R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Tamiya 1/10 onroad motor

Wondering what brand/type of brushless motor would be best for my 1/10 scale onroad. Don't want to spend a fortune!

At the moment running a 5100 7.2v nimh battery, don't really wanna buy a lipo because the other gas cars i run all run this type. Easier to keep them all the same.

Cheers Lads.
sirweasle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

We need A LOT more info from you to help. Chassis, esc, class, track type, surface... basically everything you can tell us about what you have now and what you want to do with it.

Also there isnt really a "best" of anything. At best we will be able to give you a bunch of motors that will work for what you want.

I'm going to guess since you don't have brushless now, you don't have a brushless esc. Which you will need.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

all i know is it is a 'TT-01 Type-E Chassis, shaft driven 4wd 1/10 scale tamiya onroad car. A kit with the led lights in the shell, $200 from toyworld. It's only a basic setup (for the price).

Ideally i would like to put a receiver in the car that is compatible with a spektrum DX3C Transmitter, as this it what i use with my 5t Baja...

As for the ESC, if possible, i would buy the kit. (Motor and esc combo) but for the time being, im just using the stock tamiya teu-104bk.

As for use... I may race in the near future, but at the moment i just like stuffing around.

Any advice and help is much appreciated as im completely hopeless with ELECTRIC Rc...
Old 04-23-2012, 02:21 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Run the car as is then to start with, and if you want to race it see what your local club offers. Its really not worth spending any money on the actual TT01, but upgrading the electrics which can be transplanted into a better chassis if you decide you like racing is a good idea.

But find out what classes your local club runs. There's no point buying a motor and esc just to find out you have the wrong stuff.

Start in whatever the slowest TC class your local club runs. It will make it easier to get used to racing the car, and you will have more fun if your not being marshalled every 2 corners, and breaking the car more often then finishing a heat. Which is what will happen if you try to put to much power into the car when you first start out.

The receiver your after would be the SR300.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Yeah, went down to the track today for a spin. Pretty fun but the car is pretty damn slow, so that takes abit of fun out of it.
Im used to racing 1/5th baja's, so compared to that, this on-road is easy as. I think i will race, but maybe not with this car. I might try find a second hand on-road, all-ready set up for racing etc...

Need to upgrade allot of stuff to get this to a machine i would be happy to compete with. Still a fun stuff around car on dusty concrete tho.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Saturn 20, and a speed controller that can handle it.

UK Industry standard brushed motor, cheap as chips!