R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-02-2005, 08:04 PM   #1
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Behavior in this Forum

So I log in after work tonight, and what do I see? All out nonsense all across the Electric Forum. In all the years that I've been involved with this, I have never been more saddened by peoples' actions than I am now.

I see users posting off-topic threads in here all over the place. Users who know better.

I see users jumping at the chance to make the first joke at somebody else's expense in nearly EVERY thread they post in.

I see users attacking others with no good reason, and often without merit.

And I see users using the topical threads here for instant messaging--one line messages full of smiles, icons, and other junk that adds nothing to the discussion.

You are all better than this.

I built this site on the idea that it would not be over-moderated like some other message forums out there. People should be able (and are able) to post whatever they feel like, provided it is in the correct area and does not disparage somebody else. In the past, I have always relied on everybody's good sense and judgement to take care of the place, but lately it seems that much of that good sense has evaporated.

I am not planning to change anything, but I do ask that EVERYBODY here consider a few things:

(a) Stop using profanity. I don't care who you are or how upset you are or want to sound. I can't read every post on here, so yes I probably miss a lot of it, but there's just no reason for it.

(b) Stop acting like you own the place. When a rookie or less knowledgeable user posts a question, the first response lately always seems to be some sort of joke at their expense. This needs to stop. We were all beginners at one time or another, and no matter how smart you think you are, there is always somebody smarter. If you disagree with somebody, there are thousands of polite and productive ways to address it.

(c) Stop feeding the trolls. Today, for example, somebody posted a message criticizing a well known driver. It sounds like he blew the thing way out of proportion, but thanks to many of our members, it is CERTAINLY now out of proportion. Some responded with intelligence, but most responded just for the sake of responding, and to take a cheap shot at somebody. This is just stupid.

(d) Be more respectful of this site and everybody on it. You are given free access here to do whatever you want, so show a little respect. If you know a post contains nothing useful, don't post it. If you are just planning to rip on a car/product/thread/person with no merit, refrain from posting it. Say you think I'm a retard; send a PM to all your friends about what a retard I am, don't start a thread about it.

I can't force anybody to do anything or behave in a particular way, but I am certainly hopeful that people will choose to. The more clutter and nonsense goes on here, the worse off we will all be.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:54 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well put. It seems the Electric On-Road forum has become the "Open Discussion" section.

Also...is it possible to get rid of or to archive some of the "Mega Threads?"

Threads like the JRXS, BMI, 1/12th, TC3 and TC4 threads are simply huge! Maybe we could start them anew and at the first post have a link to the archived part.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:35 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Soviet
Well put. It seems the Electric On-Road forum has become the "Open Discussion" section.

Also...is it possible to get rid of or to archive some of the "Mega Threads?"

Threads like the JRXS, BMI, 1/12th, TC3 and TC4 threads are simply huge! Maybe we could start them anew and at the first post have a link to the archived part.
Please NO to the splittingand archiving of threads...keep the information current...

The only thing I could possibly propose is that if something is so active that it loks like it needs to be split...then having it's own subforum with several more specific conversation threads?

I don't think that was the point of Shane's message though
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:00 PM   #4

One thing I would like to add is to encourage users to use the "report" button to report posts that are in poor taste. I can't, and I am almost positive that the other moderators do not have the time to read through every new post in the biggest forum on the site, so when someone gives us a hand by pointing out areas that need attention it is very helpful. PM's are just as effective.

Josh
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:00 AM   #5
Tech Master

It's really funny, I was talking about that yesterday to my friends, that this board seemed to have lost some of it's initial good spirit, and now have a lot of people coming here to say "don't buy that product because i bought one and there was a screw missing".

Shane, I wouldn't have put it any better, keep up the good work.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 07:31 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by TRF415boy
It's really funny, I was talking about that yesterday to my friends, that this board seemed to have lost some of it's initial good spirit, and now have a lot of people coming here to say "don't buy that product because i bought one and there was a screw missing".

I'm really thinking it's the; RTR's suck, You're not hardcore into this hobby, I'm faster than you, get out of my way, I need to look good so I can get a sponsor crowd...
Old 02-03-2005, 07:41 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by vtl1180ny
I'm really thinking it's the; RTR's suck, You're not hardcore into this hobby, I'm faster than you, get out of my way, I need to look good so I can get a sponsor crowd...

I completely agree! Let's not forget that racing is not what this hobby is all about for most people. Racing is very cool, but let's not put someone else down because it's not there thing. Having a difference of opinion is what makes the world go around, how you voice that opinion shows what you are made of.
RCevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 07:41 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

First Let me appoliguise if I have affended anyone.
Second All my post all though have a slight ring of sarcasim I do not want anyone to walk away from a conversation feeling anyless of them selves.
Thirdly I fully agree, there have been all out slanderous posts and blatant disregard to the posting rules as to Nudity in Altavars and profanity.
Lastly I will try to watch what I say and make sure to keep it on topic.
Thanks futureal for this site and please except my appoligees.
Thanks,
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 07:45 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by TRF415boy

I dunno... Racers experience with all products are what makes up 90% of the info in here. It's one thing if 1 person makes a "bad" product statement, and another if 3 or 4 people say the same thing about a product.

I'm all for an archiving and starting new threads.. BUT have the archives available for searches..... I would make this site faster.... Not as much lags.....
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 10:15 AM   #10
Tech Master

I was just giving an example. My point was, before the internet, if there was a problem in your kit you'd go to your LHS and sort it out with them, and if it was a big problem the LHS will sort things out for you.

It could take time, and I saw LHS's open boxes in their own shop to help a customer while awiting for the part from the manufacturer.

Now people seem to want everything, right away. And if things are not to their liking, they come on the net and start bashing the product. I saw a few of these threads in the past few months and I was appauled.

Not to speak of the attitude of certain persons. vtl1180ny is so right, I came here first to find knowledgeable and friendly people, and that's what most of us came for. As i said in my first post; some of this spirit seems to have gone.

It's sad to say, but as RC Tech has grown, and has attracted many of the best drivers in the world, and representatives of many big RC companies, it also seemed to have attracted a lot of people that are no good. I mean, this is a hobby, the most important thing is to have fun, wether it is electric, nitro, buggy, touring, drifting, grippy, MT's, Micros, racing, bashing NO MATTER what you like to do with them cars, it's for FUN.

And even if you're new to it, i should say moreover if you're new to it, you have the right to ask the questions you may have without being laughed at, but with intelligent and knowledgeable people (which i believe are still on that forum) repliying to your query.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 10:26 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Get a grip of yourself dude... umm let it slide... what I meant is... all forums go thru such periods. Its part and parcel of a forum's growth. Its not just RC, its any forum out there.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 10:44 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Default Re: Behavior in this Forum

Okay boss !!!
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 11:38 AM   #13
Tech Regular

This problem does indeed exist in most online forums out there.

I wonder if one day R/C Tech could perhaps move to a system that does a bit more "scorekeeping" for posts and users. Slashdot is a good example of a forum that gets insane participation, but does a reasonable job of filtering out the comments that are useless or off-topic. Read below for more details.

http://yro.slashdot.org/faq/com-mod.shtml#cm600

I think we could already do some stuff to make this forum run more smoothly, though.
  • Remove the "number of posts" score from a users data... it just encourages quantity-not-quality posts
  • Stop the "mega-thread" mentality... People just don't take the time to read all 100 pages of the TC4 thread. And... collecting all data for a particular car in one thread makes it harder to search for a certain topic. If a user wants to know about "TC4 gearing"... it'd be way better to have that information collected in a thread that's just about TC4 gearing... that way someone could search just the titles of threads and find it immediately.
  • Encourage people to use PM for targeted communication to a user. All the time someone will say something that's off-topic... then people respond to that post on the same thread informing them that it's off-topic... and before you know it you've got threads that are 1000 posts long, but only 40% of the posts add any value.
  • If you can't install some kind of rating system for posts...have a few more moderators that will enforce your rules a bit better.
Bob Nilsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 11:48 AM   #14
Tech Elite

The internet has allowed people from different parts of the world, different way's of life and different social and economic backrounds to come together and share idea's.... Does it always go smoothly, no it does not!!!!

Go to the main forum index and check out the post/thread numbers between the various forums here... You could do away with the Off Road/MT and Even Nitro forums and still not make a dent in the bandwidth used.... We're all here discussing EP On road....

I have been as guilty as any of making smartass remarks and sometimes uncalled for jokes in the threads, I'll admit that.... I guess we all shouldn't hit the reply button if we don't have something relevant to add.... But I still like my idea of rigging explosives.. hehehe....

There are a lot of newbies in this hobby, RTR's are here to stay, like it or not.... This is our hobby but this is companies like AE, Losi, Traxxas, etc's livelyhood... They need to sell products to pay the bills as do the hobby shops.... Tracks are and should be second fiddle to a LHS selling merchandise.... Any shop that thinks they can pay their bills strictly off their track (>cough< SSH >cough<) is either going to charge us through the nose for parts, struggle to stay open or just close one day....

I got into this hobby the way a lot of the older people here did... Control line cars, when I was a kid in the 70's.... We then started taking half ass kits and making our own mods... Imagine that, we made things..... Today people just want to jump on the internet, click buy me and go out and beat the best of them out there... Hate to tell you, it isn't going to happen.....

Electric TC's are getting out of hand.... Every month there's a new part, new chassis, new motor and new battery to drain your wallet on.... I miss pan cars, which is why I'm really only runn 1/12th... They handle better, are faster than, 1/10th of the headaches and 1/3rd the price of TC's.... Only bad thing is that they make all these companies no money... We only need to buy them once....
Old 02-03-2005, 02:37 PM   #15
Tech Master

Case in point. Look at this thread.
What was the topic again?
Futureal, you should have locked it after your post.
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote