R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #106
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs View Post
There are many good viewpoints expressed here, and i think the specific track conditions make a difference. in nitro onroad i was taught to 'be predictable, drive my line smoothly and the overtaker will get around me', while the indoor electric tracks the custom was to get off line and let the overtaker go.
Thanks, I got into this hobby racing nitro.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #107
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Rookies, noobs, back-markers, traffic what ever you want to call them, we were all there at one point. Passing them sometimes is "pucker time" during qualifiers. I don't get angry with them, I help them, most of the time they are fighting the car and it's hard to figure which way they are going to go when I come up behind them and they try to get out of the way. I figure if I can help get their car settled down, they will drive smoother, focus on driving, and they will make ever effort to get out of the way, usually going wider than necessary. I am sure you all have see the difference between the A & B mains. I'm in the high-middle of our group of racers. Most of "fast" guys have great patience when passing, they know you will go wide and shoot the gap. There are some 'gentlemen" racers that even wait for the guy they punt. Of course there are the other guys, who can punt at will (interesting, maybe we should start a thread : How to Punt a car). A Mains bring the character out most drivers-for better or worst.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #108
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
I don't mind aggressive moves as long as you pull them off cleanly so no I am not riled up about aggressive passing. I am riled up about intentional contact and dirty driving.
So if a driver were to dive to the inside entering a corner, then you'd concede the position? If that's the case, then you probably don't get punted much.

So many times, I have made moves on backmarkers that were clean, only to have the lapper slam into the side of my car after the pass was made. Then the lapper has the audacity to say that he got punted. I had the line, he turns into my car, and his "board meeting" is my fault? Had said lapper accepted that he was .3 per lap slower and moved over, he wouldn't have lost another lap to the wreck, marshalling, and getting back up to speed.
It's really not brain surgery. If you're a lap down to someone, you are no longer racing them. Why force a driver to make an aggressive move when you could just go wide in the sweeper, lose very little time, and go on about YOUR race?
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #109
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Luke Hobson

We aren't talking noobs here... Well I'm not anyway. I'm talking A main at a proper race where everyone is similar in potential pace.
If the leader comes up to you, you should be getting off the line and not interfering in the race.
It's stunning how many people think its fine to "race hard" while being lapped.
Yes staying on line is the general rule in a race such as LeMans, but that's multi class where the differential is 15, 20+ seconds per lap...

You should automatically know that someone is faster than you if theyve driven up to your back door, you shouldn't need the announcer to tell you, it's common sense.

The last thing I want is to go to a race to compete and have my race ruined by being held up and potentially taken out by somebody that shouldn't be in the way while I'm trying to race somebody behind me... It couldn't be more off putting.
And generally in top level spec racing, if your in a situation where your going to get lapped, then you aren't going to catch the rest of the field... Even with the best wish in the world. So your best off letting the leader through and tucking in behind and just keeping out of trouble.

Like Rick said, in a main if somebody comes up to me at a fast pace, even for position, I won't race them too hard (if they're much faster than me) as it could loose me even more time, it pays to have a bit of foresight while racing....

http://luke-hobson.blogspot.com/
Luke Hobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #110
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
You missed the A Main in VTA at Round 4 of the Northeast Grand Slam at Mimi's in Maryland a few years ago. Probably 1/2 of the field was intentionally trying to take Mike Haynes out. To this day it's the funniest race I've ever seen.

PS - They weren't successful.
Was it this;

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Camera isn't high enough, or high enough resolution to be able to see exactly whats going on. All you can hear for 5 mins is crumpling lexan
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #111
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
So if a driver were to dive to the inside entering a corner, then you'd concede the position? If that's the case, then you probably don't get punted much.

So many times, I have made moves on backmarkers that were clean, only to have the lapper slam into the side of my car after the pass was made. Then the lapper has the audacity to say that he got punted. I had the line, he turns into my car, and his "board meeting" is my fault? Had said lapper accepted that he was .3 per lap slower and moved over, he wouldn't have lost another lap to the wreck, marshalling, and getting back up to speed.
It's really not brain surgery. If you're a lap down to someone, you are no longer racing them. Why force a driver to make an aggressive move when you could just go wide in the sweeper, lose very little time, and go on about YOUR race?
Yes. if someone made an aggressive move to take the inside, and they kept the inside line without washing all the way out to the outside then yes. I know how to hold a wider line to prevent crunching down and forcing the other car into the inside wall. Even in a position pass it is very important to know when you got beat into the corner and to give the inside car enough room to drive. That is actually a very well planned and executed pass.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #112
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
If you're a lap down to someone, you are no longer racing them. Why force a driver to make an aggressive move when you could just go wide in the sweeper, lose very little time, and go on about YOUR race?
You are wasting your breath. They can't seem to comprehend this and think they are entitled to race the leader as he passes them multiple times in the same race. That way it is fun for everybody, right?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #113
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Why force a driver to make an aggressive move when you could just go wide in the sweeper, lose very little time, and go on about YOUR race?
I certainly agree with this. I try to practice it whenever I can.

It seems simple:
If you are about to be lapped, you both benefit when it is done with the least delay.
If the guy about to pass you has a whole lap or more up on you, you are not good enough to make it up even if you keep him behind you.

If you are about to lap some one, the benefit of a clean, minimum delay pass is obvious.
If you are good enough to put someone a lap or more down, you are good enough to do it cleanly and make up any delay [you're a fast guy after all]

All in all, I think a little thought and courtesy by all racers is desirable.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #114
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
This is supposed to be scale racing not scale bumper cars. Try pushing your way through the field at lemans bumping every slow car in the way and see how long your race day lasts.

Watch a road race and you will see both drivers yielding so a car can pass and cars holding the line so they are predictable and the faster car can go around.

Yes the leaders or the car doing the passing has the responsibility of making it clean while the slower car is responsible for being predictable by either moving over or holding the line.

I have listened to a lot of these posts and I see the point about yielding. ok whatever but ruining the fun of a good race? What about the guy who just got punted and someone else caused $50 worth of damage to his car? Tough s***? so a slower drivers race day isn't as important as a faster drivers? Its acceptable for a fast car to wreck a slow car because he wants to?
I guess you didn't read much of my post.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #115
Tech Fanatic

Here's one ....the leader in a trophy race get out and at the end of a race comes up behind 2nd place and tries to race him?? Ends up crashing the guys by driving into the side of him...letting 3rd place pass..
What is the take on that?
Mike Pulfer is my HERO....
scootr117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #116
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Luke Hobson

And a coherent version of that post is??

http://luke-hobson.blogspot.com/
Luke Hobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #117
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Lessen

Leader is retarded.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #118
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr117 View Post
Here's one ....the leader in a trophy race get out and at the end of a race comes up behind 2nd place and tries to race him?? Ends up crashing the guys by driving into the side of him...letting 3rd place pass..
If you're coming up behind second you have lapped the entire field, the second place guy should still move off line to allow the leader through.
If the leader wants to 'mess around' and race second place guy and crashes then it's his tough luck
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #119
Tech Fanatic

Trying to post on phone that auto corrects is terrible...I did try let him by. So how the heck is that my tough luck??
Mike Pulfer is my HERO....
scootr117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #120
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr117 View Post
Nitro or electric? Length of race? If I'm about to lap second, I will stay right behind him and not challenge for the lap. As long as he is in front of me, I don't have to worry about him getting the lap back. In nitro, where flameouts and other issues are common and races are longer, I would definitely lap him and continue to put as much distance ahead of the pack as I could.