing down of racers or whatever, but the hobby shop will stay open.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think it'd be great to get away from having specific boosted, blinky, and mod classes. Just run all mod and separate by body/wheel style (VTA, RCGT, etc.) I mean, who doesn't want to go fast? I know I do. The amount of rules created to slow cars down is surprising (to me, at least). I understand that a fast car is harder for a beginner to drive but no one is saying they have to drive it that fast, gearing, endpoints, expo, etc. can all be used to tune down a car and make it easier to drive. Less classes, meaning more people in fewer classes, will lead to A, B, C, and lower mains. When you have that many people racing together you invariably end up racing people the same speed as you. Part of the problem might be that some people need to come to terms with the fact that not everyone can be in the A-Main.

A class that's really picked up around here is the 1/8th GT electric. I believe some factors of its success are the openness of the rules. Any motor, battery, and ESC is allowed. We really only regulate the body, wheels, and drive-line. The other factors contributing to its success are it's a big car that looks closer to a real car when you drive it. Scale speed is slower, they have more body roll in the turns, and you get a lot of tire squeal. Plus, they are just as easy to drive (if not easier) and fit just fine on a 10th scale track.

Sorry I went a little off topic there
If I'm reading the first paragraph right, you're suggesting that everyone goes into the same class. OK, how are you going to feel when a beginner in the heat pulls out in front of you and totals your car and his? If you want to know what it is like to race slow and fast cars in the same race, just look at any video of Le Mans as the LMP1 cars try to pass the GT3 cars.

This idea is madness for any number of reasons. First, the fast and slow cars in the same heat (clubs don't have enough entrants to seed heats to avoid that) and second how many people do you think will stay in the sport when they are beaten by faster cars every week, week after week?

Of course 8th electric has picked up. From your description the car is easy to drive because set-ups aren't on the edge yet and relative to the weight of the car and grip of the tyres, they are slow! I think you just proved our point about classes that give slower cars being more popular, but for the reasons we usually find in off-road - relatively heavy cars with relatively low grip!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.