R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Foam Tires On The Trf 415 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/62054-foam-tires-trf-415-a.html)

SERPENTFREAK69 02-02-2005 12:35 PM

Foam Tires On The Trf 415

CAN I USE FOAM TIRES ON THE TAMIYA TRF415?CHOCO

koabich 02-02-2005 01:23 PM

Ummm....Yes. There are many pages on this in the 415 thread. Do a search.

SERPENTFREAK69 02-02-2005 01:43 PM

I DID NOT SEE ANYTHING ON THAT...GOT ANY HELP?

HotrodGT*** 02-02-2005 03:31 PM

I ran into the same problem. The answer is no, the standard 28mm foams that everybody uses does not fit on the front of the 415ms. They hit the steering knuckle before they even come close to tightening up. You have to either cut the foam down to 25mm or switch to HPI Pro 4 steering knuckles and old style tamiya axles which are longer. You can also convert the front end from metric to standard by using Losi steering knuckles, bearings, and Associated nitro TC3 axles with the Tamiya bone. You also have to use a losi or Associated wheel hex with that conversion. You would think that with as expensive a car as the 415ms they would have at least made it so foams fit on it. Around here, nobody runs rubber tires on carpet.
Hope this helps.

koabich 02-02-2005 03:56 PM

28MM foams DO fit on the 415...and they can be made to fit with no problem at all.. Actually, I run Jaco tires and they measure closer to 29mm than they do to 28mm.
This is what to do:
-Remove some material from the rear sway bar mount: where it is attached to the rear A-Arm. This will give you the necessary clearance.
-Depending on which hole on the front A-Arm you mount the shock too, you may need to do some work. If you use the inside hole, you will have no problem. If you use the outside hole you will need to remove some material from the bottom of the shock ball cup.
-you will also need to use 1.5mm worth of spacers (Tamiya makes these...not sure on the part number) on each axle to push the wheel out a little. You should do this regardless because this will push the car closer to the 190mm limit and allow for better handleing (yes yyour car will be race legal...depending on which suspension mounts you use).
-Since foam wheels are smller in diameter than their rubber counterparts, you will have to shave the top off of the ball cup that attaches to the top of the castor block.

Between using the spacers and removing some material you will have no problems running foam tires.

HotrodGT*** 02-02-2005 11:23 PM

Kaobich- Are you running the old 415 with the old suspension, or the new 415MS with the lightweight suspension? On the 415MS with the lightweight suspension there is no way 29mm foams will fit on the front. I put 2mm of spacers on the wheel hex's, and the wheels still didn't even come close to clearing the knuckle where the turnbuckles hook on. I think you might be using the old suspension because on the new suspension there are no interference problems on the rear. The rear sway bar doesn't even come close to the wheel. The two cars have all together different suspension and bulkheads.

Jack2 02-03-2005 01:59 AM

cut em down to 26mm ;) the least amount of rotational mass with the right amount of stiction( GRIP)

SERPENTFREAK69 02-03-2005 06:30 AM

VERY INTERESTING...I AM GETTING THE REGULAR 415 SO MAYBE THE FOAMS WILL FIT...I WILLTRY AND SEE...THANKS CHOCO

stumper 02-03-2005 06:38 AM

So are you going to actually bring it out and run with us on wed. nights ??

koabich 02-03-2005 07:13 AM

Yes, I am running the stock 415. That's the car the question was asked for.
Yes, if you do what I suggested, you will have no trouble running foams.

Others have been mentioning that they cannot fit foams on a 415MS and I am not suprized, as that car is designed to be run on asphalt with rubber tires. That is not a foam tire car!!

Hope this helps

rcpinky 02-03-2005 02:46 PM

415 MS use new reversable arm which WOULD NOT work with 28mm foams.
The old style Arms will work with foams.

SERPENTFREAK69 02-03-2005 02:51 PM

Originally posted by stumper
So are you going to actually bring it out and run with us on wed. nights ??
actually yes,i will.....i want to take a little break and run electric but this is my first electric so i may need help out there....choco

SERPENTFREAK69 02-03-2005 02:52 PM

Originally posted by koabich
Yes, I am running the stock 415. That's the car the question was asked for.
Yes, if you do what I suggested, you will have no trouble running foams.

Others have been mentioning that they cannot fit foams on a 415MS and I am not suprized, as that car is designed to be run on asphalt with rubber tires. That is not a foam tire car!!

Hope this helps

thanks a bunch!choco