Wiki Posts
Search

balancing 1/10 touring tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default balancing 1/10 touring tires

i just bought a hudy wheel balancer along with the 1/10 tire adapter. it seems like when i try to balance 1/10 touring tires and f1 tires either all of the tires are balanced or the tires do not weigh enough to overcome the friction in the balancer's bearing. i spin the wheels on the balancer and they alway stop in a diferrent spot indicating balance. I though hudy had the best products and i'm truly dissapointed after spending 65$.

is it worth balancing 1/10 tires does any one really do it.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aceinthesky
i just bought a hudy wheel balancer along with the 1/10 tire adapter. it seems like when i try to balance 1/10 touring tires and f1 tires either all of the tires are balanced or the tires do not weigh enough to overcome the friction in the balancer's bearing. i spin the wheels on the balancer and they alway stop in a diferrent spot indicating balance. I though hudy had the best products and i'm truly dissapointed after spending 65$.

I thought those were just for offroad tires.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

No one I know of balances onroad tires. I used to and it seemed to be beneficial, but it's a big pain. I used a touchless airplane prop balancer and never had a problem, just took a long time.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EricW
I thought those were just for offroad tires.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/advance...105520&x=7&y=2

thats the adapter i bought it says 1/10 touring.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

I've never used the Hudy balancer, but make sure there's no grease in the bearings. If there is, clean them out and add a light oil, or nothing.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Suspended

Gotta clean out the bearings otherwise this will happen.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Chris Adams
Gotta clean out the bearings otherwise this will happen.
so i have to clean out a brand new adaper. it had only been out of the package and on my table. i was reading on the hudy website that they clean out bearings and put the lightest weight oil in it from the factory.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I clean and oil new bearings from a brand new kit before i install them.

I think it's the bearing supplier that packs them in grease. Not sure why though...
Old 05-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If the wheel is not stopping at the same spot everytime that means that wheel is balanced. I thought this was sort of a common knowledge. I also have the 1:10 Hudy balancing setup and it has proven to be reliable. Out of balance wheels will cause vibrations in your car at speed. That can lead to a number of issues, as slight as they may be. If you're all about making sure your car is in perfect working order I can't see why balancing would not be done. I'm sure many of us do other things to our cars to attain even less than neglible performance advantages.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Storage is the answer. Many greases have anti corrosives in them. Great for storage but not the absolute best for use in our rc cars. Some are thicker than others though so it's generally best to wash it out and use a grease or oil of your choice.
As for balancing. Maybe at the top levels of mod racing but not so important running in most sportsman classes. Then again, if you bench test your car and it has a severe enough wobble at any given wheel, I'd do a little balancing.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Lessen
If the wheel is not stopping at the same spot everytime that means that wheel is balanced. I thought this was sort of a common knowledge. I also have the 1:10 Hudy balancing setup and it has proven to be reliable. Out of balance wheels will cause vibrations in your car at speed. That can lead to a number of issues, as slight as they may be. If you're all about making sure your car is in perfect working order I can't see why balancing would not be done. I'm sure many of us do other things to our cars to attain even less than neglible performance advantages.
i have balanced a tire before and i know how to do it, i just never did it with the hudy balancer and on 1/10 scale touring can.

update i cleaned out the bearings and removed the rubber seals from inside side of the bearings (they were binding) on adapter and whola. now i can balance them, just makes me disappointed that i had to do that on a 65 dollar balancer.

thanks for all the help.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

on the last 3 new xray kits I've gotten, I've put in more work than the manual says.

You get what you put in to RC gear.

Besides, all you had to do was a few bearings, and now your issue is resolved.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i have balanced a tire before and i know how to do it, i just never did it with the hudy balancer and on 1/10 scale touring can.

update i cleaned out the bearings and removed the rubber seals from inside side of the bearings (they were binding) on adapter and whola. now i can balance them, just makes me disappointed that i had to do that on a 65 dollar balancer.

thanks for all the help.
Interesting. Mine was smooth as butter right out of the package. Were the seals crossed up or something?
Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 AM
Tech Initiate

I think some scales which are specially designed for RC can do the balancing
Old 05-15-2012, 02:25 AM
Tech Regular

Storage is the answer. Many greases have anti corrosives in them.