R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-10-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Lower torque better for RWD?

So, now my F1 car (an F103 McLaren Mercedes) is back together and running, I'm wondering if it's worth hopping up. It's the RS, which has a few hopups like the CF chassis and ball bearings already. I'm wondering if getting a modified motor would be a good idea. The problem I'm having is simply that it's a RWD, and unless the rear tires (A comp) are pretty warm, I'm doing donuts out of every curve unless I dive into the curve and don't accelerate until after I leave, which isn't a very good line. So, if I get an engine with less torque but higher RPMs, I can follow a more realistic line and have a little more leeway in accelerating through the curve.

Or, do I just need to work on my handling? Would a 19T motor lower torque enough to avoid the back end breaking away with any touch on the trigger? Staying in any one class isn't much of a concern for me (I can always swap the engine back for stock), but since parts for the F103 aren't produced anymore, gearing or replacement of other kit-specific parts might be.

And, while I'm on the subject, do the F201 tires fit F103 wheels (I'm assuming they do).
Liko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 09:39 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to micros_rock

Just learn to be easy on the trigger. If you can, lower your throttle exponential on your radio.

Most people nowadays run the 4WD F201 though.
micros_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:12 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by micros_rock
Just learn to be easy on the trigger. If you can, lower your throttle exponential on your radio.

Most people nowadays run the 4WD F201 though.
The throttle exp would be a cool feature, but my radio just has EPA. It's a linear, but with more throw than some of the other radios I've tried.

The F201 looks REALLY good. I'm just kind of a purist; F1s are RWD, end of story. It's also a $$$ issue; I have college and books to pay for out-of-pocket right now. This 103 is plenty powerful (the design has a lot in common with a pan car, and you know about those) and on a proper surface at any decent surface temp it rocks. Just have to learn to race it.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:21 PM   #4
Tech Addict

The surface can also be the problem.
If you're driving on a parking lot or something like that, most of the time there's A lot of dust which take away all of your traction.
So where are you driving the car?
Old 02-11-2005, 02:30 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

You hit it on the button. I've driven it just about everywhere you can imagine I could take this car, except an actual track. It drives almost like a 4WD on a urethane-sealed roller-skating rink . Last I drove it was on an asphalt basketball court, and it did end up with tons of dust on the tires, so I was driving a drift car. Was just thinking that I should be able to control this car on ANY surface, including dusty, if I handle it right.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:43 PM   #6
Tech Addict

It's the most common problem with A direct drive car.
I've also used to drive with A fully hop-uped F103rs everywhere I could.
But it was so frustrated that I didn't had any grip.
The first time I went to A track was A blast!
So much difference, and I from that moment I was hooked up on this hobby!
I still have that car, don't drive it anymore, but I am planning to start racing with it again, it's just so much fun!