R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Tamiya FF03 PRO or F104 PRO

Debating on which one to get =( Want to try some 2WD fun, Both looks cool to me. HELP~!
playplugjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Probably no help as I have never driven a FF03, but I have an F104Pro and love it to bits, I love fiddling with it and doing my own mods to it etc.
FST4RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

ff03 anyday they are such fun cars to run and set up but get the pro or wait for r kit its worth the extra
ben w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:45 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

If you're and off road driver as well I'd go F1, but if you're not and don't like RC that punishes you for not being calm and steady go the FF03. Front wheel drive tends to push wide when you drive to hard where a F1 will spin.
No longer defined as a Off or On-road racer, but simply a RC enthusiast.
WildManDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:25 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Check with your local track what type of car is run ?
get the one with the most followers as running alone is never fun while running with others are lots of fun

Go 235mm with X10 widening parts from www.lajf.se Get your P28 at www.lajf.se/pshop
tudor_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

which car has more traction and dont spin easily, the local track i got is a nitro track. where surface has low traction and maybe a bit dusty. or maybe a school yard
playplugjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:56 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Hi guys,

i need some help. i recently bought an FF03 Type R body. Looks awesome. I added a 5,5t mtronics motor plus esc. Im using a Spektrum DX3R radio. I found that if i hit full throttle the car moves slowly like as if the gears are not catching. if press the throttle slowly and hold it there then it moves away and picks up speed but I have to keep the throttle very light. Any ideas how to solve this? Is the motor too powerful?
Zaheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaheed View Post
Hi guys,

i need some help. i recently bought an FF03 Type R body. Looks awesome. I added a 5,5t mtronics motor plus esc. Im using a Spektrum DX3R radio. I found that if i hit full throttle the car moves slowly like as if the gears are not catching. if press the throttle slowly and hold it there then it moves away and picks up speed but I have to keep the throttle very light. Any ideas how to solve this? Is the motor too powerful?
It sounds like the front ball diff is too loose.

Check the manual for how to correctly build and adjust it - basically it shouldn't slip noticeably under load, and the wheels should move smoothly in opposite directions if turned by hand.

Easiest way to check for diff slip is to hold the spur gear and one wheel still, then try and turn the opposite wheel by hand. It should take a fair amount of effort to make it slip.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:08 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

M05 for front wheel drive fun

SERCCC, www.serccc.com
Space for rent!
luda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:09 AM   #10
Tech Regular

ff03 anyday they are such fun cars to run and set up but get the pro or wait for r kit its worth the extra

caaraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:32 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

both are fun to drive.... especially if you have others to race with. it both classes are available to you locally, get both.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Less parts are exposed on the FF03.......helps in a crash!

F104, front suspension arms and wings tend to go quick.......well depending on your skill level, however everyone crashes once in a while
mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
It sounds like the front ball diff is too loose.

Check the manual for how to correctly build and adjust it - basically it shouldn't slip noticeably under load, and the wheels should move smoothly in opposite directions if turned by hand.

Easiest way to check for diff slip is to hold the spur gear and one wheel still, then try and turn the opposite wheel by hand. It should take a fair amount of effort to make it slip.
Thank you, this kinda helps. I opened the diff in the FF03 and what I found is that the diff plates need to be glued to the wheel hubs and requiresa synthetic rubber cement. I used the Tamiya cement which I think may not hold well since the hub is plastic and the diff plate is metal. I think what's happening is the diff is spinning quite fast whilst the diff plate slips on the hub. The design in my opinion is a little flawed. Also Tamiya don't sell a synthetic rubber cement. I wonder if anyone else running an upgraded motor experienced this.
Zaheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaheed View Post
Thank you, this kinda helps. I opened the diff in the FF03 and what I found is that the diff plates need to be glued to the wheel hubs and requiresa synthetic rubber cement. I used the Tamiya cement which I think may not hold well since the hub is plastic and the diff plate is metal. I think what's happening is the diff is spinning quite fast whilst the diff plate slips on the hub. The design in my opinion is a little flawed. Also Tamiya don't sell a synthetic rubber cement. I wonder if anyone else running an upgraded motor experienced this.
The rubber cement is, in my opinion, unnecessary. I just use a dab of the silicone ball diff grease, the glue might make the plates run out of round. There may be some optional one-piece outdrives (not sure, as I don't know the FF-03 well enough).

Rubber cement is available quite cheaply from most hardware stores, it might be sold as a shoe repair glue.

The upgraded motor is going to put more load on the drivetrain, naturally - personally speaking a 5.5 is a waste in a front-drive car because you will just wheelspin the performance away and create a bunch of other handling problems - these cars are at their best with relatively slow motors.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why not wait and get both? That's what I plan on doing. Both look like they have excellent parts support. The F104 looks like a few more options are available as far as aftermarket parts are concerned.

I personally want to see what characteristics the F1 cars share with 1/12 scale, and I love my Mini's. The FF03 looks like a more sophisticated version of the m-chassis cars.
scribbler is offline   Reply With Quote