2005 Snowbirds Race Coverage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2005 Snowbirds Race Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 12:17 AM
Tech Master

I think one of the most important reason for European drivers succes, is that more and more or at least quite a big part of the development is in Europe, compaire to 10-15 years ago, when the industries was US based.
With Xray, Schumacher, Corally as well as LRP, Orion and now also Advanced Electronics, there is a lot of things going on in Europe, and as European drivers are close to these companies, it have also gave us good oportunities to show our skills, and improve as technology is improving.
US brands usally test and develope with US drivers, as Japaneese manufactories prefer test with jap, drivers. The same goes with the Europeans of course.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:22 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Q) apart from the birds ,how many indoor big tracks are out there or do you race out doors all the time cos of your weather
Old 02-18-2005, 01:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by MR JOLLY
Q) apart from the birds ,how many indoor big tracks are out there or do you race out doors all the time cos of your weather
Well, as Europe is very different, from a weather aspect, this vary big times. Even in Sweden, as the summer season in the north is like weeks....
Southern Europe is a compleate different strory, as they have summer most of the year
Outdoor tracks are pretty big things as they usally being used and build for 1/8 gas. In Sweden we are fortunate, as we have like 15 realy first class outdoor permanent tracks.

No one race with foams here. Indoor season starts in Sept. Oct, and ends around april. The size of tracks is different everywhere, but our main problem is to have enoughīt traction on local races or practice, as this couses new problem on big events like DHI cup, LRP masters etc. where our cars can run "heavy" because lack of knowledge / practice from our side.

Outdoor tarmac is more popular in middle/ southern europe as there outdoor season is much longer.
Perhaps thatīs why scandinavian drivers are pretty good with rubber on carpet?
I think itīs like the old windsurfing trick. If you practice with a surfboard with rounded bottom, you are a master with a flatbottom board.
Learn to drive without a lot of traction, you have to learn how to set up the car.

I also beleve the 12 turn rule in Europe have helped companies like Orion-LRP as they have to learn so much about what to tune and adjust on the motors to be fast, where in "free wind" you can always go from 8 to 7 if you not fast enough. Problem is that Orion, as Oscar is just on every race on the planet, adapt this knowledge to Modified, so that gives him an advantage there as well. In my opinion, this is why other work hard to introduce brushless....

Last edited by Anders Myrberg; 02-18-2005 at 01:20 AM.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think Anders hit on an important point. In Europe we race on rubber tyres a lot more than the US drivers do. If you're used to driving a car that has so-so grip compared to foam tyre racing it becomes a lot easier to make the switch to foams.

I'm not so sure I completely agree with Greg that the European top drivers enjoy it more as a hobby. While it is true that most don't work in the industry they do look for good sponsorship deals just like the US drivers do. What I do think is that the European drivers are a bit more serious about the big, and in Jilles case even the small, events. Joking is good and having fun paramount, but to win you also need to focus.

A final piece of the puzzle could also be that Europe has been fortunate enough to see some very very good young drivers make it to the top. In the US this development seems to be lagging a bit. Although Mike Dumas is showing the talent is there. But let's be honest, how long has a Mike Blackstock or Barry Baker been around?
Old 02-18-2005, 02:24 AM
Tech Adept

And how long has a Tony V. been around??
Just joking......

Anders and Tony, very very good comments, could not
write it better.
Yeah, quite right, times have changed. Seems like the
Europeans have caught up big time by driving skills
and technics.
I can remember some years ago, there was no way
even touching guys like Neisinger, Masami, Joel Johnson, Doseck,
Blackstock, Swauger, Kinwald or anybody else.

Dave Spashett was, and still is, an inspiration for as Europeans,
he was the first guy braking the US/japanese domination which
showed us the way to go!!
Reg.
Markus
Old 02-18-2005, 03:07 AM
Tech Regular

after the istc worlds ended in florida last year, some american drivers posted on rctech saying that if it had been run on carpet with foams, the a mains would not have so many european/japanese/asian drivers. some even went as far to say that the top 3 would have been americans.

well this year's snowbirds showed that the europeans can drive with foams too. i'm sure the top japanese drivers would have done well also if they had been there. so in a way this is a wake up call to the american drivers that they need to improve....
Old 02-18-2005, 03:16 AM
Tech Adept

Why should we Europeans need be fast with foams.
A lot of those drivers being in the A-Main, besides Teemu,
I guess are used to foams from 12scale.

There is not much difference in TC foam or 12scale, tire
handling is about the same.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Maybe that is why the USA guy`s are finding it hard to compete with the Europeans now!
The Europeans race at the top level with whatever tyre is being used wether t27`s,slicks on carpet & foams but the USA guy`s seem more to use foams & nothing else, slick ouside yes! but this was the indoor at the birds which has high lighted the difference in performance between europe & usa guy`s
Q)has using different tyre setup`s across Europe helped to widen the driving standards

Foams could be seen has 1 dimensional
Old 02-18-2005, 05:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Something to think about....

When was the latest "New USA" driver. It has been the same guys for a while now. There is no reason , for some of the fastest new talent to step up to full mod racing. Bobby Flack comes to mind as the latest guy who will be on podiums in the near future, but whom else. ( not to take away from other people I do not know of)

The Europeans and the Japanese will continue to hand it to the Americans, until we decide to STEP UP and inject fresh blood into this game.

This comment in no way questions the commitment of the top level guys as I do not know them personally, they just dont have new guys pushing them.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

I think a main part is location. Jilles and the Hudys develope the car in europe and have more time with it. Mike Dumas got the car about 3 weeks ago and had to learn a car and find a setup in short time. (still finished 2nd in 19t) Also someone like Smyka who is running for Xray made 19t sportsman TQ and finished 2nd made the main in stock and still gets no love to receive the new car. With the carpet nats only a month away, some up and comer like Mark should be working with that car now. I know the guys from Europe have some months of head start.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

One thing in the USA Favour is
it was only the mod main they struggled 1/12th,oval,19t,stock
you can say you done well to fill the positions in the top
hope i got that right??
The Europeans are quite new blood in there, dave spashett been around awhile, still doing okay
craig is finding hard at the mo he`s been around long time but rest of them quite new really
Old 02-18-2005, 06:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by DerekB
I guess making sense is journalism? Don't blame the world for our own problems or say that else where is better.

If the neighbors grass is greener maybe it's because we forget to water our own once in a while.

We can learn a lot from a fortune cookie. The thing I see different is that the racers in europe don't waste their time bitching and complaining about where racing is better. I haven't read where they come here and race and say it sucks. I read nothing but US complaining. It gets old when the racers that do this for a living have nothing good left to say about the industry that feeds them. If all I did is complain about my job and how bad it was...i'd have a new job.

Greg, I'm not saying this about you but our drivers need a swift kick in the nuts. Why would a young racer want to aspire to be anything when the people at the top say such things.

ZZZZZ all you want, but the problem is actually waking up.

I think I kinda already said all that...........
Old 02-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

Well I think....well I know...ITS OVER !!!!....NO ONE CAN DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT NOW !!!....Face it....Giles' was DIALED....Congrtulate him...shake his hand...give him a kiss...I dont really care...cant we find something GOOD to tal about the race...Like the fact they finnished relativley early this year...Hardly any problems running the race...no MAJOR problems involving the race....I had a BLAST...I personally always enjoy the Snowbirds...and it really is a shame that all anyone on here can talk about it ONE thing that happened bad and NOTHING of the good that happened during the event...I hate to say it..but its America...if itsnt bad news...its not news at all....

-EG
Old 02-18-2005, 06:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Eurasia vs USA...

At the Birds..... Same equipment? I think so....
Same rules? I think so......
Same format for racers? Yep....

How did all the Euroasians do at the birds?
Or are we just talking about 1 driver?

Seems like a lot of penis envy from the American side.....
Old 02-18-2005, 06:38 AM
Tech Regular

Im not sure I like the term "Penis" envy....Im not that way....No I know what you are talking about....Im not sure what is going on here...I thought the dude did an OUTSTANDING job at the event....I shook his hand after the race..He deserved the win...anything doesnt really matter at this point...

-EG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.