R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #271
Tech Fanatic
 
oldrcr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 765
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
There is absolutely zero throttle control required in on road with anything 13.5 and slower. Its punch it and go. Off the corner your full punch. No need for anything less anywhere I have ever run so it will teach you absolutely zero about throttle control.

And you still have the factor that this will put more emphasis on better batteries will accelerate to top speed faster out of every corner. I do agree that it would eliminate one factor but create others.

EA
Maybe thats a problem we need to address as well, a way to help people to learn throttle control. Depending on the wind, acceleration could still be quite good. I am not advocating for 17.5 with an RPM limit, any wind could be used since the top speed would be limited. So if a punchy wind was used, drivers would learn throttle control.

If the point is a desire to have a way to reduce differential because of motors, and the handout ESC/motor was one method, another, an RPM limiting device would allow exact control of top speed of any motor, is simpler, and lessens the ways cheating around it can occur, also it allows most to keep using the ESC or other equipment they have. Yes will other factors such as how good you battery is come into play, sure, but less so, since overall top speed would not be determined by higher battery voltage, something that many play with fire, literally, to get.

So, its not creating more problems, its actually lessening the ones that are present already. How would a handout motor and ESC change people from using a better battery? The hope is, people will find car tuning and better driving is what will provide the best racing, and thats only because it is true.

The RPM limit method just seems simpler, and is why I am suggesting it.

It is good that this is being discussed, it helps bring out ideas about how to decide the best way to achieve the overall goal.
Thanks.
__________________
Alxd - Seattle RC Racers - AWESOMATIX - Having Fun :-)

Last edited by oldrcr; 04-25-2012 at 10:09 AM.
oldrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #272
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Spec or Stock ?

These class's are great, but you have to not care bout the other racer's cheating .....



thus ?
Why I only race mod class's & will never, ever support spec....

Don't have to wonder & worry bout who's legal in mod ...
__________________
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #273
Tech Elite
 
Jochim_18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CALI
Posts: 2,372
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

If you want to learn throttle control run MOD... See you guys at the REEDY race for open MOD...
__________________
Localrcracing.com - Your premiere source of Radio controlled Racing in central California.

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #274
Tech Elite
 
Josh-n-ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 2,189
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

I think mod guys make the best cheaters out there! They are always trying to out think the competition in every aspect. Which is cool in its own right wandering what your opponent is doing next! Spec classes are ok to and yes there is someone in that class always trying to cheat at something as well! Thats why I would like to see RTR out of the box classes be more presented. I would like to see 5 or 6 guys battling it out rather than two pull away from the crowd and just focus on driving rather than cheating!
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #275
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

More rules = More opportunities for cheating
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #276
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
I think mod guys make the best cheaters out there! They are always trying to out think the competition in every aspect. Which is cool in its own right wandering what your opponent is doing next! Spec classes are ok to and yes there is someone in that class always trying to cheat at something as well! Thats why I would like to see RTR out of the box classes be more presented. I would like to see 5 or 6 guys battling it out rather than two pull away from the crowd and just focus on driving rather than cheating!

how R the mod guys cheating ?

Please give us just one example ...

I have lost count on the ways cheating in spec has these days ....


BTW we don't need more class's to cheat in , rather we need just one class for each design, open motors and let the A, B & C mains decide who is the best ...
__________________
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #277
Tech Elite
 
Josh-n-ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 2,189
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
how R the mod guys cheating ?

Please give us just one example ...

I have lost count on the ways cheating in spec has these days ....


BTW we don't need more class's to cheat in , rather we need just one class for each design, open motors and let the A, B & C mains decide who is the best ...
Sorry, I think I said that wrong. Mod people," like myself" are the craftiest people at what they do," not really cheeters". Tweeking this and tweeking that! I know there is no way to really cheat in mod because its open to do whatever you want, NO RULES! Its that craftiness that has carried over to spec classes always pushing boundries! If that makes any since.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #278
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
Sorry, I think I said that wrong. Mod people," like myself" are the craftiest people at what they do," not really cheeters". Tweeking this and tweeking that! I know there is no way to really cheat in mod because its open to do whatever you want, NO RULES! Its that craftiness that has carried over to spec classes always pushing boundries! If that makes any since.
Mod is the only true spec class IMO, all the drivers are
equal in motor , battery & ESC ......


Bonus !
No one in mod has to come off the drivers stand thinking his team mates are less than honest ....

Only reason I race mod is the above

Spec & mod class's just separates & divides the racers, even allows some to say one class is better than the other....


The way we are racing today makes no sense....

It did not use to be this way , stock use to be intended to be a place for the new or less experience racer , someone who had just been bumped out of the novice program...

not anymore , its like you say , now a class of its own & equal to mod ....


so you tell everyone spec is good for the sport , I say it is only good for the manufacturers of spec motors, battery & ESC's....
__________________
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 04-25-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #279
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 248
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
There is absolutely zero throttle control required in on road with anything 13.5 and slower. Its punch it and go. Off the corner your full punch. No need for anything less anywhere I have ever run so it will teach you absolutely zero about throttle control.

And you still have the factor that this will put more emphasis on better batteries will accelerate to top speed faster out of every corner. I do agree that it would eliminate one factor but create others.

EA
Dumbest thing I've read.

What about controlling the throttle into the corner and during the corner...isn't that important? Doesn't throttle control throughout a corner control corner speed? (as much as your setup will allow) And going into consecutive corners? Of course you get to lay the hammer down coming out of a corner onto a straight..with any power.
__________________
www.corrc.org (Colorado On-Road)
bdbachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #280
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbachus View Post
Dumbest thing I've read.

What about controlling the throttle into the corner and during the corner...isn't that important? Doesn't throttle control throughout a corner control corner speed? (as much as your setup will allow) And going into consecutive corners? Of course you get to lay the hammer down coming out of a corner onto a straight..with any power.
The point was he was talking about throttle control out of the corner with top speed. There is a difference between throttle control and brake control. Two different things all together. Anyone can pull it wide open. But how many can push just enough brake when needed and not slam them? Again we were talking about power out of a corner when referring to throttle control.

And if thats the dumbest thing youve read on here you obviously dont know what your talking about in the first place and dont read much. In 17.5 blinky class there is no throttle control. Its hammer down, slam the brakes in the tight corners and barely even lift in others. Go to a big race and watch the A main guys. Im sure club racing may be different but youve got a couple of really good guys that race there in CO with you to learn from and watch.

EA
__________________
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Team EAM | Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | APEX Raceway and Hobbies | RC Mission | Killer Concepts | AVID | Hobbywing.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #281
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

One thing I find funny in this thread lately is how many guys automatically think that as soon as someone beats them they are cheating. Have any of you guys been to a large race (IIC, Nats, Snowbirds, Cleveland) since BL came out and ever heard of anyone caught cheating? Sure there is always someone who is faster but is it because his car is better? Carried more corner speed and uses less battery making him run faster throughout the race?

Come on....The days of cheating are long gone with motors for the most part (unless you oval race of course) LOL. This thread was not created to talk about people who thing everyone is always cheating because they got beat (Cherry...seems to be his same complaint in every thread....and spec sucks and roar sucks, etc). It was created to see what the feelings would be for a class with handout stuff to truely make it a spec class. Then you dont have to worry about which of the 32 speedos to buy that are ROAR legal this week, Which of the 200 motors to buy that are ROAR legal this week, which of the 6 Rotors to run, which of the 3 sensor boards to use...etc etc etc. Its to simplify things for the class that SHOULD BE SIMPLE!! PERIOD!!

Any other babble take it else where.


EDIT: Not directed at oldrcr. You have put in useful thoughts and offered useful opinions for those that are in POWER watching this thread.
EA
__________________
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Team EAM | Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | APEX Raceway and Hobbies | RC Mission | Killer Concepts | AVID | Hobbywing.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #282
Tech Elite
 
hairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In the Good ole' U.S.A.
Posts: 2,323
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

HEY E.A. when you comin' to race with us at M.S.R.A.?
__________________
MERLIN RACING
"He once ran a marathon because it was on his way"
Logic is a lost art!
You are defined in life by how you respond to defeat!
hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #283
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy View Post
HEY E.A. when you comin' to race with us at M.S.R.A.?
Not sure. Any pics of the new place anywhere?
__________________
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Team EAM | Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | APEX Raceway and Hobbies | RC Mission | Killer Concepts | AVID | Hobbywing.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #284
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 248
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
The point was he was talking about throttle control out of the corner with top speed. There is a difference between throttle control and brake control. Two different things all together. Anyone can pull it wide open. But how many can push just enough brake when needed and not slam them? Again we were talking about power out of a corner when referring to throttle control.

And if thats the dumbest thing youve read on here you obviously dont know what your talking about in the first place and dont read much. In 17.5 blinky class there is no throttle control. Its hammer down, slam the brakes in the tight corners and barely even lift in others. Go to a big race and watch the A main guys. Im sure club racing may be different but youve got a couple of really good guys that race there in CO with you to learn from and watch.

EA
I apologize I was unable to decipher "what his point was." I know what he said "There is absolutely zero throttle control required in on road with anything 13.5 and slower. Its punch it and go. Off the corner your full punch. No need for anything less anywhere I have ever run so it will teach you absolutely zero about throttle control."

Seems like a clear read to me, maybe I'm dumb, lol.

When you enter a corner that doesn't require braking and you "barely lift" on the throttle...that's throttle control right?

I would agree with you if your layout is full of 180s, but from what I understand other corners require potential brake and throttle input, both 0-100%, different corners require different inputs. I'm not going to argue with you though, defend your boy, he's right cause he's your boy! lol
__________________
www.corrc.org (Colorado On-Road)
bdbachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #285
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,002
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Original context was to limit top speed via rev limiter. The next question was acceleration disparity among motors and batteries (i.e. when throttle is being pressed, not when held steady entering a corner). And in 4wd tc, weak motors, it is punch the throttle (no real throttle control).
__________________
www.rccartips.com
www.f1rccars.com
www.f1rcclub.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KARZ Calgary xrayroooahhhh Canadian R/C Scene 19114 12-01-2017 01:26 PM
Proposed R.O.A.R. rules change hairy Electric On-Road 741 05-31-2011 06:03 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:16 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net