R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #136
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Lessen

It's not r/c but nonetheless...

5/12/2012 - Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix Qualifying

"Ever the conumdrum, be as competitive as you think you can be, while at the same time staying out of the way of the heavy hitters." - Bob Varsha
Old 05-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #137
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessen View Post
It's not r/c but nonetheless...

5/12/2012 - Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix Qualifying

"Ever the conumdrum, be as competitive as you think you can be, while at the same time staying out of the way of the heavy hitters." - Bob Varsha
Also, Charles Pic gets a drive through penalty for ignoring a blue flag.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #138
Tech Addict

What did Danica Patrick (NASCAR) and Felipe Massa (F1) have in common going one lap down?, they both held their line.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #139
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
What did Danica Patrick (NASCAR) and Felipe Massa (F1) have in common going one lap down?
Both slow?

Quote:
they both held their line.
And most of the rest of the backmarkers moved off line. Why should the front runners go off line, get in the marbles, and potentially throw the race away?
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #140
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Both slow?

And most of the rest of the backmarkers moved off line. Why should the front runners go off line, get in the marbles, and potentially throw the race away?
I guess it's depends on the situation. If someone with less experience pulls off the line. Could take both people out, lapper and lapee
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #141
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I asked the fastest guy at our track yesterday what he wOuld prefer and he said he would rather the back markers hold there line. It's 6 of one and half dozen of the other. There is no right or wrong. It's just hope everyone makes it through ok.
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #142
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Both slow?

With both slow the leader was able to get around them.

If you notice during the (F1) race back markers held their line Pastor Maldonado backed off when approached back markers with Fernando Alonso behind him. With only two laps left in the race most of the back markers did move.

Last edited by Bubblehead; 05-13-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #143
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

depends on the situation, if being lapped I definitely give consideration to the faster cars as contact of any kind is generally a bad thing for all involved, if it's 2-3 superfast guys fighting a battle at a high level carpet race I'll damn near crash myself to get out of the way, but if it's local and you are lapping me because of a first lap pile up and I was the TQ and no one is chasing you down... well, I won't hold you up but I won't be pulling over - sorry. It all depends on the situation and the biggest factor, Do you know the other driver and his tactics and does he know you? I'm sure most of you know who you can trust and who you can't so you drive with them appropriately. I give the unknowns a TON of room doesn't matter if I'm being lapped or lapping, If I don't know you I am uber careful, but if you and I have hundreds/thousands of laps between us then all bets are off and this is when "rubbing is racing" is a good thing. Unlike the way I hear that being used as an excuse for horrible driving.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:43 AM   #144
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
What did Danica Patrick (NASCAR) and Felipe Massa (F1) have in common going one lap down?, they both held their line.
I believe Alonso was running second to Maldonado when Maldonado approached to lap Massa.....that might be why he held his line......
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #145
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Lessen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
I believe Alonso was running second to Maldonado when Maldonado approached to lap Massa.....that might be why he held his line......
Yes. Exactly.

It is important to keep in mind the difference between when the leader catches you and after. PAM caught MAS in the corner, in which case it is perfectly acceptable for MAS to hold his line. However when the leader is approaching quickly well before the corner is reached the most acceptable approach would be fir the lapped down car to yield the preffered line.

Now in rc things are very different because our tracks are basically turn after turn after turn.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #146
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Well Massa didn't hold his line as the rules of F1 state that a lapped car must move over and let the leaders through.
If an F1 driver doesn't move over and ignores three blue flags he will get a drive through penalty. The blue flags are waved at the marshalling points, so if the leader catches up to the lapped car going into a corner the lapped car has to move over on the next straight or as soon as possible. If the lapped car is caught on the straight they have to concede at the next corner.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote