R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New to on-road

Guys I need help choosing motor/esc for an associated tc4. I've been racing off road for a while now and would like to get into touring class at the local track. I've done some research to get an idea of what I need but I'm stuck when it comes to the motor. The track I will mainly be running on is a short asphalt outdoor track. The other track that I may run on occasionally is also an outdoor asphalt but is a lot longer with more srtaight aways and higher speeds. I own Tekin products for my off road setups and was planning on getting one for the tc4, but which motor/turns should I go with for those tracks? I'm also open to other brands of esc/motor, was just sticking to a company that I'm familiar with. Thanks for the help.
eyefly3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefly3d View Post
Guys I need help choosing motor/esc for an associated tc4. I've been racing off road for a while now and would like to get into touring class at the local track. I've done some research to get an idea of what I need but I'm stuck when it comes to the motor. The track I will mainly be running on is a short asphalt outdoor track. The other track that I may run on occasionally is also an outdoor asphalt but is a lot longer with more srtaight aways and higher speeds. I own Tekin products for my off road setups and was planning on getting one for the tc4, but which motor/turns should I go with for those tracks? I'm also open to other brands of esc/motor, was just sticking to a company that I'm familiar with. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by OVA; 05-20-2012 at 11:06 PM.
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

the quesionwould be what are the popular classes at those 2 tracks be?17.5 binky? 13.5? vta?usgt?

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You need to check with the clubs involved to see what classes they run, and then from there, work out what classes you would like to run in. From there, you can then make purchasing decisions and pick a brand that you like.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Ok, thanks guys. I will try to find out what everyone is running. The track I normally go to doesn't really have any organized racing so I may have trouble finding out the best setup for that track. One other question, what is blinky? I know it's something to do with the esc but I'm new to electrics.
eyefly3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefly3d View Post
Ok, thanks guys. I will try to find out what everyone is running. The track I normally go to doesn't really have any organized racing so I may have trouble finding out the best setup for that track. One other question, what is blinky? I know it's something to do with the esc but I'm new to electrics.
Blinky= no timing in the esc itself. There is more to it than that, but basically any changes to increase performance would have to be done with the timing on the motor itself.

I'd say for the money, it's hard to beat the Hobbywing stuff. I personally like LRP because set-up and profile changes are really simple to do on the esc itself.
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote