R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-15-2005, 01:16 PM   #16
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sure it's hard to to tech all this stuff. But at my club I'm trying to just go on the honor system. Another guy and myself were running the 4300 with the endpoint turned down to 75%. The racing was very even against 27Ts.

Doesn't matter though 'cause it a brushless. But here's the irony, they don't really tech anything. Even though we have a weight rule, there is a guy that we all know is under weight, but he is allowed to run. Hmmm....

This is the same guy that does not want to comply with a TakeOff 27 tire rule. And if he is forced to, he says he has a special chemical that will turn them into shore 20. Jeez.

That's the problem. Alot of people are willing do everything, including cheat to have an advantage. They don't want to play on an even field. Brushless will even some of the playing field (despite what Trinity says) and the old-timer motor gurus will lose some of thier advantage.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:57 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I've been running 5-cells with a 4300 at SoCal for the past few weeks and nobody is complaining at all. I'm dead-middle of the pack for power...I can pull some guys and some guys can pull me.

Easy to tech, too...just look for the empty battery slot.

BTW -- I gear it up pretty high...like 5.80 or so.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 02:18 PM   #18
Suspended

That's a good idea, I'll suggest it, thanks!
Old 02-15-2005, 02:30 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

I was referring to a club event...My local race director (and me too, when I run races) tech the cars after every run...I'm talking about the most basic kind of teching - looking at the arm for the 27T tag, if it has it, it passes...Plain and simple kind of teching...

Soviet - I dunno if you are right, but I'll wait and see...Until Epic (trinity), TOP (Peak/Orion) and Yokomo fully buy in, brushed motors will be the motor of choice...

I understand the "benefits" of the brushless motors...not arguing them, just don't fully agree with them But that's my opinion

just giving my reason why Gordon is being made to run in the open class...its the easiest place for a race director to put a brushless set-up...most open classes have the easiest of rules: 4wd (if that), 6cell, any motor, sedan body...how much easier can you get? So I don't blame the Race director putting him there...i'd do the same thing at my local track
Old 02-15-2005, 08:07 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Teching? Turn it on and just check which profile it is on. The turning down the throttle via the radio just doesnt work for me and because it is obvious other racers will complain regardless of honesty. Use the 4300 motor on unlimited profile in stock and the 5800 on unlimited profile in 19T or whatever mod class is available (just reallize on a med to large track you will be underpowered against true mods whether you are off or on road).
As a race director I once told a 19T driver that was upset about the decision to let Novak 5800 BL's to race in the oval and on-road Ex.19T classes, "you didnt complain until it beat you", and "all you said before was it didnt look fast" the fact was in this incident was that he beat himself by beating the boards a little too hard! lol This was just his excuse.
Randy Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:13 PM   #21
Tech Regular

I need to get the club to see this thread...

They will not permit BL in any class...

I'd like to run it in their very open sedan class, which is basically run what ya brung.. (cept no BL)
MartynD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:35 PM   #22
Suspended

Now that's just down right oppressive. Always let BL in open class. Jeez.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:46 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Just wait until the true mod version of the Novak is released! If any of you saw it run at the Novak Race you would say impressive, and something like O MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! would soon follow. SILLY,STUPID,FAST!!!! Rumer is it will also be compatable with brushed motors like the LRP.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:36 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Oh...ahhhh......

Randy Cook you have info about the Novak's new mod brushless?

What did it look like? Anyone tell you details about it?
Come on man!

The heck with brushed motor capability. That's why we have the GTX. Cut it down for a smaller size or keep the 5800 speedo size, but have it with the option of 19t and an 8t. Now that would be great with lots of adjustments. I can't wait, I'll be buying them three of them. To date, Novak has by far made the best motor/speedo out. It should do well with the 1/12 scales guys if the speedo is small. I know many of them have held off because they thought the speedo is too large.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:36 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Charlie and Bob were running them at the Novak Race this year. Charlie was also running BL and Modified. I believe same speedo. Bob was running the 5800 like everyone else with the new Speedo. Charlie ran the 5800 motor with the new speedo in the BL class but the new prototype mod motor version in the modified class. If you were there, you saw what I am talking about. He could close 3 car lengths on the countries best factory drivers running 7-8T "factory built and maintained mods".(you should of heard the comments from the drivers stand)lol. From talking to him and from seeing the car run, it has insane rip and top end. It gives up NOTHING to the best 7T's out there.The 5800, as all of us know who use them, has great rip off the corner and decent top end but is lacking in the middle for a touring car. The new version is a true unlimited mod and is just plain silly fast. Cant wait! The draw back? If you are not an experianced mod driver it will probably be TOO MUCH (but still fun, dont ya know). Considering the fact I dont like stock racing and 19T just pacifies me, I cant wait, it will be a few months more than likely, and maybe more, but I'm in. As a plus the Novak crew is a class act, to me service is important, and this group makes me WANT to buy their products.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:15 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Default Randy Cook...

what did the new speedo look like? Was it smaller? I don't care much, but I know 1/12 scale guys think it's too big for their cars. With the SS5800 speedo my car balances out great. Would be nice though if it was smaller, so I could get my receiver lower and get a fan in there some how. Details man!
Old 02-18-2005, 07:55 PM   #27
Tech Adept

The speedo looked about the same size. On the brushless speedo you can use a 440 screw to just crew the fan onto the speedo heatsink. The BL speedo is not as heavy as it looks ( dont get me wrong it aint no lightweight either ) It is actually lighter than a cyclone. If you can find some pictures on Trackside's website from the event there may be a pic of their cars.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:41 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Default I'm lazy....

can you find it. Would that be under Trackside in a search?
Old 02-19-2005, 04:19 AM   #29
Tech Addict

hey guys,

have anyone of you tried the hacker 6x1 brushless? heard its fast....any comments on this?

yep, brushless is the future......brushed motors are just tooooo low tech to really compete with brushless.....its expensive to maintain and all......its about time that ifmar recognize brushless as it will definitely drive maintenance costs down....imaginbe all the money we can save from not having to buy brushes every race and not having to buy motors all the time! my friend used his brushless in a mod race and still won.....and the motor has been with him for a couple of years already......

and........longer run times!!!
cooliomojo-CEBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 03:56 PM   #30
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to thedominator

The track i race at runs one class of electric tc. You can uses brushless, mod, or even stock if you wanted to. The novak 5800 is actually very close in performance to a good 10 turn. the brushed motors seem to have a little bit more top end but the novak has better low end. I have been doing very good with it and no one has complained about it. i have been racing with the 5800 for over a year, only oiling the bearings every once in a while. Brushless will definitly take over ina couple of years. If novak comes out with a slightly more powerful motor in the 7-8 turn range there will be no reason to race brushed anymore.
thedominator is offline   Reply With Quote