R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Top Photon EX vs Serpent S411 TE

I am considering between Top Photon EX and Serpent S411 TE for asphalt rubber racing, and would like to seek the opinion of fellow racers who have both rides please.

1) Build quality and parts durability
2) Easy to drive

Thanks
vadersing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadersing View Post
I am considering between Top Photon EX and Serpent S411 TE for asphalt rubber racing, and would like to seek the opinion of fellow racers who have both rides please.

1) Build quality and parts durability
2) Easy to drive

Thanks
I own 2x Top Photon's.Xray T3/12 and a S411 TE,The Photon and Xray are great cars and the Serpent is proveing to a piece of crap,build quality is mostly crap and as far setups don't bother with the one in the intruction manuel
mcb-jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:33 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb-jet View Post
I own 2x Top Photon's.Xray T3/12 and a S411 TE,The Photon and Xray are great cars and the Serpent is proveing to a piece of crap,build quality is mostly crap and as far setups don't bother with the one in the intruction manuel
Sae your money and go Xray T3 2012 or Tamiya 417X, i bought a 417X after selling the TC6.1. Its night and day, the Tamiya beats it hands down on every conceivable aspect. I hear the Xray is much the same.
svndayNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:13 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

good thread .. im reading ...
Old 05-16-2012, 04:29 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think both cars have got some build quality issues right now, but having said that durability should be good on either, I know people rave on about Xray in that department, but I have broken less parts on my Photon then most any Xray I have seen running at my track.

You could generally say cars like the TOP and Serpent lack something in the finished package department compared to say a Tamiya or Xray, but then they are often near half the price.

I bought a new Photon EX, but right now I'd hold off on getting one till it's confirmed they have fixed the issue with the shocks, in my kit the shocks are actually near useless, which takes the shine off an otherwise nice bit of gear.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I have a t3'12, s411 and a 417x. I run the xray.

I don't know about the xray = better thing. For the amount of money I paid it feels like it is missing some basic things like alu shocks and the steel bits in the gear diff and spool.

in that respect I think the latter two are better value, But then again, I've never broken anything on it anyway.

I do think the s411 shocks are really good. The bottom bleed method that the 411 and the xray uses is superior imo.

I didn't like the 411 springs. Replaced those with ride springs.

the s411 was a bit of a pain to set up.

one thing to note. The top uses the dropdown suspension mounts like the xray I think? On the xray its not uncommon to have weird toe angles after a while. Not sure if the top is similar ?
silvalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Photon EX is new ,
S411TE release few months !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:18 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Send a message via MSN to beaim

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvalis View Post
I have a t3'12, s411 and a 417x. I run the xray.

I don't know about the xray = better thing. For the amount of money I paid it feels like it is missing some basic things like alu shocks and the steel bits in the gear diff and spool.

in that respect I think the latter two are better value, But then again, I've never broken anything on it anyway.

I do think the s411 shocks are really good. The bottom bleed method that the 411 and the xray uses is superior imo.

I didn't like the 411 springs. Replaced those with ride springs.

the s411 was a bit of a pain to set up.

one thing to note. The top uses the dropdown suspension mounts like the xray I think? On the xray its not uncommon to have weird toe angles after a while. Not sure if the top is similar ?
i wanted to give u a like!!

anyway, s411te is a great tough car, spring steel stuff, steel gear diff, pu belt. i am happy with it where running 5t turbo no problem at all.

i own a photon before. and it is so good.
beaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (85%+)

Everyone always talks crap about
The tc6.1 but i own 2 of them and if you take your time on the build and do a little testing for setting Up for your driving style it can be superior to all these models. The parts are redily available at almost any hobbyshop the durability is crazy ( there are 2 guys runnimg the x ray's at our track and they are sponsored so they are great drivers but they rarely finish a race cause something broke after a slight hit.. I think alot of people h e issues with the ae cause it has alot of different tuning options and people get crazy with it and make a bunch of changes at once and are unhappy with the results. I wouldnt buy anything else imo..
Old 05-17-2012, 05:38 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (85%+)

Also wanted to add that one of the x ray guys recently got a s411 and he hasnt driven his x ray since .. But he was also driving another guys tc6.1 last night and off rip was turning almost a 1/2 second faster lap times and said the car moved through the corners like nothing he had driven before....