Old 08-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

bump;for some attention
come on 3R
Old 08-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Too bad its 190 and not 180. Would make for another option for local racers if it were 180.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Odin544
Too bad its 190 and not 180. Would make for another option for local racers if it were 180.
190 mm?, FGX is 190 mm, If this is an evolution of F109 it will be 200 mm and foams , much better than 180 for outdoor rc tracks. 180 mm is mostly for indoor and small parking lots.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rokosam
190 mm?, FGX is 190 mm, If this is an evolution of F109 it will be 200 mm and foams , much better than 180 for outdoor rc tracks. 180 mm is mostly for indoor and small parking lots.
We run indoor on carpet. It has nothing to do with which is better on what surface. Wider is going to be better. Period. Only reason the standard rules were changed to 190 from 180 were to allow a chassis that didnt fit the rules (fgx), the ability to run.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Odin544
We run indoor on carpet. It has nothing to do with which is better on what surface. Wider is going to be better. Period. Only reason the standard rules were changed to 190 from 180 were to allow a chassis that didnt fit the rules (fgx), the ability to run.
It depends of surface and tires, 200 mm rubbers don´t have advantage over 180 rubbers at least on tarmac and small tracks. But, yes as I said better for our european medium-big tracks foams + 200 mm is the rule and what really rules. And as I also said F113 will be 200 mm not 190.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

F113 front&rear wings are available.

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...t.asp?s_sort=3

FYI, Thanks.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm assuming the F113 will be 180mm wide as the front wing, body and rear wing also suit the F104.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Smile

F113 body on F104.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by spring71
I know that some are going to "flame me" for this; but I don't like this body at all!! Follow me on this: Back in the 90's when 4wd touring cars first became a huge hit with on-road racers everywhere, the biggest draw was not only their ability to run and handle great on asphalt and carpet, but at the time they came with beautiful "scale" bodies from the likes of Tamiya and HPI. Also, the wheels were scale looking as well, no ugly solid dish wheels in neon colors, etc. Same with the bodies; they were painted and decaled like real cars; no ugly weird neon and flames paint schemes! Then companies like Protoform and others introduced the ultra-aerodynamic "blob" bodies that weren't a copy of any real car. The wheel and tire manufacturers responded with the ugly dish wheels that didn't look like any real wheels. Scale realisim and the original charm of touring car racing was sacrificed at the altar of all-out performance and speed!!

I see this move by 3 racing as the beginning of the same end result for F1 rc racing, because the "performance addicts" who have to be fastest and win at all costs will buy these bodies and toss out their beautiful scale Tamiya F1 bodies. Then they will all dump the rubber tires and some manufacturer will start selling white or neon green dish wheels with foams to give the ultimate performance!! The result will be that mainstream F1 rc racing will go the route of touring cars and lose it's soul, it's identity, and the charm that drew us to F1 racing in the first place!
Old 09-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

wow. Thats deep.
Some will buy the body some wont, I might just to see what I can do with it. Most of us like the scale bodies and will stick with them. Still some dont like the old bodies becuase they arent modern, and some dont like the new ones for the opposite reason. Everybody has choices, and now, we have one more. I dont think it looks that bad, and with some kind of livery on it, who knows.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

If the body were mounted on 200mm and fat tires, it would represent something from the era. Maybe. Though sidepods look too narrow.

But at 180mm, it does seem like a fantasy F1 car.

Any case, organizers have control whether to allow or not. I would not, unless it is on a 200mm (with matching tire width of the era).

Old 09-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
I see this move by 3 racing as the beginning of the same end result for F1 rc racing, because the "performance addicts" who have to be fastest and win at all costs will buy these bodies and toss out their beautiful scale Tamiya F1 bodies. Then they will all dump the rubber tires and some manufacturer will start selling white or neon green dish wheels with foams to give the ultimate performance!! The result will be that mainstream F1 rc racing will go the route of touring cars and lose it's soul, it's identity, and the charm that drew us to F1 racing in the first place!
If your complaint is that the body is a 'performance' body and not scale, I showed it was actually a scale body here . Painted in the Leyton House colours instead of the Toys-R-Us paint scheme shown here would make a huge difference.
Now we haven't seen the F113 chassis, so we don't know if there is a specific reason they have used the March CG901 body, it looks like they need a body with the nose humps to clear the front end. If 3Racing was going for a high performance non scale shell there are much better shapes than this, with its sharp edges and extra bumps all over, for example a Brabham BT52 body would have much lower drag with a better airflow to the rear wing. Considering the F113 looks like a wide car, then the retro body is a perfect choice and will look better than fitting the body on an F104.

As for the 'beginning of the end' to scale bodies, well that started 20 years ago with several generic F1 bodies, even ones made by Tamiya themselves. If performance was everything we would all be running Protoform bodies or the Tamiya rerelease McLaren shells and all running rear diffusers. As for foams and dish wheels, well mainstream F1 racing around the world already run foams today, and F1 managed happily with foams all through the 90s until Tamiya switched to their rubber tyres and killed off the class. As for dish wheels, well they have been available for a few years from Yeah racing, Tamiya supplied dish wheels with their early F1 cars, and the McLaren and Ferrari kits both come with dish wheel covers. Yet we aren't all running dish wheels on our F1s today because F1s have never been about ultimate performance at the expense of scale looks.

And until F1 is big enough to have its own world championship what the rest of the world does is irrelevant to what rules you want to race to, if you want to run narrow cars then the only thing you have to worry about is whether Tamiya will stop making narrow cars and only sell the wide ones.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by terry.sc
If your complaint is that the body is a 'performance' body and not scale, I showed it was actually a scale body here . Painted in the Leyton House colours instead of the Toys-R-Us paint scheme shown here would make a huge difference.
Now we haven't seen the F113 chassis, so we don't know if there is a specific reason they have used the March CG901 body, it looks like they need a body with the nose humps to clear the front end. If 3Racing was going for a high performance non scale shell there are much better shapes than this, with its sharp edges and extra bumps all over, for example a Brabham BT52 body would have much lower drag with a better airflow to the rear wing. Considering the F113 looks like a wide car, then the retro body is a perfect choice and will look better than fitting the body on an F104.

As for the 'beginning of the end' to scale bodies, well that started 20 years ago with several generic F1 bodies, even ones made by Tamiya themselves. If performance was everything we would all be running Protoform bodies or the Tamiya rerelease McLaren shells and all running rear diffusers. As for foams and dish wheels, well mainstream F1 racing around the world already run foams today, and F1 managed happily with foams all through the 90s until Tamiya switched to their rubber tyres and killed off the class. As for dish wheels, well they have been available for a few years from Yeah racing, Tamiya supplied dish wheels with their early F1 cars, and the McLaren and Ferrari kits both come with dish wheel covers. Yet we aren't all running dish wheels on our F1s today because F1s have never been about ultimate performance at the expense of scale looks.

And until F1 is big enough to have its own world championship what the rest of the world does is irrelevant to what rules you want to race to, if you want to run narrow cars then the only thing you have to worry about is whether Tamiya will stop making narrow cars and only sell the wide ones.

All those things being said, I still stand by my previous post!! KEEP F1 SCALE!!

I'm not neccessarily against foam tires, especially on carpet, I'm more opposed to ugly non-scale dish wheels! But regardless of whether Yeah Racing sells dish wheels and the "performance addicts" persist in buying them; I still say they have no place in F1 racing!

You may think that I'm being paranoid and over-reacting to all this; but I sure wish more racers had spoken up back when touring car racing started to go the non-scale route and put a stop to that nonsense then and there! And yes, you are right that it will be up to individual tracks and clubs to regulate the rules regarding F1 racing. I don't think that Tamiya will ever move away from "scale" F1. So long as real full scale F1 rules stipulate the current narrow design, Tamiya will follow suit. If real F1 goes to a wider car and wider tires, Tamiya will follow suit. They always do!! No doubt F1 cars will look quite different in 2014 when the new rules with turbo engines and smaller wings and lower noses go into effect. And most likely Tamiya will follow suit at that point. The point being is that Tamiya will ALWAYS try to make their F1 cars look as much like the real, current F1 cars of the day, as much as possible!
Plus Tamiya will also supply bodies that represent vintage F1 cars as well, like they currently do. The funny thing is, that to me, what I consider to be a "vintage" F1 car would be from the 60's and early 70's. Who wouldn't love to have a 1967 Lotus 49 or Eagle Weslake bodied F1 car with scale wheels and tires! Or how about the black & gold wedge shaped JPS Lotus 72 that Fittipaldi and Peterson made so famous from 1972-1974!!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Clicking the link shows this photo. Real car next to the F113 body shows this body is scale.

But how scale are you looking for? Real F1 has IRS. How many Tamiya chassis come with IRS? How many Tamiya bodies are up to date with F1? Is your only "scale" issue dish wheels?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.