Wiki Posts
Search

traction compound questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default traction compound questions

i have some questions about what traction compounds are made of really as people have reactions to different types.

also does any one have any home made traction compounds or recipies they use.

looking to find or make something that doesnt effect a person so i can get them to race again.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snopro31
i have some questions about what traction compounds are made of really as people have reactions to different types.

looking to find or make something that doesnt effect a person so i can get them to race again.
affect a person? You mean that it isnt toxic?

I have used an old bingo dotter and filled it with simplegreen(cleaner) and dabbed it. I have good luck on rubber tires with it.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

ya he gets a head ache from traction compound all the time. so hoping to find whats in most compounds to see if there is something similar in them all

also if someone has sometype they make i can try make some see if it effect him. i dont get effected. yet you can spray cleaner near him and nothing its just something in compounds that gets him.

maybe i can sort stuff out and with help from others find some type of compound that works and is kind of hypo alegenic not really but i have heard of a few people that are effected by most compounds out there
Old 04-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 328 (100%+)

I have had problems with traction compound for the last 4 years. been racing since 96 so not sure why it started effecting me 12 years later after racing. the ones that effected me the most was paragon and buggy grip. they would put me down for a week after a full day of racing. quit because of it but came back and race and hangout side after running my qual and things haven't been as bad.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Paragon (or anything else with methyl silicate) sometimes gives me a headache. Go with low odor compounds and that isn't a problem.

Pretty much all of them contain various different combos of petroleum distillates. If he has some sort of allergic reaction to petroleum (I know someone that is), you're pretty much stuck with just cleaners like simple green.

I would try something like SXT 3.0. Seems to be pretty mild stuff and works well.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Good day!

I am using a 50/50 mix of WD40 and kerosene with good results.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Yeah, WD-40 goes alright on its own too.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BCbud
Good day!

I am using a 50/50 mix of WD40 and kerosene with good results.
Try mineral spirits and castor oil, about 80/20.
Super traction that last.

WD40 is mostly fish oil.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:57 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnny boy
I have had problems with traction compound for the last 4 years. been racing since 96 so not sure why it started effecting me 12 years later after racing. the ones that effected me the most was paragon and buggy grip. they would put me down for a week after a full day of racing. quit because of it but came back and race and hangout side after running my qual and things haven't been as bad.
Hey I had the same problem too...as long I have lunch or something to eat..it is not as bad....most of us skip lunch or not eating cause we are too busy working on their car...
Old 04-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snopro31

What additives is he allergic to?
Old 04-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Skiddins
What additives is he allergic to?
we dont know that why im looking for whats in most to try and find common things to see if thats what it is.

thanks to everyone that replied hoping to find as much info about whats in them as i can.

i really like the homemade ideas i am going to try and mix a couple up and see if they effect him or not and if they still work well.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

i use "GOO GONE" as a cleaner/traction compound its made using citrus oils so its non toxic.

i also use a 60/40 mix of Simple green and Alcohol works well also.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maxxican
i use "GOO GONE" as a cleaner/traction compound its made using citrus oils so its non toxic.

I hate to burst the non-toxic bubble that some of these products profess, but there have been some studies going on to find that everything has the potential to be toxic to us humans. Things like Simple Green are better for the environment, but still has some bad effects, has to be considered. I don't want to start a craze that goes over the top and that we all need to be in sterile room or we will die either,, so, just be smart about usage of anything.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldrcr
I hate to burst the non-toxic bubble that some of these products profess, but there have been some studies going on to find that everything has the potential to be toxic to us humans. Things like Simple Green are better for the environment, but still has some bad effects, has to be considered. I don't want to start a craze that goes over the top and that we all need to be in sterile room or we will die either,, so, just be smart about usage of anything.
Wait, So spray painting an entire bedroom is a bad idea? Does it help that I kept the door and windows shut so that it doesnt go throughout the house or deplete the o-zone?

Old 04-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Maxxican

goo gone they make alot of different things is it one type of cleaner you use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.