Good FM Radios?

Old 07-12-2002, 05:40 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default Good FM Radios?

I am looking into going FM but I don't need the bells and whistles that a M8 or something similar would have. I was thinking of the Hitec Lynx but my hands are bigger than the area allows. Any suggestions? I was looking at older JR Radios and KO Propo ones that sell reasonably on Ebay, so feel free to offer suggestions!
Old 07-12-2002, 05:51 PM
Joe
Tech Regular

I would reccommend the Futaba 3PDF or KO Presto. I have the Presto myself and it is a very good radio for the price. You get Steering speed, steering response, throttle response, ABS, Dual rates, endpoint adjustment, 3 model memory, programmable thumb buttons, 4 channels and a micro reciever.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

futaba 3pdf or mayb the new sanwa(airtronics) mx3...
Old 07-12-2002, 07:56 PM
Tech Regular

This is the second year i've been using my Futaba 3PDF, and i've had no problems. You can get it at Tower for $175 (with $15 discount.)
Old 07-12-2002, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i like the jr xr3 alot, but not too many features. probably the 3pd. i have a 3pj and an xr3m, both of which i love.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

if u watch for deals or sell out specials, you can find the ko propo ex1 mars from $200 to $220 it has 10 model memory and every feature u can dream of like ABS brakes. i've had mine for about 3 years w/ ZERO problems.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default EX-11

Using it and loving it!!! has all the things that you will ever need.

most of all got it from a nitro guy who upgraded to a EX-1

and only got it for about $US38.00 in pristine condition 4 months old!!!!!!!!!!!

using it for almost a year and no problemo!!!
Old 07-13-2002, 05:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

ko propo esprit vantage 2 > the best with loads of features
Old 07-13-2002, 05:13 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Default Re: Good FM Radios?

Originally posted by Cain
I am looking into going FM but I don't need the bells and whistles that a M8 or something similar would have. I was thinking of the Hitec Lynx but my hands are bigger than the area allows. Any suggestions? I was looking at older JR Radios and KO Propo ones that sell reasonably on Ebay, so feel free to offer suggestions!
If you have big hands then the KO EX1 is NOT for you!!

Try something like the 3PJS (or 3PDF) with the larger grip! I think you have figured out already that it is not what people tell you is good, but what feels good to you that matters. TXs are a very personal thing!! Try the TX before you buy...this is the most important point!!!
Old 07-13-2002, 05:47 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The JR low budget Fm radio seems like a good choice here. That new Air/Sanwa MX3 might also fit your needs. The handle on that seems large enough.

I think your best bet would be the Hitec Lynx 3D without the Spectra module. It may surprise you to know that this radio with almost as many features as an M8 or 3PJS, goes for only $174.99 at HobbyPeople. Thats less than the budget Futaba 3PDF!!!

To top it off the handle is looong. I'm a grown man and I don't even use the last quarter of the handle.
Old 07-13-2002, 06:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Personally, I run nothing but JR, have a XR3, and it has been a great radio for the price. Any of the radios suggested here will suit your needs, just pick them up, make sure they feel good to you, and get the one that has the price/performance/feel that you like.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Good FM Radios?

Originally posted by dtm

If you have big hands then the KO EX1 is NOT for you!!
Excatly ! I got big hands too and I'm using the KO EX-11. The Presto got real good value for money and fits nicely into my hands.

But I'll suggest you try your favorites out in an LHS, before ordering something. The grip test are very important !
Old 07-14-2002, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Good FM Radios?

Originally posted by Cain
Uhm.... hands size is an important thing, but, other thing that you need to take care about is if you plan to switch anytime to nitro, if the answer is yes, then go for the Futaba 3PDF (for its PCM and their fail-safe), or for the KO-EX1 Mars, if you plan to stick with electrics, anykind of decent radio model fulfills your needs.

Should you take a look for the Graupner/JR radios, specially the XR6-FM Race (on Europe), XR3-Race (US Model) if your hands are stretched on a KO or Futaba radio.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:18 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Corse-R
Are you sure that the 3PDF comes in PCM? I beleive you may have mixed up the 3PDF with the 3PJS.

I would reccomend the 3PDF for a low budget FM radio, I went from a JR R-756 to a 3PDF and don't regret it one bit. Try going to your hobby store and see what they have, ask to hold a couple differant radio's, see what you like the feel for.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

is the futaba 3PK already out? if yes, anyone here using this radio? how does it compare to the 3PJ? is it available with FM or PCM? thanks for any info

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.