Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Lap Down

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Addict

Default One Lap Down

I was wondering how different tracks handle lap traffic during a race and not qualifying. When a car is going one lap down to the leader, should the car going one lap down be passed or should they just pull over?

I know when I first started racing years ago the policy was to hold your line and the leader would pass you during the race.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Depends on the other car positions. If the leader is in a close race with 2nd, then lap traffic should move over and let both cars continue to race. If the leader has checked out and is about to lap 2nd and 3rd while they are racing, the leader should hold back and let them race without interference. If I was taken out by lap traffic because the guy wanted to fight to stay on the lead lap, I'd be a little upset. If you're going a lap down, what's the point in fighting. It's not for position.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by stiltskin
If I was taken out by lap traffic because the guy wanted to fight to stay on the lead lap, I'd be a little upset. If you're going a lap down, what's the point in fighting. It's not for position.
It's not taking someone out or fighting for position you are holding your line if the leader is coming up on you he knows you are not moving left or right. If they feel they can pass on the outside/ inside in the corners they know you are holding your line.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

My personal policy has been to let the leader go if its a qualifying heat. In the main I will fight and make them earn the first lap but any more laps I will move over. Now this is only if my car is competitive and I have put myself back from either a couple of incidents of a bad start. if the leader is clearly faster or if my car is ill handling I will move over. Communication on the drivers stand is the key though. I race with a couple of guys who do not want you to move. even if its for the 3rd or 4th lap. They like the competition and the challenge of clean racing. Some guys would rather push their weight around. Communicate and know the guys you are racing with and everything will be cool.

now if you are in a close race for position you need to let the leader know that. Usually they will hold their spot and wait to pass so you can battle for your position. Once your battle is over let them go.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:14 AM
Tech Elite

You don't see lapped traffic holding their line in full-size racing and you shouldn't see lapped traffic holding their line in RC racing either.

It is the lapped traffic's responsibility to let the leaders through. Done neatly it costs barely any time and no track position either.

On the straights, the lapped traffic needs to pick a line and stay on it (that way the leaders can choose their own way past if they have more speed)

In the corners it is the simple matter of pulling wide at the entry to a corner, doesn't need to be more than a couple of car widths, and that will let the leaders pass easily with minimum time lost for anyone.

Final rule is that the lapped traffic shouldn't then start "racing" the leader. Tagging the rear bumper of the leader the corner after he has gone a lap up is all too common and is completely unnacceptable.

At the end of the day, the lapped traffic is sharing a track with the leaders, not racing them.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
You don't see lapped traffic holding their line in full-size racing and you shouldn't see lapped traffic holding their line in RC racing either.

It is the lapped traffic's responsibility to let the leaders through. Done neatly it costs barely any time and no track position either.

On the straights, the lapped traffic needs to pick a line and stay on it (that way the leaders can choose their own way past if they have more speed)

In the corners it is the simple matter of pulling wide at the entry to a corner, doesn't need to be more than a couple of car widths, and that will let the leaders pass easily with minimum time lost for anyone.

Final rule is that the lapped traffic shouldn't then start "racing" the leader. Tagging the rear bumper of the leader the corner after he has gone a lap up is all too common and is completely unnacceptable.

At the end of the day, the lapped traffic is sharing a track with the leaders, not racing them.
Perfect.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:30 AM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1
Old 05-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

+1
When going a lap down, there's a race going on, & you're not in it

Also
When sharing the track in practice, if a faster car is approaching, get out of the way, especially when the faster car is running a different class, i.e. mini vs pan car
Old 05-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Also
When sharing the track in practice, if a faster car is approaching, get out of the way, especially when the faster car is running a different class, i.e. mini vs pan car
And this is why I am fan of controlled practice.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bencason
And this is why I am fan of controlled practice.
Isn't it beneficial to developing driver skill to drive with slower and faster cars? It teaches you how to negotiate traffic.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

+1
When going a lap down, there's a race going on, & you're not in it

Also
I guess that all depends on the driver. I don't want slow cars to move over in practice. I want to develop patience and skill in passing cleanly. Anyone can go out and hot lap but you will have to negotiate traffic in a race. Why not practice it?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 6376vette
Isn't it beneficial to developing driver skill to drive with slower and faster cars? It teaches you how to negotiate traffic.
Traffic, is two cars of the same type, and similar speed

Why would you want to get in the way of a car that is several seconds a lap faster ?

Practice is not racing
Old 05-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Traffic, is two cars of the same type, and similar speed

Why would you want to get in the way of a car that is several seconds a lap faster ?

Practice is not racing
Like I said in my other post. It depends on the person. We have 17.5 tc guys who do not want the vta cars to move over so the tc guy can practice his patience and passing. I admit some guys will get mad if you don't move over. You just have to know who you are practicing with. If you don't know the other driver then move out of his way.

Guess we just have a unique bunch of racers at out track. When I'm out running my f1 I like the challenge of cleanly passing a vta car. It is disappointing to me when they do move. To me lap times are not as important as being clean for 6-8 minutes.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 6376vette
Like I said in my other post. It depends on the person. We have 17.5 tc guys who do not want the vta cars to move over so the tc guy can practice his patience and passing. I admit some guys will get mad if you don't move over. You just have to know who you are practicing with. If you don't know the other driver then move out of his way.

Guess we just have a unique bunch of racers at out track. When I'm out running my f1 I like the challenge of cleanly passing a vta car. It is disappointing to me when they do move. To me lap times are not as important as being clean for 6-8 minutes.
Agreed
Old 05-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

What would be nice is if lapped traffic realizes they are being lapped because of poor driving skills and backs of a little.

I've seen people make great passes on drivers who can't drive a straight line to save their lives only to be drilled in the next turn when the lapped driver overshoots the apex.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.