R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

And people thought foam tires were just such a huge problem. LOL.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
And people thought foam tires were just such a huge problem. LOL.
I agree. I wish some people I new that tell me Rubber is cheaper were watching this.....

Steve Dunn
sdunnmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Please please please go back to running foam and going fast. This rubber-tire stuff is getting to where the cost advantage (which I assume was why it happened in the first place, I've heard a few other stories though) is evaporating while all of the bad parts like having cars that are super-sensitive to tuning changes, hard to drive, and even harder to save from big crashes when you mess up remain. I liked foam, it was fun.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Read the rules folks.

Sorex 36 with medium red insert, no tire treatment.
3 sets Sorex + 1 set XG-RAIN Pit Shimizu (1 package) available from the Organizer for 100 Euro.
The part number for the slick will be XG-36SR.
2 Sets for the race and 1 set for the free practice.

http://www.machheemstede.nl/wc2012/i...ws/latest-news

Last edited by Team Grid RC; 04-17-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Team Grid RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yes, weight was changed to 1380 g
Tyres will be Sorex 36.
This info has been on the Worlds website for some time.

http://www.ifmar2012worlds.com/
http://www.machheemstede.nl/wc2012/i...ws/latest-news

My personal opinion is that no tyre additive is the right way forward for the class. We should all get away from having to play with chemicals on our tyres, just think about it... But of course that requires a tyre that will work decent from the first lap without any additive. So it needs preparation and time to get it right.

Therefore not right to experiment with rules like this at the worlds first. Do the homework first, then introduce the rule...

But I suspect it will all be ok in the end. As long as the club at MACH and EFRA/IFMAR understand the need to prepare the track so that the chosen tyre will work. What worries me slightly is the choice of the 36 Sorex. This might be too hard a tyre. A 32 Sorex will work decent without any preparation so I would have thought that to be a better choice.

Finally, the F1 teams currently has to figure out how to get the tricky Pirelli tyres to work and they find it hard. In the same way the Worlds racers and teams has to figure out how to get the most from these tyres under the new rules. It will be a challenge...but it's up to each to get the best out of them, if you do, you will be rewarded. Many RC racers are too picky about the tyres and conditions, that they have to work perfect always seems to be the norm. But it's not like this in the real racing world either. Racing is not always perfect grip, perfect conditions. Just get on with it...

Last edited by kentech; 04-17-2012 at 02:42 PM.
kentech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #21
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When they say no additives, does that include homemade ones too??? What about water, saliva ??? Hope they reconsider !
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Pure racing and setup skills can do without additives. So go prove your skills. and stop whining
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #23
Tech Champion

I think the laptimes will be an interesting thing to watch throughout the racing.

As for not allowing additive... hmm. With potentially less grip, I see potential for more crashing due to understeer

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

This is why the only race worth spending any money on is the IIC.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Old 04-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #26
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

As an outsider looking in I wonder how many of the respondents are actually qualified to race at an IFMAR worlds event ?
T Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #27
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

T Tom, don't know about anyone else - but I am! As I said, no problem with what it was they were trying to achieve (i.e get rid of the secret funky tyre treatments), but I don't think no treatment at all is the right way of going about it.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Tom View Post
As an outsider looking in I wonder how many of the respondents are actually qualified to race at an IFMAR worlds event ?
If we're including Rick in the "respondents are actually qualified to race at an IFMAR worlds event" I'd say the count is, well, 1.
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #29
Tech Elite

I know of only one other race where tire treatment was banned and that was one of the recent Reedy Race of Champions events. I don't remember the year but it was the first year away from Tamiya. So 2007 or 2008.

We had actually tested this prior to the race and there was absolutely no problems with running no additive. Of course the track was treated as it normally is and the tire was the correct tire for the the hot track.

Unfortunately the 80-85F temps (130+ F track temps) that were the norm that time of year did not happen due to a freak storm and we ended up with 50F temperatures (it was over 100F the weekend prior) and because of rain had to do a lot of running at night. This was not even so bad because the tires would grip they just needed to be warmed by running. The starts of the races had to be taken carefully.

The difference is that you were allowed to use a new set every run. This to create better racing as the RROC is all heads up racing and supposed to be a show.

One can argue that the Worlds is the top of the ladder and you should get as many tires as you want. But with that argument why have a spec/handout tire? Why not run whatever you want? I personally don't feel that the racing will be affected much by no additive and even less so by using tires 6 times (if you split their use equally).

I don't think that the racing will be affected much and the same guys will shine whether they get 2 sets or 10 sets.

FYI I would rather the drivers get one set for qualifying and one set for mains if they are set on allowing two sets.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #30
Tech Adept

want to buy ISTC Efra rules for 1/8 Track

give away 1/8 Track Efra Nitro rules for free

thilo-alexander is offline   Reply With Quote