R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #241
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post
A rental motor or esc seems nice but you can get a faulty esc or motor and then it is right at the back of the line when it fails in the qualifications.

I personaly spoke with someone who got just that during an ETS. It is then a waste of expense, hotel, travel etc etc. He was very clear what he thought about that.

Don't make a mistake of comparing an ETS to a national. ETS is doing great with nice turnouts because, low pricing, marketing, sponsord high class drivers etc etc. Electronics that cost you 30% less then in the stores? Who would not want to go there if you run TC.

It makes it into a well organised event. Get a handfull of drivers from each country together with a large portion of drivers from the host country and it's neighbours and you get a big turnout

As a comparisson our 1/10 electric nationals with 3 classes looks more like a clubrace then a high standard national series when you look at the participants.

The funny part is that the onroad 1/8 nitro is the biggest class here with over 52 entries per national race. And they only have 1 class... They even have to send drivers away because it is full. So it seems cost has nothing to do with turnouts, the perceived value is. The perceived value for an ETS is high becouse of all the things mentioned above.

The moral is you can't compare an ETS oiled marketing machine with a national or any other local event that is run by volunteers with hardly to no money, no sponsors and no high class sponsord drivers and no coverage.
I know of one of the Pro stock racers that had a speedo or sensor board go bad on a motor after a wreck. It was replaced at the ETS and he was on his way the next round. This was an A main qualifier at the end of the week. He didnt seem all that upset from what I saw. But you could be referring to another person.

A bad speedo or sensor board can happen to anyone at anytime especially after a crash. As far as I know they have not handed out any motors or speedo's out of the box that were faulty. Which is a pretty good success rate with as many as they have used this year and years in the past.

But IMO possibly having a faulty handout is no different than a faulty one you bring yourself....Except they replace the faulty handouts at their expense within reason....you bring your own you eat your own expense for a failure.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #242
Team EAM

Quote:
A rental motor or esc seems nice but you can get a faulty esc or motor and then it is right at the back of the line when it fails in the qualifications.

I personaly spoke with someone who got just that during an ETS. It is then a waste of expense, hotel, travel etc etc. He was very clear what he thought about that.
Just FWIW I had radio issues all week while there and didnt realize it was my problem till I only had 2 qualifiers left to go. So I basically spent 2000.00 out of my pocket to take off work and attend this event half way around the world to only look like an ass for 2 days because of a radio....one that is known to have issues and had already had issues at a previous race and was replaced for me. Still having issues.

My point is you can have problems with any electronics...handout or not.

EA
Old 04-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #243
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Just FWIW I had radio issues all week while there and didnt realize it was my problem till I only had 2 qualifiers left to go. So I basically spent 2000.00 out of my pocket to take off work and attend this event half way around the world to only look like an ass for 2 days because of a radio....one that is known to have issues and had already had issues at a previous race and was replaced for me. Still having issues.

EA
what radio did you use?
gdcopbdcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #244
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop View Post
what radio did you use?
Id rather not say at this time. I ended up using a KO EX1 (the new radio) and it was fabulous! Guys that buy that thing are gonna like it!

EA
Old 04-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #245
Tech Master

It wasn't this race but a race from last year and yes it is another person. The esc wasn't broken from an accident he was in but it was faulty from the start and it didn't happen in only one qualification.

If it is your own electronics it is a different feeling then if you rent some from the organisation that are not working properly and bouncing you in one of the last mains even if they exchange it for another used one.

Anyway, yes you are right, electronics can go bad but personaly i would advice to buy and bring your own then to trust on an esc or motor that could be used and abused a lot.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #246
Team EAM

Quote:
It wasn't this race but a race from last year and yes it is another person. The esc wasn't broken from an accident he was in but it was faulty from the start and it didn't happen in only one qualification.

If it is your own electronics it is a different feeling then if you rent some from the organisation that are not working properly and bouncing you in one of the last mains.

Anyway, yes you are right, electronics can go bad but personaly i would advice to buy and bring your own then to trust on an esc or motor that could be used and abused a lot.
Ah OK. Makes sense that is why I didnt hear about it last week. I was with Scotty all week and only knew of the one problem that was taken care of.

I agree that if you borrow something that is defective it leaves a different taste in your mouth than if its something you own.

Thanks for all the info and input here!

EA
Old 04-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #247
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Last edited by ByteStream; 04-19-2012 at 02:10 PM.
ByteStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #248
Team EAM

Last edited by EAMotorsports; 04-19-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #249
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Out of curiosity Eric, do you feel like your results benefited or were hampered because of the spec power package?
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #250
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny-b23 View Post
Out of curiosity Eric, do you feel like your results benefited or were hampered because of the spec power package?
Hey Danny,

No I dont think power had anything to do with it because most were talking about how much power I had there anyway (Only person in the building with Revtech batteries). Most over there run LRP batteries or some other brands that we dont see in the US.

Most of my problem was radio issues that were found later, the carpet there is really low bite and hard to adapt to. Plus the driver stand was the 2nd floor of a building that was hard to adapt to as well. Probably twice as tall as anything Ive ever driven from!

Not to mention that those guys over there dont make many mistakes either! They drive superb and are on their game!
EA

Last edited by EAMotorsports; 04-19-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #251
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi Eric, this is a little off topic, but, how was the tech done at the ETS race? Did they check for battery voltage? Are Lipo bags used at this event? Just curious as we never hear or see that side of the event.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #252
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post

EA
And thats why you have that "LEGO EDITION" KO radio right..? In that case, I wish I have radio problem and have KO to drop off that fancy radio as a loaner...

Did you ended up bringing that radio back to state..?
Solara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #253
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Hi Eric, this is a little off topic, but, how was the tech done at the ETS race? Did they check for battery voltage? Are Lipo bags used at this event? Just curious as we never hear or see that side of the event.

Thanks
Yes battery voltage was done in teck. 8.44 max and if you were over you got to go to the end of the line to bring it down. If you were still over when it was time to race too bad as you couldnt call a grace for over battery voltage.

Yes Lipo sacks were mandatory. They do not tech battery temp over there either.

Basically it was weight, then wing, ride height, battery voltage, tire number, motor number and look at the speedo. Spot checked gearing as well.

EA
Old 04-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #254
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
And thats why you have that "LEGO EDITION" KO radio right..? In that case, I wish I have radio problem and have KO to drop off that fancy radio as a loaner...

Did you ended up bringing that radio back to state..?
Yes the radio problems I had were corrected when I switched to the KO. It was a spare radio that Alex Hagberg had with him. He wasnt comfortable with it yet and was still using his Eurus at this event as he had just gotten the EX1 a week prior. Good thing he had it with him!

I was hoping to bring it back but he caught me sneaking it in my suite case! LOL I am radio shopping now though.

EA
Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #255
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

This is how HAND OUT system work......when the mfr is providing 150 ESCs and 150 motors to the event (ie 150 entries), the organization will receive 225 ESCs and 225 motors (or even more) just to make sure those who has a faulty esc or motor will get replaced in a timely matters.

Drivers are recommended to test their hand out system prior their final installation. Some drivers, do unsolder the stock wires and run something like 12ga instead of the stock 14ga wires in black or blue or whatever. THAT, may not be eligible for the warranty issue.

There should not be anyone will complaint about the faulty ESC or MOTOR because there should be more then enough to cover these cases if that happen.

On the other hand...rental units, that is the driver's choice. I highly doubt any driver from A to D main will rent one of these unit instead of buying one. Rental is always a rental, like renting a car or renting a tools, it is an used item, and there is a reason why they are cheaper....
Solara is online now   Reply With Quote