R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #16
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've used Fm radios from day one, and the antenna length was the only issue in certain tracks with low canopy... I have a specktrum but I have not used it yet. The only thing I realized is that most racers don't use a capacitor on their receivers, and don't sand the tips of their transmitters batteries at all !!! In consequence, they loose control and blame the equipment ......
Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #17
Tech Master

If you are considering getting an M11X, check out the MT-4. Same response times as the the m11x, but smaller and lighter. Cheaper too. It doesn't have a drop down wheel or backlight on the LCD though. It's a great radio. Similar to a dx3r in size and weight but the wheel and trigger feel is much nicer. It also does telemetry.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
I tried a high end fm set because it was cheaper than getting a basic 2.4 and loved it way more than my spektrum. It felt to have a lower latency and had higher response.
Interesting... I ask because I have been using a Futaba 3PJS(top-o-the-line back in 99 lol) converted to 2.4ghz. And when I drive buddies cars using a newer 2.4 radio I feel a bit more connected to the car. Like it is responding more quickly to my inputs.

I thought it was in my head for the longest time, until a month ago. A friend and I both drive Top Rebel 12s, and they are setup virtually identically... However, he is using a Futaba 4PKS while I still have my old POS. He wanted some input on his car setup, so he had me take it for a spin. I was up on the stand anyway, since I had just taken my car out. Driving two basically identical cars, back-to-back, but with different radios.... was... well, eye opening. I felt much more comfortable with his radio. Everything seemed to respond quicker. And not "too quickly", but just right. It was as if everything was happening exactly when I wanted it to. With my car and old radio, I always felt like I had to anticipate things and plan for them, instead of just reacting.

Anyway, Im rambling. And this is off-topic anyway. But I find it very interesting that some people prefer FM over 2.4g due to response time, etc.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #19
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Exactly. It's hard to explain but with the first gen 2.4 stuff, my once excellent driving became very inconsistent. I was making far more mistakes and breaking a lot more stuff. This went on for a full season before I switched back to an FM M8 and my mad skills mysteriously returned overnight. The next season I was given an FM M11 and I got even better. It was just so much more precise than anything 2.4. From what I hear, newer systems have gotten MUCH better but I still just don't trust them. It's not glitches or problems I am concerned about, it's feel and response.

Someone mentioned FM receivers not lasting. Well, I'm still using the receiver that came with my M8 in 1999. After years of nitro use, I did start getting an odd minor glitch with it so I decommissioned it for a while. Then I picked up a WGT car and needed a receiver so I took it apart, sprayed off 10 years worth of nitro grime from it (it was REALLY NASTY), put it in and have run 2 races with it trouble free. Even tq'ed WGT at the MRH season finally last week. Plus I can still find new ones from time to time very cheap.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Active View Post
I never stopped using 27MHz FM. The only real problem is people complaining about the antenna. Although sometimes newbies with old gear turn up and because nobody is checking a frequency board and is just turning their radio on in the pits they think they can too. So, you have to be mindful of new people.

I was at a National Title 2 weeks ago, and someone in the next field had a toy RC car with a frequency radio. The Race Director had to run 100 m to talk to them before we could start the race. Everyone was waiting because of me basically. People were slightly annoyed until I pointed out that they didn't want me to glitch right into the side of them.

This type of thing is pretty rare though. Most of the time I yell out a frequency, look at the stand, don't see any antennas and then switch the car on.
I feel ya' still running a FM M8 and the whining and moaning about the antennae get's old . I guess if I make the leap it will be to a MT-4, with the current special they are running on them. I do like the old M8 with 27fm though, just feels "right", nothing artificial about it. I tried Spektrum when it first came out on the radio and the feel was horrible.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Still using a KO helios comp. I have NEVER had a KO FM receiver fail in over 15 years of using their products.

That being said, I have driven my friend's car with a 2.4 KO Eurus, and it feels quicker.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
Old 04-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

I am running the Futaba 3PB PCM on my old Losi JRX2's, I wanted to run it on one of my drift cars as I have an extra receiver but for some reason it will not work with Tekin RS Pro, I kept trying to set it up and it wont work, so I switch back to the 4PKS and everything work fine.

Is there a fix for this? Can you make the old 75 MHz run with newer brushless ESC and Motors.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use a $100 Airtronics MX Sport 2.4ghz on all my vehicles on and off road, 8 in total, and have never had a problem in the 3 years I've used it... so there.

On a side note, I've nearly lost an eye from people's FM antennas more than once.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

LOL i am running my JR fm synth no thanks on converting don't wanna buy that many receivers

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
Old 04-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbulb View Post
I use a $100 Airtronics MX Sport 2.4ghz on all my vehicles on and off road, 8 in total, and have never had a problem in the 3 years I've used it... so there.

On a side note, I've nearly lost an eye from people's FM antennas more than once.
I only wave it towards another racers eyeball if he's a real hacker
Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #26
Tech Master

So, does anybody know why the 75mhz radio will not work with newew brushless ESC, or is it just the Tekin's?
Old 04-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #27
Suspended

Those who have a problem with fm antennas should stop trying to kiss other racers on the stand ! It's a driverstand, not a make up stand !!!!! Stay away or lose an eye....
Old 04-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #28
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaifd3s View Post
So, does anybody know why the 75mhz radio will not work with newew brushless ESC, or is it just the Tekin's?
I run Tekins and they work fine with all my airtronics FM stuff.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I run Tekins and they work fine with all my airtronics FM stuff.
Same for me with Tekin and KO........
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #30
Tech Master

I wonder if it has something to do with PCM mode
Closed Thread