R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Best value 1:10 electric touring car kit for beginner

Title pretty much says it all.
What would be the best most upgradable platform for an adult on a budget interested in checking out racing?

Thanks
Toat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to LasagnaCat

What class were you planning on running?
Old 04-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

I don't know but the track I would be at has these 2 classes:

Stock-17.5 27 turn/Lipo or cells/ Foam or Rubber Tire Super Stock-13.5/LIPO/Rubber Tire

Mod-10.5/LIPO/Foam Tire

would stock vs mod class effect my decision on a car kit?
Old 04-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
Tech Master

there is the sakura zero s or associated just released this not to long ago like maybe a month ago so you would have to get the tires specific to your needs and a body is needed as well

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCFLH&P=ML

this has a newer chassis so it is made to be able to use brushless and lipo as well
rcduder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I wish this question was easy, but its not. A beginner car that is upgraded is hardly ever as good as something else you could have bought for the same money. A used high end tourer is more difficult to trust because you dont know where its been and its not "new" even though it will be superior in performance to the entry level chassis.

Avoid the E10 chassis. It will not handle no matter what you do to it. The Sprint 2 sport can be upgraded but will still not be on par with Tier 1 sedans. A used top end sedan can be bought for about what a new Sprint will cost.

The Sakura from three racing is about $100 new for the base model, and can be upgraded to a top level TC. It is one of few that are that cheap on the bottom and yet that competitive when tricked out. X-ray also has a cheaper version of their winning touring car that can be bought for about $250. Chassis only.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Thanks,
That sakura zero s looks very nice. would that have better "out of the box" performance than the tc4?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toat View Post
Thanks,
That sakura zero s looks very nice. would that have better "out of the box" performance than the tc4?
Don't know because I never ran a tx4 but the stock zero s can keep up with the high end cars no problem. it is a very capable chassis.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toat View Post
Thanks,
i wouldn't say one of them has an advantage over the other, there both basically entry level cars and its really all about driving. The sakura does have more optional upgrade (aluminum, carbon fiber etc.) parts though to make it a higher end touring car then the tc4 because the tc4 has been around for a lonnngggg time but the sakura is cheaper and does come with tires (even though they most likely wouldn't work well for racing) i would say go with the sakura that way you have more money for tires and a body thats needed and if you have extra money you can get upgrade parts or spares
rcduder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

thanks guys, the sakura looks like an ideal choice.
now to essentially answer this question for the rest of the compenents, lol
Old 04-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to LasagnaCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
Don't know because I never ran a tx4 but the stock zero s can keep up with the high end cars no problem. it is a very capable chassis.
One thing to consider is parts availability. In general you can find Associated parts everywhere, just be sure you have a source for Sakura parts. If you stick with the hobby (and the same car,) you'll have a better upgrade path with the Sakura. The TC4 at some point you'd most likely end up replacing with a different/newer/'better' car.

The newer cars are sometimes a bit easier to setup because they were designed around the lipo battery packs that are usually run in most race classes.. they balance better out of the box and the sweet spot for setup is often a bit larger. The TC4 is an older design designed during the nimh battery era. It can still be made to work, however.

Between the two, I'd go for the Sakura. Someone earlier mentioned a higher end used ride... if you know anyone you trust to evaluate a used ride, that would be my first option over either new kit.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

On a budget t3r, If you want the best t3.
B00t13g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
Tech Master

Spare parts can be a concern. The sakura is becoming a more and more popular car in the US every day. When I got mine I had to order parts from Hong Kong. It really wasn't that bad to do so but now there are a lot of distributors in the USA. You will need to keep basic parts on hand just like you would for any car but the spares can be ordered and delivered in just a couple days time now vs 8+ days that it used to take from Hong Kong. I never worry about missing a race because of parts availability. they are everywhere now. Add to that that some xray and tamiya parts will fit with minor modifications and you are ready to race.
Serpent S120 13.5
Old 04-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Honestly you may want to consider the TA05 ver II as well. It's a good car bone stock to start with and option parts are endless. Also, Tamiya USA distributes to hobby shops here, no need to deal with HK/online hobby shops if you don't want to.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Honestly you may want to consider the TA05 ver II as well. It's a good car bone stock to start with and option parts are endless. Also, Tamiya USA distributes to hobby shops here, no need to deal with HK/online hobby shops if you don't want to.
3racing distributes to hobby shops in the US as well. My home track in marietta Georgia is one of them (hotshot rc) tqrcracing is another.Maybe not as widespread as tamiya but they are in the US.
Serpent S120 13.5
Old 04-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Refer to this thread as well: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ra-zero-s.html

As I mentioned there we have about 14 of these cars running at our club in their own class (17.5 hobbywing motor and hobbywing Justock esc with set FDR) and they are vitually unbreakable . We have a number of young drivers who have hit every barrier on the track (at full tilt) and breakages have been almost non existent!

Simon
Team_Krusty is offline   Reply With Quote