R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-07-2005, 10:10 PM   #61
Tech Master

Default Re: Can I buy you a drink

Quote:
Originally posted by TCR
Future :: I could go back and explain everything to you like you so nicely did, but why waste my time, this topic is about rc mag vs consumer internet report

the TC4 was just an example someone else brought up, for all I know I would of gave it the same score,

I just dont think your reviews start from a rating system of 1, more like a rating system of 5 to 10 and not 1 -10

If you tell me and the people reading this, that there is absolutly no influence from your advertisers when you start thinking about your reviews, thats fine, I'll take your word. If you said that some where I missed it.

Do you want reader feedback, or do you guys do things so perfect that everyone who reads it and has an differing opinion must be wrong?

your defending something you wrote, I would do the same, but I'm not attacking somthing you wrote, I was only agreeing with one fo your Moderaters here..
Who said there isn't influence? You don't think they make it painfully obvious that advertising pays the bills? That's where integrity comes into play. There are ways of dancing around saying something is bad that is still saying it's bad without pissing everybody off. The advertisers are considered with what product you see in reviews, what things are used in articles, but for reviews they are not. It's hard sometimes to print a review when you know they aren't going to be happy. But they don't see the issue until it's off the press.

Please don't try to make things up. Magazines are the end of discussion but often times the start. I've been racing for so long, been in the hobby for just as long. Worked at a hobby shop for years and at magazines for 5 years. When somebody tries to tell me that I don't know what we are doing or that I'm owned by the advertiser it gets old (a simple search will show you that I will post about crap like this all the time).

I've reviewed things where people didn't agree with what I put. Get mad when they think that something is better than it is and I get the same when somebody thinks it's worse than it is.

XRC was the only magazine to first say that the Novak Brushless wasn't a 10-turn mod. And good god the crap people posted, but look now it's accepted it isn't. We do a lot of things that are good for our readers and not the advertiser because we know if the reader doesn’t' believe some of the things we say then our circulation will fall and the advertisers will leave. I also have to say that saying stuff on the internet isn't as powerful as print. There's no taking back every mag or hiding behind a net-handle. People on the web can say whatever they want and not have any worries.

If you've got lots of things you say you can review how about wasting time doing our "reader reviews" on our website? At least waste time constructively.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:12 PM   #62
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Gearhead3
yeah this is true, For Hot Bodies. They had very good customer service, sent us out parts so that we can make our customers happy.

As far as tamiya was concerned the rep tried to help but kept telling us to do things we have already done, then he would say do it again...LOL and they still never worked. None the less the product was sent back.....Ba o well..........Im done here.........

.keep up the great work at extreme. The only Mag i have to put a black plastic guard over, with the words adult only....LOL J/K
And I'll say this for all magazines. If you don't see it reviewed within a few months of release it wasn't good enough to print. There's lots that is good that can take up the limited pages we prin each month.

As for the TXT-1, I've never seen or heard of any problems with that truck. But if you guys built all 6 and there were problems was it the truck or builder?
Old 02-07-2005, 10:17 PM   #63
Tech Master

I forgot to mention that I'm always accepting free drinks.

Godspeed, bottoms up, here's to friends.

Also TCR I'm hoping you wouldn't date me but your mom would!!! I do have a sense of humor
Old 02-07-2005, 10:28 PM   #64
Tech Adept

I read Xtreme every month and think the reviews are honest and accurate. I think some of the problem comes with the rating system. There is a one to ten scale and only the top three spots are being used. I know the new cars are very good and are very similar but I start wondering about a car or product that received a 8 when its competition received a 9. Is it better or just very close to the same? It received a higher score but only one point higher than the other. So if a product every received a 5 it would absolutely suck and a one you would almost have to buy it to make fun of it.
I really noticed this in the touring car shootout. The written reviews made the cars sound like there were huge differences in them but the overall tally score they were within a few points. Just a suggestion for what it is worth.
I always read the reviews of fellow rctechers before I buy.
JimMcClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:28 PM   #65
TCR
Tech Addict

My mom is dead man, thats not funny...
TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:30 PM   #66
Tech Fanatic

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Actually I am cool with the fact that the XRC guys stand up for themselves. Since I read the mag for my R/C fix, as well as for info on products its not too hard to form my own opinion about the products tested. As far as the rankings go especially on TCs, all of the top cars are so close that there really is not one that should not get at least 7s or 8s, you just can't get away with junk in this category. By the way if you get your info from mags or the net you still better be able to make up your mind based on what you think because opinions are like bumholes...

Rod
RKeasler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:34 PM   #67
Tech Rookie
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Angry WOW!!

Behavior in this Forum

So I log in after work tonight, and what do I see? All out nonsense all across the Electric Forum. In all the years that I've been involved with this, I have never been more saddened by peoples' actions than I am now.

I see users posting off-topic threads in here all over the place. Users who know better.

I see users jumping at the chance to make the first joke at somebody else's expense in nearly EVERY thread they post in.

I see users attacking others with no good reason, and often without merit.

And I see users using the topical threads here for instant messaging--one line messages full of smiles, icons, and other junk that adds nothing to the discussion.

You are all better than this.

I built this site on the idea that it would not be over-moderated like some other message forums out there. People should be able (and are able) to post whatever they feel like, provided it is in the correct area and does not disparage somebody else. In the past, I have always relied on everybody's good sense and judgement to take care of the place, but lately it seems that much of that good sense has evaporated.

I am not planning to change anything, but I do ask that EVERYBODY here consider a few things:

(a) Stop using profanity. I don't care who you are or how upset you are or want to sound. I can't read every post on here, so yes I probably miss a lot of it, but there's just no reason for it.

(b) Stop acting like you own the place. When a rookie or less knowledgeable user posts a question, the first response lately always seems to be some sort of joke at their expense. This needs to stop. We were all beginners at one time or another, and no matter how smart you think you are, there is always somebody smarter. If you disagree with somebody, there are thousands of polite and productive ways to address it.

(c) Stop feeding the trolls. Today, for example, somebody posted a message criticizing a well known driver. It sounds like he blew the thing way out of proportion, but thanks to many of our members, it is CERTAINLY now out of proportion. Some responded with intelligence, but most responded just for the sake of responding, and to take a cheap shot at somebody. This is just stupid.

(d) Be more respectful of this site and everybody on it. You are given free access here to do whatever you want, so show a little respect. If you know a post contains nothing useful, don't post it. If you are just planning to rip on a car/product/thread/person with no merit, refrain from posting it. Say you think I'm a retard; send a PM to all your friends about what a retard I am, don't start a thread about it.

I can't force anybody to do anything or behave in a particular way, but I am certainly hopeful that people will choose to. The more clutter and nonsense goes on here, the worse off we will all be.

Thanks.

[email protected]

I have nothing else to say, it's all here.
parrotgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:41 PM   #68
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

JimMcClure: You do bring up a good point about the shootout. We kind of felt the same way. Coming up with some sort of an accurate rating system was the hardest part of the Shootout, which is why we went heavy on the text.

People tend to look at the numbers before the text in any review. So if we think Car A was better than Car B, and we have a 10 point scale to work with, do we give A a 10 and B a 2? That does and doesn't make sense. It tells you that A was better than B, but how bad was B? Was it so incapable that it deserved a 2?

In the shootout, we had 9 cars that were all capable of turning fast laps on the track. The lap time differences were not all that much. No single car was complely and totally off the pace. It would be hard for me to rate even the lowest car at 50% of the highest car, because there wasn't a 50% difference on the track.

I should go back to the data, which I know I have saved somewhere. I bet if you averaged everything to establish a lap time baseline, the best car wasn't more than 10% above it and the worst was no less than 20% below it. I don't have the ratings in front of me, but I am fairly sure that the final numbers reflected this.

It's very tough to come up with a system that works in every case. Does the above make any sense? I hope so. We actually had many long and potent arguments about the Shootout rating system, there were four or five people involved in the Shootout at the office and we each had our own idea of how it should be. I think it turned out pretty well.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:56 PM   #69
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by JimMcClure
I read Xtreme every month and think the reviews are honest and accurate. I think some of the problem comes with the rating system. There is a one to ten scale and only the top three spots are being used. I know the new cars are very good and are very similar but I start wondering about a car or product that received a 8 when its competition received a 9. Is it better or just very close to the same? It received a higher score but only one point higher than the other. So if a product every received a 5 it would absolutely suck and a one you would almost have to buy it to make fun of it.
I really noticed this in the touring car shootout. The written reviews made the cars sound like there were huge differences in them but the overall tally score they were within a few points. Just a suggestion for what it is worth.
I always read the reviews of fellow rctechers before I buy.
The cars were close but very different. And just like anything there were three of us testing with 3 different driving styles so sometimes things got averaged. It's like saying between a 911turbo, lambo and Ferrari which car was awesomest the suckiest...you know what I mean?
Old 02-07-2005, 11:10 PM   #70
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by TCR
No...she's not...

That has GOT to be the oldest comeback ever...like 2nd grade old...

But if she really is deceased, please forgive me....

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:23 PM   #71
Tech Master

That's standard mom joke come back.

Currently my mom is dead, asian, black, jewish, and a hooker.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:37 PM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Derek, we must be brothers!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:38 PM   #73
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by TCR
sorry, dude.

id still get with her though

necrophilia: when it's time for a cold one!!!
hugh janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:39 PM   #74
Tech Master

Man this thread got funny.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:45 PM   #75
Tech Adept

hey derek...i need a job. i live in ga. and would work for next to nothing. i could write about stuff or take some pictures for the mag. i have a decent cell phone camera...good quality as long as the object isnt moving. and my probation officer says im a real people person. p.m. if you need my services. (yes, i have taken all the high school equivilentcy tests.)

hugh janus
hugh janus is offline   Reply With Quote