R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default hpi switch

Hello to everyone i have a switch fun car but for some reason going through alot of bevel gears has any one had the same problem and how have they fixed it?
stugatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

In a word, No. I ran a HPI Switch at our local club for around 6 month's and although I got to handle very well and it was reasonably quick, It would hardly last a meeting with a gear set going. I found that running a small amount of lubrication (Durango Green) on the internal gears helped, but did not cure it.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Switch

What are they made out of? Does HPI say to run lube in the diff, or is it sealed so you could you fill it with silicone oil? They look like fun, and FF's don't have to run any minimum weight at my local track so they can be pretty competitive. Alot of people just don't have the patience to set up, or drive an FF.
Flipside6900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

The bevel gear is plastic and the main diff gear, which is quite large, is aluminium. HPI should of released the car with a plastic diff gear or sold a metal Bevel gear as an upgrade part. They could of made it a proper Tamiya M-Chassis competitor if they had just spend a bit more time designing and testing it. Handling was pretty good I thought, did take some work though. If they had of done an upgrade gear, I would still be running it now!

The gearbox is sealed, you can run whatever grease/lubricant you would like. But I tried many, nothing worked.