R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Regional Moderator

Default Technology comes at a trade off.

Hey just getting back into RC here. Brushless motors are better in everyway just about, but the trade off are batteries that explode.
Its been a long time and a lot has changed. Initially the cost of switching to brushless and lipos kept me away a while longer. But I got a new kit and decided to take the plunge.

Anyway Im slowly building a TC6 now and looking for any road courses near Wilmington NC. If not, is anyone in the area interested in organizing a parking lot event?
nitrous36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous36 View Post
Hey just getting back into RC here. Brushless motors are better in everyway just about, but the trade off are batteries that explode.
Its been a long time and a lot has changed. Initially the cost of switching to brushless and lipos kept me away a while longer. But I got a new kit and decided to take the plunge.

Anyway Im slowly building a TC6 now and looking for any road courses near Wilmington NC. If not, is anyone in the area interested in organizing a parking lot event?
Not exactly close but Debbies in Chesapeake, VA is a good track, outdoor and indoor. I can't remember but I think there is a track around Wilson somewhere too.

And the batteries don't explode (that was one of the late NiMH cells that did that), they just catch fire quite spectacularly.

In all seriousness, LiPo's are perfectly safe as long as reasonable precautions are taken.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Regional Moderator

Chesapeakes a bit far. Ill have to look into the track you mentioned in wilson. We had an offroad track here recently and they were getting ready to add a indoor road track, then closed. The shop had good bussiness, dont get why they closed. And at a bad time too. I had a few old trucks I hadnt run in sometime and wanted to try their track out.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
Tech Addict

You talking about the shop on market street (I think it was)? I live I Hky but we have family in Wilmington. Can't help you with any near by tracks.
phildoggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
Tech Lord

Oh crap, I forgot about goldsboro:

Glenn's Hobby Corner
651 Community Drive
Goldsboro,NC 27530

Really nice indoor and outdoor track and shop.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Regional Moderator

Thanks for the info guys. Had a guy pm me about a parking lot track theyre settting up in north myrtle beach. Keep the info coming. If anyone is interested in setting up a road course here and want help, let me know. My budgets tight, so the track cant be permanent. Has to be parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildoggg View Post
You talking about the shop on market street (I think it was)? I live I Hky but we have family in Wilmington. Can't help you with any near by tracks.
Yep thats the track. Sad it closed. First track we had in wilmington since the late90s/early00s.