R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #136
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE View Post
Speaking of this, I had the chance to talk to a motor "guru" at the indoor champs last year and he had told me that he does is go through countless rotors and cans till he finds the ones he likes. I guess its a good thing he doesn't have to pay for any of it.
I heard from the beginning when brushless entered the scene that it was going to level the feild, from guys who were club racers to the guys from the factories. All it has done has made things alot more expensive and drop attendance in the on-road scene.
Personally, I would like to keep the lipo's and go back to brushed motors. If we're going to continue the motor wars, at least make it less expensive.
I bought a new 17.5 motor last year. Ran it at a couple of races, then at the 2011 Reedy. Finished somewhere near the bottom of the C-Main. One year later, (same motor and rotor) finished 3rd in the B-Main. Even used last year's battery.

I guess the "Motor and Battery Wars" are what you make of them...

I won't let out of control advertising get the best of my wallet.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #137
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Speaking of this, I had the chance to talk to a motor "guru" at the indoor champs last year and he had told me that he does is go through countless rotors and cans till he finds the ones he likes. I guess its a good thing he doesn't have to pay for any of it.
I heard from the beginning when brushless entered the scene that it was going to level the feild, from guys who were club racers to the guys from the factories. All it has done has made things alot more expensive and drop attendance in the on-road scene.
Personally, I would like to keep the lipo's and go back to brushed motors. If we're going to continue the motor wars, at least make it less expensive.
On the other hand
I've yet to have a single BL motor wear out, burn up, or need any significant maintenance since I've re-joined the hobby

I don't have the time to sort thru weak cells, and re-solder packs every week, and I don't miss, cutting coms, or changing brushes every run

... well cutting coms was actually kinda fun, it's the whole com trueing lathe being another toy to play with thing though

At the club races, I see more racers having fun, and maybe running more classes on race day due to the minimal maintenance we now have between runs

What I'd really like to see is longer races
8m 12th scale almost seems too short now

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #138
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Lessen

but, I agree on longer races. :shrug:
Old 05-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #139
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil View Post
I bought a new 17.5 motor last year. Ran it at a couple of races, then at the 2011 Reedy. Finished somewhere near the bottom of the C-Main. One year later, (same motor and rotor) finished 3rd in the B-Main. Even used last year's battery.

I guess the "Motor and Battery Wars" are what you make of them...

I won't let out of control advertising get the best of my wallet.
It is indeed a fact that some motors among a batch are faster than others. There are reasons other than skill, why the guys in the upper A-main are where they are.

No matter what, people will find a way to go faster than you.

The reason why our races hold a 17.5 blinky AND 17.5 boosted, is so guys can use the same motor if they want to progress to a faster class. We thought it was more economical that way. But now with motors being developed specifically for blinky, that idea might become a thing of the past.

What's next, a software based RPM limiter?
Old 05-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #140
Tech Master

Wow. I have never seen so many people get upset towards ideas and discussions. No one was talking about doing away with 1/12 4wd etc etc. No one has been whining about anything. The discussion was about boosted escs and how to level the playing field between drivers. Motor sizes traction compounds etc are all ways of equalizing the field instead of or in addition to eliminating boost. Depending on your point of view. The whole conversation has been relevant. Perhaps we should clog rc tech with more new threads

Should 1/12 be run outdoors
carpet vs asphalt
no more 4wd
rubber vs foam
cheese with wine
How do trains fall off of the tracks
sugar water in your gears.....good or bad and how to control it

Cmon guys. its only toy cars.

If anyone starts the cheese with wine thread then you are truly a dork.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #141
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
... well cutting coms was actually kinda fun, it's the whole com trueing lathe being another toy to play with thing though
Wow, I'm not the only one!

The only thing I miss about brushed is comm cutting. There was something really cool about the precision of it all

Well, I also miss the torque of a 19t 12th scale. Yeah a 13.5 boosted is just as quick today but the 19t FELT faster. At least mine did.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #142
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
Wow. I have never seen so many people get upset towards ideas and discussions. No one was talking about doing away with 1/12 4wd etc etc. No one has been whining about anything. The discussion was about boosted escs and how to level the playing field between drivers. Motor sizes traction compounds etc are all ways of equalizing the field instead of or in addition to eliminating boost. Depending on your point of view. The whole conversation has been relevant. Perhaps we should clog rc tech with more new threads

Should 1/12 be run outdoors
carpet vs asphalt
no more 4wd
rubber vs foam
cheese with wine
How do trains fall off of the tracks
sugar water in your gears.....good or bad and how to control it

Cmon guys. its only toy cars.

If anyone starts the cheese with wine thread then you are truly a dork.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #143
Tech Elite

Heres how to slow down the fast: The top five qualifiers have to do vodka shots, five for first, four for second, and so on. Kids and the under-age.... we'll figure something out.

I liked cutting comm's to, but had to borrow one as I was a broke kid at the time. I also miss that snappy torque of brushed motors, and the sound they made running at full tilt down the back straight with the little spark visible as they went past
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #144
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Now that stupid boost is finally gone, the next thing to kill is stupid threads about boost. :-)
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #145
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Sounds like a good way to go really slow, break a lot of parts, and be so unforgiving that the difference between the fast and the slow will be even wider than on a good surface. Intentionally bad and uneven traction favors the best of the best drivers, and murders the new and untested. It also makes setup jarringly important and tires will get softer and softer in search of grip. For good racing, make the track surface as high-traction and non-abrasive as you can get, and then make car and driving improvement a group effort.

By God how slow is slow enough for you?
what the heck, common sense, is that allowed here..
Old 05-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #146
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
I thought whole point of going to a race is to go fast? .

“The secret”, said Niki Lauda, “is to win going as slowly as possible”.
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #147
Tech Regular

Default boosted is best

It makes no sense why the awesome manufactures like Tekin, LRP and Novak develop this boosted technology and then ROAR does away with it. Why? Time and money wasted and then we settle for non-boosted, going back to frying motors turning up the timing to max hoping it doesn't go up in smoke.

The technology advances then we go backwards. Blinky may have an argument for spec racing but not for intermediate racing.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #148
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Lessen

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveM3 View Post
It makes no sense why the awesome manufactures like Tekin, LRP and Novak develop this boosted technology and then ROAR does away with it. Why? Time and money wasted and then we settle for non-boosted, going back to frying motors turning up the timing to max hoping it doesn't go up in smoke.

The technology advances then we go backwards. Blinky may have an argument for spec racing but not for intermediate racing.
Just because ROAR decides that they will not support boost doesn't mean your local club has to jump on that bandwagon. IMO ROAR doesn't have as much clout as folks seem to give them credit for. No offense to ROAR, but so what if they don't offer boost classes at their national/regional races. There are a ton of other "big" races every year that are not ROAR sanctioned in which the big talent takes just as much pride in being a part of. If those races can support a healthy boost class I guarantee those orginizers will be more than willing to fit it in. After all, an entry is an entry and we all want more of those.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #149
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ROAR <- burn it with fire.

Ill only be a member if i have to. Havent been for oh say 10 years or so? Not like thats a big deal or they even notice i havent been a member... i know im a nobody. BUT... there are A LOT of nobodys that feel as i do.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #150
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Boost was awesome. now its gone and racing will suck just a little bit more. I'll get used to it, its been going that way for a while now.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote