R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 147 (99%+)

Story time kiddies...

Bought a T2 008 for my stepson late 2009 for him to use in 2010, It was a bit rough & must of had a few owners already, got it from Ebay for $180. We changed a couple of things with spares I already had though nothing major.

He did one major race with it in early 2010 & lapped the who field in the process, Car was then sold off for $275 as he dropped out of racing due to the pressure from his wife's thumb.

It appeared again on Ebay late 2010 as guy didn't have time to race & was re-purchased for $130

I then rebuilt it using spares I had & did well with it at club level till selling it in 2012 for $150, the guy who bought it sold it some months later for $183, again on ebay

A used Xray can do well in most races if built right & driven well, are strong & retain it's value so you really never loose on it, quality always shines thru...

Goodnight
Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
Tech Rookie

Default highly recommended upgrades

After looking at several kits, I'm gonna get the sakura zero s. My question is there a place, or does done one know of some highly recommended parts to upgrade, then also some optional parts. Its been a while since Ive been in the hobby....lol just to let you know my last tv was a losi street weapon... I would appreciate any help with parts
4bigkidtoys30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

ive purchased plenty of used top tier RC chassis from various forums. If you look for someone whos always ran a chassis protector on a carbon chassis theres no reason you shouldnt buy the chassis. the nice thing about a used chassis is there usually setup for racing pretty decently already, you just have to replace some highwear items eg; bearings and shock oils.

its like i tell my friends dont be afraid you can always sell it again
onecleanjetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Tamiya TA05 or TA06
Minami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bigkidtoys30 View Post
After looking at several kits, I'm gonna get the sakura zero s. My question is there a place, or does done one know of some highly recommended parts to upgrade, then also some optional parts. Its been a while since Ive been in the hobby....lol just to let you know my last tv was a losi street weapon... I would appreciate any help with parts
The friends of mine that have Sakura S cars immediately went to aluminum bulkheads and motor mount. Maybe a few other shiny bits. i think a CF chassis plate came later for one of them. One fella bought so many hop up parts that he was able to put the original car back together to sell to a friend that was new to racing .
Old 04-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Aluminium spur gear holders with 19tooth pulleys, vertical motor mount for zero s not just the zero. the s mount has an extra aluminium piece you need, and aluminium wheel hexes. Everything else is just for fun. Check out the zero s thread for a full rundown and congratulations you will love this chassis.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
The friends of mine that have Sakura S cars immediately went to aluminum bulkheads and motor mount. Maybe a few other shiny bits. i think a CF chassis plate came later for one of them. One fella bought so many hop up parts that he was able to put the original car back together to sell to a friend that was new to racing .
A few of us have decked out the entire car. Not out of necessity but for the fun of upgrading. It was almost as much fun adding the hop up parts as it is running the car.
Serpent S120 13.5
Old 04-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

T3R! Great car and tons of upgrade options available

Xray X1, X10
Tamiya RM01
ProlevelRC * ProlevelRC Service
tnewlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #24
Tech Rookie

Thanks everyone..that there was a lot of good feedback I can use.... I also agree, it willl be fun playing with upgrades. I do have another question on chassis, and shock towers!!! For chassis I'm finding a (std) and (hard) Im going to be on asphalt...which chassis is recommend for an upgrade. For the towers I see two versions I think one set is 4mm!, again which should I look at for asphalt...TY all for your feedback its been great, love this site.

Matt
Old 04-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks everyone..that there was a lot of good feedback I can use.... I also agree, it willl be fun playing with upgrades. I do have another question on chassis, and shock towers!!! For chassis I'm finding a (std) and (hard) Im going to be on asphalt...which chassis is recommend for an upgrade. For the towers I see two versions I think one set is 4mm!, again which should I look at for asphalt...TY all for your feedback its been great, love this site.

Matt
you don't need to have a upgraded upper deck unless you want to install the vertical motor mount.
and you don't need to upgrade the vertical motor mount unless you are going with something like 7.5t motor with 16 tooth pinion gear(not sure about the accurate number, I'm running 17.5t and I don't install it).

for 17.5t, a normal pinion gear setting for asphalt is probably around 33-38t(really depends on the track), and:
a notice: 38t pinion with stock 80t spur gear, doesn't fit the stock motor mount, NOR the vertical motor mount. I then got a 33t pinion and it will only work with stock motor mount.
Hence if it's a high speed track, you may want to get a (maybe) 70t spur gear to fit more big pinion gears.

again, you don't need to upgrade the shock tower if you are using the stock shock, or the sakura zero upgrade shock. If I was right ( correct me if I am not), the +4mm shock towers are for shocks like tamiya shock, which also requires tamiya ball studs.

At least for beginner, no upgrade is necessary, even the stock shock works just fine. You may want to upgrade to zero's shock because you want the ride height to be absolutely perfect, while the stock shock's spacer can't work it out perfectly.
Oh, the stock turnbuckle isn't very strong(I bend one when I was installing it), a pair of Titanium ones for both front and rear will just perfectly solve the problem.

BTW, if you get the anti roll bar, don't forget the anti roll bar mounts, they are sold separately.
nicholasxuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I have recently picked one up. I can highly reccomend Tq Racing to pick one up. I ordered a kit and some shiney bits. Ordered on a thursday morning. They shipped that day, had it in ohio by saturday, Best part...shipping was free!

Trick Graphics--see spdrac430 on this forum for all your painting needs

Team Pit Racers-Fastest Guys In The Pits!
joelwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #27
Tech Rookie

well this sucks, TQ RC Racing only has the kit, and most of the good upgrades, are sold out that sucks, don't know what to do...do not want to get kit and, then have wait to be able to add better parts down road...
Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I'd pick up a used chassi from here on rctech. Ive seen some good deals on Xrays and tc6s and a top photon on here too.
hyujmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
well this sucks, TQ RC Racing only has the kit, and most of the good upgrades, are sold out that sucks, don't know what to do...do not want to get kit and, then have wait to be able to add better parts down road...
Google hotshot rc in marietta Georgia. This is my home track and they are very well stocked with sakura parts.
Serpent S120 13.5
Old 04-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #30
Tech Initiate

could someone recommend a good budget radio, esc, motor (for stock or mod class), battery, and charger to pair with the sakura? thanks
Toat is offline   Reply With Quote