R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
At what point did I say anything about blocking?

So I'm starting to sense that most of this conversation centers around the opinion that the fast car has the right of way and God given ownership of the racing line????
At what point did I say anything about God?

If you are about to go a full lap down and the leader is coming through let them by, because you are not on pace, period. If your car gets better you will make the time back. If not at least you weren't impacting the race. If your car was on pace you wouldn't be in the position to be getting put down a lap while under power.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
Ok question then. say someone goes a lap down early on because the tires are cold and handling sucks. 2 minutes in that car is up the rear of the leader. Should the leader pull over and give the trailing car a lap back or should he defend his line?
IF the leader is smart, he probably lets the car by so he doesn't get packed. At the same time, he's the leader, and it's the same situation as 2nd place trying to pass him...

Look at the original question this way: Nobody is going to feel sorry for you if you get booted off because you were holding up the leader and you're a lap down. That's bad form on your part.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

On club level, to grow the hobby and slower racers to improve confidence, I think slower drivers should just drive their race and faster drivers do the overtaking.

Anyways a fast driver knows, a little pressure and the slower driver will overshoot the corner, making for an easy inside pass.

I feel strongly about that and that's why I run my races that way. And the rule is the same for all drivers, so it's all fair. My fast drivers understand why and enjoy the rule. The newbies love the rule and enjoy their race.

But for higher level races, where it is more serious, I would agree with slower cars not ruining a good race. But here, "slower" cars are really fast drivers, and even club level champions. They can hold a tight line and really hold up a lapping car. Here I agree they should give way.

Just an opinion.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #34
Tech Addict

Would it be better to have four rounds of qualifying with resorts? I know sometime our mains are not worth watching very little passing just a bunch of guys getting out of the way.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #35
Tech Regular

this has been a very interesting read guys. alot of various scenarios and valid points made. ultimatly driverstand communication is key is it not?

Eagle Racing GRT FRD. Tamiya F103GT. Tamiya Blackfoot............ORIGINAL
kneedeeppow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:01 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeeppow View Post
this has been a very interesting read guys. alot of various scenarios and valid points made. ultimatly driverstand communication is key is it not?
Absolutely. Talking can solve a lot of problems before they happen.

There is an attitude that a call of "lapping" is rude. I disagree. If the lapped traffic hasn't realised the situation, the call of lapping is the best way of avoiding contact. Give it a few corners before making the call though.

If you're being lapped, a call of "inside" as you approach a corner will let the leaders know where the space is going to be.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:03 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
Thank you for all the input.

Here's the reason for my post, this weekend we only had two nitro touring cars and we were allowed to race in the qualifiers I pulled over and let the other driver go he finished with 18 laps and I had 17 laps. In the main I held my line with only two cars on the track, in his attempts to pass me he started over driving his car in some of corners he would push out wide and keeping my line I would keep my position. He did pull off a clean pass, but after the race a comment was made that I should have let him go I thought he pull off a good pass.

In the MOD main, what I notice was most of the contact was made by the slower car trying to give the faster car position moving either left or right on the short straights or moving outside in the corners when the faster was attempting a pass on the outside.

It seems to me that when all drivers know that they should hold there line, that way when a faster car comes up on a slower car they know what the slower car is going to do and there are no unexpected moves unless they are trying to block.
I don't understand from your post whether you were racing the other car for position or whether he was trying to lap you.

In qualifying, you are only racing the clock so should let the faster car by.

In the final, you can race for position. But if you are being lapped, you should just let the car by. If you had been holding your line while a lap down, no wonder the leader was unhappy with you afterwards.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
I was wondering how different tracks handle lap traffic during a race and not qualifying. When a car is going one lap down to the leader, should the car going one lap down be passed or should they just pull over?

I know when I first started racing years ago the policy was to hold your line and the leader would pass you during the race.
In the main you pull over for no one. I don't care how many laps you are down or how close 1st and 2nd are....pull over for no one in the main!
You are defined in life by how you respond to defeat!
hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #39
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy View Post
In the main you pull over for no one. I don't care how many laps you are down or how close 1st and 2nd are....pull over for no one in the main!
That's a great way to pick up a reputation as "that guy"....
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
That's a great way to pick up a reputation as "that guy"....
Would involve him actually getting a car on the track. Last I saw he was begging strangers to help him get his TC6 together. Spur gears are a b*tch.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #41
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Full size racing has blue flags specifically for this reason.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Full size racing has blue flags specifically for this reason.
AND penalties for not obeying them.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #43
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
That's when the rule of 3 is invoked. Move over and you lose 3 tenths, don't move and you lose 3 seconds.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #44
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Absolutely. Talking can solve a lot of problems before they happen.

There is an attitude that a call of "lapping" is rude. I disagree. If the lapped traffic hasn't realised the situation, the call of lapping is the best way of avoiding contact. Give it a few corners before making the call though.

If you're being lapped, a call of "inside" as you approach a corner will let the leaders know where the space is going to be.
It's not matter of rudeness it's not allowed!!

During qualifying the slow car SHOULD be able to understand that the car behind is faster and he SHOULD let him by.
Same thing during finals when lapping. Of course if you are defending your position you may CHOOSE what to do, let him by or give him hard time

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #45
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
That's when the rule of 3 is invoked. Move over and you lose 3 tenths, don't move and you lose 3 seconds.
I thought it was 3 turns... move over within 3 turns or get punted. Don't be a clock blocker!
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote