R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default no way this is true.

so i bought this ECS and this guy says even with a 4000 minhm or something the drive time will only be like 6 or 7 minutes? listen to the last 2-3 minutes of the video..

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
DriftSesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think you're referring to 9:00? I'm not gonna watch the whole thing, but that drive time seems reasonable with Nimh. I didn't listen to see what motor he's running though.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

HobbyWing EZRUN Brushless 07E-EZRUN-Combo-B1 System Combo B1 w/ 35A ESC and [email protected] 3650M Brushless Motor and then what battery do i need ill spend up too 100$ on a battery if it means longer drive time
Old 04-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

Probably should have posted this in off-road if this is for an off-road vehicle? If its for an on-road, you can usually get more runtime on an on-road.

That esc he mentions only goes to 35 amps. Thats really low for a 1/10th esc. Before anything I would suggest returning that for a higher amperage esc, But if your stuck with it.

Sounds like your a basher? Just get a 2cell Lipo battery 5000mah+.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftSesh View Post
so i bought this ECS and this guy says even with a 4000 minhm or something the drive time will only be like 6 or 7 minutes? listen to the last 2-3 minutes of the video..

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
yes the run the run time with a 4000 mah capacity nimh battery is 8 or so minutes. But, with a lipo battery with a much higher capacity, your run times will be allot longer.
Lipos are different to nimh and lipo's technology allows you to have longer run times. Make sure to set the cut off voltage on your ESC when using lipo batteries.
narcotiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

nope mine is a on road RC car, for drifting, so then what kind of battery do you think i should go with? i think this ecs is fine for hard tires to be able to drift, just i want longer run times.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcotiks View Post
Lipos are different to nimh and lipo's technology allows you to have longer run times. Make sure to set the cut off voltage on your ESC when using lipo batteries.
I don't think this statement is accurate. mAh is mAh, regardless of what chemistry is inside the battery. A 4000 mAh LiPo will run just as long as a 4000 mAh NiMH. The main difference between LiPo chemistry & NiMH is that LiPo cells don't slowly degrade over time and lose their capacity, like NiMH & NiCd batteries do. Also, a LiPo will maintain its power throughout almost the entire discharge cycle, instead of fading sooner, like a NiMH would.

Of course, an old, well-used NiMH will have a shortened, less powerful output due to age & wear, but a brand-new 4000 mAh LiPo and new 4000 mAh NiMH should theoretically have almost the same run-times.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

in theroy but not realy cause voltage drop as current is needed the nimh will feel dead before the lipo does so . And that the first charge .it will only get worse as more cycles r put on packs
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
I don't think this statement is accurate. mAh is mAh, regardless of what chemistry is inside the battery. A 4000 mAh LiPo will run just as long as a 4000 mAh NiMH. The main difference between LiPo chemistry & NiMH is that LiPo cells don't slowly degrade over time and lose their capacity, like NiMH & NiCd batteries do. Also, a LiPo will maintain its power throughout almost the entire discharge cycle, instead of fading sooner, like a NiMH would.

Of course, an old, well-used NiMH will have a shortened, less powerful output due to age & wear, but a brand-new 4000 mAh LiPo and new 4000 mAh NiMH should theoretically have almost the same run-times.
The statement is accurate when you consider that nimh cells convert a good deal of the energy stored into heat when discharging.
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i was trying to explain it in the easiest and least technical way, but yes you are right. But lipos do give you longer and punchier run times.
narcotiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

http://www.hobbypartz.com/gensace2s40c.html

there are a lot of people around here that race with these batteries, so they are ideal for low cost basher batteries too.
you can get two 5000s, and maybe still have money for a gens charger for the $100 you wanna spend.

I wouldn't run them much more than 10 minutes, but before i knew anything about these things, i could get almost 20 minutes of play out of a 5000mah lipo. so one charging while you play.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

im looking at that 85$ 10000 one, then buying the charger net pay check
Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

you need a lipo charger to charge lipo batteries. nimh charger will NOT work. get a 5000 and a charger, then a second battery later.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The Gens ace packs linked will be PLENTY of run time for drifting. The 10000 one is very heavy, and large. You DO NOT NEED 10000 Mah.

The esc you have has a low voltage cut off, so long as you set that to say 3.2 or 3.5 volts per cell, you'll be fine. But those packs will last ages for drifting because there isn't a lot of load on the motor it wont be drawing much power.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
you need a lipo charger to charge lipo batteries. nimh charger will NOT work. get a 5000 and a charger, then a second battery later.
Or risk burning your house down.