Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

HPI Sprint 2 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Would...Could....someone..anyone pretty please point me towards the battery dimensions...length-width-thickness...? for an HPI sprint 2 sport... mucho gracias and thanks to you!

Mike
Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've found a Venom 5000 and a Sky 4000 Lipo will fit. Don't know the actual receptacle dimensions.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

I found a 2S lipo that's....162mm x 45mm x 19mm. It's the 162mm I'm wondering about....I think the others are within bounds. Can't find anything on HPI's site.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Tech Regular

as stated, the sprint 2 is great for drifting. out of the box with t-drift tires it works quite well for slow speed drifting. locking the rear diff is the best thing to do to make it more consistent for drifting. all mine has done is the rear diff locked and steering tightened and it drifts great.

my lhs has friday night drifting, (its the reason i upgraded from my old tamiya drifter), the sprint 2 is most used car, followed by the e10. we drift on polished concrete, most are running t-drift tires, a few of us are trying out a-drifts and loving them. a-drifts give a lot more speed, however your much harder on the throttle and uses batteries up a lot quicker. its fun being able to pass the guys with t-drifts like they are standing still though.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

What a great thread, read it all and will be making mods to my sprint 2 flux car.
A few guys at work have got them now and we have fun doing the parkinglot race thing and have broken a few parts and done repairs over the past few months of owning them, one of the guys has done most of the mods in this bible of sprint mods

Thanks for all the great direction we have read in here and if there was ever a sprint thread to be read, this is it!! it made me want to join the forum.

Marv i see you have a willy's coupe, would love to see a picture of it, i have one coming soon.

MT
Old 01-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitro Ace
Would...Could....someone..anyone pretty please point me towards the battery dimensions...length-width-thickness...? for an HPI sprint 2 sport... mucho gracias and thanks to you!
Mike

The clearance from the bottom of the battery holder to the chassis is approximately .90” (22.86mm).

The thirteen batteries I have researched so far range from 22-25.14mm thick. This translates into a ROAR approved Hard Case LiPo battery necessary to run legal in USVTA won’t fit easily - if at all.

The upper deck to chassis clearance is approximately 1.095” (27.813mm).
By relocating the battery holders completely you can install those 25mm thick ROAR Approved 7.4v 2S 5000mAh Hard Case LiPo Batteries that are USVTA legal in the S2. However, you will need to do a BELT LIFT MOD as well. One is in post# of this thread.

NOTE:
The max forward room (battery width) is a about 49mm – this isn’t cast in stone because I didn’t disassemble my S2 to verify it - BUT I had a 49mm soft case stuffed in there… just sayin’.

The 25.14mm thick ROAR approved SKY LiPo will fit as well and the belt should clear with the Belt Lifter Mod in post #2 of this thread. If not, swap out the two 3x6x2.5 bearings and the two M3x8 washers for two 3x8x2.5 bearings and two M3x10 washers.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/11005603-post62.html
Old 01-24-2013, 11:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MaxThrottle
What a great thread, read it all and will be making mods to my sprint 2 flux car.
A few guys at work have got them now and we have fun doing the parkinglot race thing and have broken a few parts and done repairs over the past few months of owning them, one of the guys has done most of the mods in this bible of sprint mods

Thanks for all the great direction we have read in here and if there was ever a sprint thread to be read, this is it!! it made me want to join the forum.

Marv i see you have a willy's coupe, would love to see a picture of it, i have one coming soon.

MT
THANKS!!!

I also have a 40 Ford Coupe!

Both projects are on hold, but the 40 Ford has been fitted to the S2 chassis with a front post mod =

Which will also work for the 41 Willys.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/marv-albums-project-41-willys.html

(Does not have the wideners installed in these pictures)
Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Tech Regular

Okay, this is my plan. Got some extra funds coming soon so.....

1.) get the sprint 2 sport falken porsche gt3

2.) upgade to carbon fiber main chassis plate

3.) upgrade to castle creations sidewinder brushless

ESC and CC 5700kv motor (or.....what is best Kv for 7.4Volt lipo?)

4.) do the essential mods covered on this thread

5.) get super affordable 7.4volt 2S lipos from valuehobby.com

RCtech won't let me post links yet until my post count is higher

Mike
Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Tech Addict

Okay, this is my plan. Got some extra funds coming soon so.....

1.) get the sprint 2 sport falken porsche gt3

2.) upgade to carbon fiber main chassis plate

3.) upgrade to castle creations sidewinder brushless

ESC and CC 5700kv motor (or.....what is best Kv for 7.4Volt lipo?)

4.) do the essential mods covered on this thread

5.) get super affordable 7.4volt 2S lipos from valuehobby.com

RCtech won't let me post links yet until my post count is higher

Mike

CONGRATS!

You just made #10 on posts!

You should be good to go now!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Marv
CONGRATS!

You just made #10 on posts!

You should be good to go now!!!
Good......thanks! I was thinking.....you know......I've been using lipo batteries a few years now (planes , helicopters, losi mini-LST2).....and I have several decent lipo chargers.....so when I get the sprint 2 (soon I hope), naturally I'll need to get some big 2 cell lipos to use in it. And so I was checking out current prices on 5000mah hard case racing types and about had a heart attack ($100-$150 per).

So I checked some of my old standby cheapo battery sources and found some normal soft type lipos 4000-4400mah 25-30C ones for around $20-$25. Those are way more my style and price range.....should be fine until I go brushless.....and I won't be racing anywhere that's going to demand hard case batteries......so I'll be golden! Got to use those big chunks of cash for more car kits......instead of super expensive batteries!!!

Mike
Old 01-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Tech Addict

http://www.rctech.net/forum/11031684-post65.html

Get hold of Eric (I think his name is).
EAMOTORSPORTS
I read nothing but GOOD things about his batteries and other stuff.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/team-com...on-thread.html

Good......thanks! I was thinking.....you know......I've been using lipo batteries a few years now (planes , helicopters, losi mini-LST2).....and I have several decent lipo chargers.....so when I get the sprint 2 (soon I hope), naturally I'll need to get some big 2 cell lipos to use in it. And so I was checking out current prices on 5000mah hard case racing types and about had a heart attack ($100-$150 per).

So I checked some of my old standby cheapo battery sources and found some normal soft type lipos 4000-4400mah 25-30C ones for around $20-$25. Those are way more my style and price range.....should be fine until I go brushless.....and I won't be racing anywhere that's going to demand hard case batteries......so I'll be golden! Got to use those big chunks of cash for more car kits......instead of super expensive batteries!!!

Mike
Old 01-25-2013, 04:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Marv
[B]THANKS!!!

I also have a 40 Ford Coupe!

Both projects are on hold, but the 40 Ford has been fitted to the S2 chassis with a front post mod =

Which will also work for the 41 Willys.
my willys came yesterday and i can see it will need fitting before painting.
great pics you posted and i see the wheel spacers are needed, but what front post mod are you talking about? did you have to move them?

Thanks!

i will post a pic of my progress to, still trying to decide on a color and leaning toward black but all the stone woods and cook cars were a lighter blue so may do that???
Old 01-25-2013, 04:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

figured i would try to post the bodies that i have, got carried away on ebay

lets see if one works, my 10 dollar camaro beater body
Attached Thumbnails HPI Sprint 2 Mods-68camaro2.jpg  
Old 01-25-2013, 04:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ahhh it worked, i also have a 67 vette, Gt40, 65 Mustang, 2010 camaro the flux car came with.
i need to stop with the bodies and get a parts bin started
Attached Thumbnails HPI Sprint 2 Mods-76vette.jpg   HPI Sprint 2 Mods-gt40.jpg   HPI Sprint 2 Mods-hpi-mustang-smaller.jpg  
Old 01-25-2013, 05:48 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MaxThrottle
my willys came yesterday and i can see it will need fitting before painting.
great pics you posted and i see the wheel spacers are needed, but what front post mod are you talking about? did you have to move them?

Thanks!

i will post a pic of my progress to, still trying to decide on a color and leaning toward black but all the stone woods and cook cars were a lighter blue so may do that???

I used a different body post set and came off the top of the shock tower

I'll see if I can't find / get some pictures and part numbers

Those 13mm wheel spacers a couple of posts back will work for the Willys

BUT you have to open up the axle hole in you rims to 5mm to accommodate the BARREL NUTS that is used on the axles

Last edited by Marv; 01-25-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.