Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tires, what is your views >

Tires, what is your views

Tires, what is your views

Old 07-06-2002, 10:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Tires, what is your views

What is everybody thoughts on tires. I thought that it would be good to get a thread started on Tires.

At our last point series race I was using Sorex 36 and my XXX-S was hook up pretty good in stock (the temp was in the mid 90s). The next week, a worker at the local hobby shop suggested that I should have been using 28. His thoughts where that the Sorex 36 are made more for running in the Nitro and Mod classes. In Stock, the tires never have a chance to heat up like they would in the other classes. What our your views on this.
Old 07-06-2002, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

What was the track temp if it was in the mid 90's outside? There are guys that use them in stock and mod out here. Depending on the track temp you run the chance of over heating the 28's if they're used in hotter conditions. What inserts do you have in your 36's? For cooler hot temps I like to run a Yokomo firm insert. If it's a regular hot day (track temp 120 plus) I'll use a HPI blue insert. There's also the Sorex 32 but (IMO) it's temp rage is too short for my liking. If I'm running 28's and it start to get too hot for them I usually go straight to a 36 skipping the 32's.
Old 07-06-2002, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Foams--- either Jaco or CRC and almost always purple/purple!!!!
Old 07-06-2002, 10:33 PM
Tech Master

Last week I ran TakeOff CS27s all day long. It got up into the high 80s (or even higher) and they were fine all day. I guess what it comes down to is use the tire that gives you the most consistent traction. If you were fine with 36Rs and were happy with their traction and performance, stick with it.
Old 07-06-2002, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

wow, I tried 28's once with track temps in the 110 to 120 range and they dont work.... if you check out the sorex site you will see that the 36's are from around 100 to 150 degree range and I think the 28's are from about 60 to 80 degrees and the 32's are good to about 115 but have a smaller temp range. I run 36's or cs 27's on hot days with good results.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Haven't we been through this already???

For those of you who need info on Sorex vs. Take Off tires- refer to the Sorex vs. Take Off thread. You will learn about all you need to know...
Old 07-08-2002, 08:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Stlnlst-- The 90's that i mention was the air temp. I did check the track temp this weekend, it was around 108 degrees. I have the HIP red inserts. Thanks for the input.

Impactplayr-- Where you recommonding the Jacp or CRC as tires to get?

Ottoman-- thank for the info.

Bigdog-- I wasn't asking about Sorex vs. Take Off.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Not actually I was just stating that is what I always run, but you may want to try plaid/purple, or double purple/ purple if you do try them...... I like the extra steering that purple/purple gives me.....
Old 07-13-2002, 01:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

hmmm. sorex tyres are pretty good for all temps as are certain tamiya tyres.
i personally like foams cuz they're cheap and get a decent amount of wear from them but i usually run rubber @ most of the tracks i run cuz of the grip needed
foam tyres i think absolutely kickarse on the right surface but its up to you to find out the surface u are running on and decide for yourself.
for all round grip or carpark racing, tamiya type A or B is a good choice for rubber and a good choice for foam is probably Laser type R's or XS tyres.
ne way
if u want mor info let me know
l8er
Old 07-15-2002, 05:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Anyone read Japanese?

I buy and use Sorex 36r's with Yokomo 037F inserts on Sorex wheels. There is a green instruction sheet with Japanese characters on it. There is a table with a bunch of inserts listed in it. Do we have any Japanese language experts who buy Sorex tires, who can interpet this for us?
Old 07-15-2002, 06:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Is it the table on the piece of paper that comes with Sorex tires? If so this is what it says on the table;
(The Hi ...(to) Low refers to the grip on the track.)

.....20R....24R.....28R...l...32R....36R....40R
H...... HPI orange........l.....HPI green
i .....Yokomo 037F.......l.....HPI orange
.. ....Sorex typeA-M.....l....Yokomo 037F
.. ....Sorex typeB-M.....l...Sorex typeA-M
L ......HPI yellow..........l...Sorex typeB-M
o ....Yokomo 037M......l....HPI yellow
w ....Yokomo 037S......l.....Yokomo 037M

(is this the chart u r talking about?)

This is just a insert suggestion fr Sorex for their tires, wat works on the track u r running in might defer. just my 2 cents

Last edited by kinoshita; 07-15-2002 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-15-2002, 07:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Sorex Chart

Yes, this is the chart! This is the first time I have run rubber tires. The Sorex 36r tires with Yokomo 037F inserts work good on the track I race. The chart tells me that I must be running on a high traction track. If I race on a low traction track the chart tells me to soften the insert. This is usefull to me. Thank you.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Track temperature plays a part in the selection process too.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

I personally think Sorex suck and their temperature range is wrong, I can strip a set of 28R in 8 runs or so in my local track while I juncked my set of CS22 the otherday after using them for over 4 months! I can get about 4 good runs with the 28R and then the car starts to push and push.... by the way I am running STOCK.

My 28R will blister and strip when my CS22 would just about grain on the same track and same day.... jeez.

You want a good and consistant tyre then I suggest Take Off, and if you want o keep is simple then I suggest to give SSA and SSB a try from Takeoff... they are the tyres I won races with and they realy last and 2 temp range... the inserts comes with are pretty damn good too, or use something medium that fills the tyre a bit more even....
Old 07-16-2002, 06:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Default The importance of track temperature.

The concrete track I run at has a temperature of about 90°f at the open of practice, and a temperature of 120°f at the start of the mains. My experience of last summer on an asphalt track says, on an equivalent day the temperautre would reach 140°f. I don't really understand this, but this is what I have observed.

Take Off tires are very popular in the US. This is noted by the various tire threads on this board. The application of Take Off tires seems to be at below 120°f the CS27 is used and above that the CS32 is used. The Sorex 36r tire is just comming into its range at 90°f. At 120°f I believe it is in the middle of its range, with 150°f being the top of its range.

I can understand the confusion with these tire numbers. The 27, 32, and 36 numbers are suppose to be Centigrade temperatures. The temperatures that these compounds operate best at don't seem to be well related to the temperature numbers of the tires.