R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-07-2005, 08:52 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default Am I good enough to be sponsored?

I wanted the opinions of some of you who have any kind of sponsorship. My goal isn't to be "sponsored" or get free products. I would like to be able to travel to big races, but even if I had the best car, I don't have to money to compete with the guys that have new batteries and motors. So any kind of sponsorship would enable me to compete in more events. I have won most of the trophy races at my home track, over the last year. I race 19 turn touring and buggy. I give advise and extend a helping hand to all of the newer racers at my track. I never yell, scream, or even leave the track mad after I get wrecked or break in the A-Main. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks Chad
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 09:06 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

It's not always about being the fastest, You seem to have many admirable tallents there

Best thing i can suggest is to speak to the people you think can support you best (local model shop, a good motor supplier and someone for batteries).

I've been blessed with the support i get but i have been at this for over 20yrs now and although i wouldn't profess to knowing it all or even being the best at it, i very often get asked by alot of club members how to get there cars going right or what my opinion on different matters is, I believe this is the position alot of sponsors like there drivers to be in, Winning is good and they need people at this level to show off there product, but the guy helping the winners get there often gets watched very closely too
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:24 PM   #3
Tech Regular

I don't know a thing about getting sponsered, but I just thought that I would wish you luck in your endeavor. Hopefully, you will get to that level soon enough so that you can tell us all about it. Just don't forget the little people!
jackfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:51 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Am I good enough to be sponsored?

Quote:
Originally posted by Pro4Capece
I wanted the opinions of some of you who have any kind of sponsorship. My goal isn't to be "sponsored" or get free products. I would like to be able to travel to big races, but even if I had the best car, I don't have to money to compete with the guys that have new batteries and motors. So any kind of sponsorship would enable me to compete in more events. I have won most of the trophy races at my home track, over the last year. I race 19 turn touring and buggy. I give advise and extend a helping hand to all of the newer racers at my track. I never yell, scream, or even leave the track mad after I get wrecked or break in the A-Main. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks Chad
If you want to be sponsored then get your resume together and start getting it out, also race as much as you can other places and do well with what you have. Start by getting hobbyshop sponsors, motor sponsors and small battery matcher sponsors (Brian maybe) but races that you do well in away from home will help more for your exposure and any potential sponsors exposure. By the way don't be overly impressed or intimidated by "sponsored" racers motors and batteries you can buy what alot of them run (not factory guys) and do well so don't use that as an excuse not to do well against anyone. Stefan had a few partial sponsors from just being willing to ask and persistence.

Rod
RKeasler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 05:02 AM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless
Default Re: Re: Am I good enough to be sponsored?

Quote:
Originally posted by RKeasler
If you want to be sponsored then get your resume together and start getting it out, also race as much as you can other places and do well with what you have. Start by getting hobbyshop sponsors, motor sponsors and small battery matcher sponsors (Brian maybe) but races that you do well in away from home will help more for your exposure and any potential sponsors exposure. By the way don't be overly impressed or intimidated by "sponsored" racers motors and batteries you can buy what alot of them run (not factory guys) and do well so don't use that as an excuse not to do well against anyone. Stefan had a few partial sponsors from just being willing to ask and persistence.

Rod
Well Said i forgot to mention that the battreies and motors i get are no differeent to what everyone gets, I think thats something the local guys like about the stuff i use, If they get it it will go just the same as mine if geared right and the preperation is done right
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 05:17 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Thanks for everyone's responses. I'm traveling to several out of state races in the next month, so maybe I'll get some exposure. I realize that the 50% off guys get the same equipment I can buy, and I'm not looking for anything special.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:19 AM   #7
Tech Elite

to be sponsored i'm pritty sure being quick is a main point. try cutting your teeth at big events. if you can make the top ten in a big event with known drivers you are ready to be sponsored. rack up a few good results, wow a few people then get your mum or dad, brother or sister (if you are young) to right up a expresion of interest to the big brands out lining your acheivments in rc.

attributes that will help you getting sponsored also are;

-being carismatic. are you a likable chap? do people tend to want to "hang around you"?
-are you approachable.ie can you be a good representative for the brands you support. can you talk the talk and walk the walk. if someone interviewed you do you have the inteligence/ability to communicate basic info?
-can you write? maybe your sponsor wants you to take a active role in communicating to your target market? young racers etc.

if you are a dead set brat and don't appreciate anything anyone does for you and always abuse people at the track and call the newcomers "annoying slow peices of trash that shouldn't be in this hobby!" you've basicly thrown away all your chances.

maybe wait till you are a bit oler and learn how to "market your abilities" this way you can figure out if it is something you really want to do.

maybe ask josh cyrul in his thread. he is a perfect example of what a sponsored driver should be like. my mates told me he's a really cool bloke.
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:04 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to WVRACER

i say go for it i am in the same situtation you are in i want to race more often but my funds do not allow me to. now i have picked up a couple sponsors i am able to get a few things at discount and this alows me to have some extra funds to travel.

bottom line support your sponsors don't think you are GOD's gift to r/c be humble and enjoy what you do.

always be willing to help out the new guys or the old guys for that matter

work on being fast and consistant try your best to win in a good sportsman like way.

if you hack someone appolige if someone hacks you just laugh it off and go on

if you are looking for a battery company my sponsor Fusion Batteries is looking for drivers right now you will not be dispointed in there power.

integy is a great company with lots of great products but tuff to get a deal from took me 2 years of applying to get a responce i use alot of there stuff and run there motors.

my lhs supports me also with a discount just because i am a good customer and i send alot of people to the shop for business

rdlogic was my first sponsor and has been great for the items they supply.

if you can just get a few 20 30 40 percent sponsors it helps out tons. In your resume be honist and tell the truth about your racing if you finnished in the L main tell them. ask some local shops you use if you can use them a refference ask you local track owner if he can give you a refference

don't be scared to do it all thay can say is no

good luck
Rob
WVRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #9
Tech Elite

thanks for the encouragement
Old 02-08-2005, 11:34 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

A few other ideas-- If you are seeking sponcerships from companies that currently advertise or actively participate on this board let them know who you are on here... how you interact on this board is just as important as how you act in person.... and can give good insite as to what you are really like in person.

-- Unless you are seeking Sponcership from Trinity I wouldn't advertise if you go on TTT.... alot of companies see that board as nothing but trouble and troublemakers..... so you may be seen as such....

Once you recieve your sponcerships-- Read and reread your contractural obligaions, what ever they ask of you give 150%, and make sure you follow all the rules to a T... Even though companies like associated and Losi or Trinity and Orion are fierce on-track competetors their drivers are still quite close and when you get a bad name with one company usually all the others find out why your sponcership was terminated "throyugh the grapevine"

I have heard of a few spincered racers selling off the equiptment to make a profit and after thier sponcer got wind of it their contract was ternimated. Concequently they where hard pressed to find another company that would help support them...

On the other hand I know of one local sponcered driver that when asked it he had any spare shock ends that the shop had sold out of he gladly gave up his last 2 for nothing more than a smile, handshake, and thank you!! And he had actually bought them from the shop just 20 minutes prior!!! This happened to me just a year ago and he didn't know me from Adam, I had only raced there 3 times prior when he was out of town for big races!!!

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:24 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Chad, hang in there and keep applying to as many companies as you can, big or small. Be sure to write up a racing resume with an objective, racing experience, big race finishes, future big races you plan on attending, and, of course, at least a couple references. Unfortunately, most companies are looking for good National level race finishes, but it is entirely possible to still land a partial sponsorship (maybe even a full sponsorship) without any National finishes. It took me 3 years of racing before I was able to get my foot in the door for a partial sponsorship. It can be tough, but just keep at it and eventually your persistence will pay off.
RC Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:31 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

When you put together you resume, make sure you spell check it...Just reading this thread, I've notice several BIG TIME misspellings of "sponsored" guys...Several things I've read, I think in R/C Car, misspellings and bad punctuation are major pet peeves of the team managers - I guess they feel if you cannot master the english language (or german or spanish, etc) then you probably couldn't handle being their "spokesperson" at the track...

You have to look the part both on and off the track...Make the people think (know) your head is for something more than a hat rack...
Old 02-09-2005, 06:38 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

There is only two things you have to do.

1. Win at big races.

2. Win more big races.

Some factory drivers are jerks, so being a nice person is not a reqirement, but it is helpful.

Sending out resumes is helpful, but remember the fast guys get approached by the sponsors, not the other way around.

Just go to big races so the powers that be get used to seeing your face, and know you will go to big races.

And most important of all, you have to win.
patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:44 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Thanks guys, I've got two offers so far. The one company wants me to use their batteries at club and national races, but it will cost me more money since I only get free batteries for national events. He offered wholesale for everything else, but the shipping from Australia would out weigh the price reduction. Should I accept his offer, so that I can get a reputation as being a good representitive, or pass and wait until a US company is interested.

Thanks
Chad
Old 02-09-2005, 06:46 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by patrick
There is only two things you have to do.

1. Win at big races.

2. Win more big races.

Some factory drivers are jerks, so being a nice person is not a reqirement, but it is helpful.

Sending out resumes is helpful, but remember the fast guys get approached by the sponsors, not the other way around.

Just go to big races so the powers that be get used to seeing your face, and know you will go to big races.

And most important of all, you have to win.
Yeah, if I want to get sponsored by Trinity