Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

HPI Sprint 2 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:45 AM
Tech Regular

OK so I got all my gear from GPM Racing last week and spent the day installing all of the parts. The car looks amazing. It is a little heavier (not 100% sure on the total weight, MRS took the scales off me when I was part way through rebuilding.) The bits I weighed were a few grams heavier but I am not too concerned as it will be stronger and bring the CoG lower down which should help in cornering once I have it set up. Next on the cards a decent 10.5T motor and esc setup and some foam tyres for the SSF class I race in.

On a side note which threw a bit of a spanner in the works I did break 2 screws off in the rear arms whilst building. I sent an email to GPM Racing and they are shipping me a new set of arms for free via Air Mail. I would recommend them to everyone. Parts are great and the customer service is second to none.

I will post some pics soon.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by impalabob64
This is a parking lot setup,traction was really good ,the car was basicly stock with a few changes the shocks that were on the car were adjustable .

Front
droop-1
Springs -Serpent Pinks
2hole piston
50wt
RH- 5mm

Rear
droop-3
Springs -Serpent Pinks Fronts
2hole piston
50wt
RH 5.5 mm
Body Camaro
USVTA 25.5 Novak
Gearing
66/47 48p
Thanks for posting your set up Bob.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Right now i have. A lockd diff in rear shoukd i get a oneway for the front or just leave or is there even a difference between the two
Old 08-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike2112
Hey guys, I recently bought a Sprint 2 Drift and use it in my basement on a linoleum floor. This thing is so much fun. I have 16 runs on it now and noticed a problem. This is weird...

When I give it some throttle, as soon as I steer left or right I notice the belt slaps up and down and makes a clicking/grinding sound. If I give it very little throttle, the power seems to drop off as soon as I steer. This happens on the ground under load and if it's on a stand. During a drift, as steer, I can also hear the power "surging". The vibe are so bad the body rattles!

This is killing me. There appears to be no issues with the dog bones or differential. I am stumped - Why ONLY when I turn the wheel does this happen? I see no wear or damage, and I don't run it outside and I haven't crashed it.

I have adjusted the front belt tensioner all the was and it still happens, but less than when its fully loosened.

Could the belt just be stretched? It looks perfectly fine.

Please help me figure this out. I've been into RC cars for 20+ years, but this is my first belted car.
Have you checked the cogs in the dif pulley for debris? Any missing lugs on the belt? I would also look inside the diff for debris or a lack of grease although it sounds like you have checked it for smoothness. Is there some dogbone slop? The spring mod may fix this or using CVDs may also help.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Questions??

Don't know if anyone has done this but since the bladders from traxxas shocks fit in the stock sprint shocks you can improve them on the cheap. One of te best things I did to mine, and new springs
Old 08-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Tech Initiate

So here's a dumb one for you, where do I get a tool set or which ones should i buy to tear apart and rebuild this car I have... I'm just destroying this thing with pliers...
Old 08-05-2013, 06:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

BlackStarHobbies are now selling GPM parts for the sprint 2 ... http://blackstarhobbies.com/index.ph...oducts_id=1019

I have ordered from these guys many times and cannot say enough about how good there service is. They also work closely with GPM and go above and beyond in cases of returns or faults.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Sup guys, i'm about to order a sprint 2 sport and need a lipo for it since I already have the charger etc for my helicopters. I only can't find one that seems to fit, the shop gives me an option to buy one for 60 dollars which is a little bit steep imo for a 2s 5000mah lipo.

Can someone give me a lipo that will fit, it would be the easiest from hobbyking to order. I had the Nanotech 5300mah in mind, it has the same dimensions as the shop is offering, only without round edges. I cant post links yet sorry.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Most LiPos are just a bit too tall to fit correctly without modification to the car. Look back and see the solutions Marv and I have for this issue. My fix is to remove some material from underneath the battery holder swing arms to make the plane level with the bottom of the claws so the battery can slide in easily, thus avoiding chassis tweak. Another option is to shim up the posts and top deck to raise the swing arms to clear. This will raise the COG though, but may not be significant. The steering post top may not be captured by the top deck if shimmed too high.

The claw on the connection side will need to be notched for any LiPos with top-side bullet connectors. This mod is also covered in previous posts.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:11 AM
Tech Regular

if it had the same size specs without the rounded edges, do the lower belt pulley mod and it should fit.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the tips, I took a look to the belt lift mod, and I actually already have all the required items needed for this. I'll go ahead and buy the nano techs then, thanks!
Old 08-09-2013, 05:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm back! I just got myself a used HPI Sprint 2, started the tear down process, and will be looking at making a custom chassis to have the battery pack and Servo moved to modern sedan places. I'll take pics as the process goes along.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I forgot to take pics, but i've been busy with the car. I started the tear down, and ordered many replacement parts.
- Ordered new Kevlar belts
- Found the Sprint 1 steering system from an ebay auction in europe
- The car came with a ball diff in the rear, and locked front diff, but all of the cups were all worn out, so i ordered all of the parts for a gear diff, and will lock the ball diff to make a spool

- anyone know where i can get CVDs for the car? Other than the HPI ones? I saw the package from GPM, are the CVDs available separately?
Old 08-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cadman1981

- anyone know where i can get CVDs for the car? Other than the HPI ones? I saw the package from GPM, are the CVDs available separately?
Asiatees are selling the cvds for cheap atm...

http://www.asiatees.com/display?HPI-...id=26183&pid=1
Old 08-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Tech Rookie

hi whats the best gearing
motor esc for speed runs
right now i just put my
mamba max pro esc
castle 1415 (2400kv)
3s lipo 3200mah 35c
im wating for my spur gear 66T 48P/pinion gear47T 48P
what you guys will recommend. thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.