R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Novak Edge/25.5 combo issues

I started having some issues with my Novak edge/25.5 ballistic combo today. After about 3 min or so it would stop. I still had steering but no go. The esc was blinking the Blue and green lights which says its a possible rotor lock error. But the car was still free spinning. I tried my trinity 25.5 and it doesnt seem to have any issues. Possible sensor board issue? Anyone else have any issues like this?

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

have you moved the factory motor timming?
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
have you moved the factory motor timming?
Yeah. I have had it as high as 45, but when this started it was at 40. I thought maybe the screws were too lose, but I backed them off a little and it still did it. I'm not new to ESC/motor issues, but this one has me stumped. I changed sensor wires, checked for binding and it is totally free spinning. I too, the motor apart tonight and the bearings are nice and smooth. The motor is only a couple months old. Guess I got a bum one.

XRAY XB8'14
Old 04-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What I've found out lately and also repaired is that ppl are overtighten the screws and cracking the board.
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Not using 25.5 but have the following similar issue:

I'm having a problem with my Edge ESC stopping at about the 8-9 minute mark in a 10 minute race. Steering servo still operates, but no drive to the motor. The problem is fixed by turning ESC off then on. Motor is a 21.5 Revtech in an F1 car. Spektrum radio and Futaba servo. After a 10 minute race, ESC was 90 degrees and motor was ~120.

Seems to do it randomly although did it two times in three runs at a race recently. Car would just stop in the middle of the track and I had to tell the marshal to turn off then on so I could continue the race. Not sure what error lights are blinking as after the marshal turns it off/on, everything is ok again. I plan to call/email Novak tomorrow but just wanted to see if anyone was having issues. Love the speed control, but it's very frustrating to have it ruin races!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post

I'm having a problem with my Edge ESC stopping at about the 8-9 minute mark in a 10 minute race. Steering servo still operates, but no drive to the motor. The problem is fixed by turning ESC off then on. Motor is a 21.5 Revtech in an F1 car. Spektrum radio and Futaba servo. After a 10 minute race, ESC was 90 degrees and motor was ~120.

Seems to do it randomly although did it two times in three runs at a race recently. Car would just stop in the middle of the track and I had to tell the marshal to turn off then on so I could continue the race. Not sure what error lights are blinking as after the marshal turns it off/on, everything is ok again. I plan to call/email Novak tomorrow but just wanted to see if anyone was having issues. Love the speed control, but it's very frustrating to have it ruin races!
Mine turned out to be a bad sensor board. I replaced it and have not had any issues since.

XRAY XB8'14
Old 06-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post

Are you using the glitch buster capacitor? I highly recommend this addition. My edge had similar issues. Installed the capacitor and everything has been fine ever since.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well it's happened to me. New F1 build Edge, SAvox, Reedy Sonic & Spectrum.
1st Run. Steering would go out, so I added the power cap provided to the rcvr and all was well or so I thought. After about 2 laps -blue & green blinking, changed sensor wire same problem- steering no throttle. Does recover with toggling power. Tried a couple of things on the bench and it still ended up in the same error code. going to swap ESC to see if problem follows ESC. I guess its time to give Novak a call.